Sign in to follow this  
Olorin93

Protector of Lorien and Elven Spear

Erestor opens up new possibilities with cards like these. A particular scenario just occurred to me:

I run Erestor and have 10 cards in the planning phase of round 1. Two of these are Protector of Lorien. The card is not unique and has no "1-per-character" restriction. All it has is a "Limit 3 times" for the discard. So nothing stops me from attaching both copies to e.g. Erestor, discard 6 cards and quest with him for 8 Willpower?

The same could be asked about Elven Spear, as you can have 2 restricted attachments. Discard 6 cards, give e.g. Elladan 9 Attack?

The "Limit 3 times per phase" seems to refer to the attachment in question and not to raising the hero's stats overall. Am I wrong?

I agree with your assessment that "per phase" limits are per card/attachment, and do not pertain to raising hero stats overall. The only exception would be if you played an attachment with a "once per game" limit.

From the FAQ:

(1.51) Limitations on card effects

When a card with a triggered effect has a limit on the
number of times that effect can be triggered (i.e. “Once
per round,” “Limit 3 times per phase,” etc.), the limit
is specific to that card. However, if a card has a limit of
“once per game,” that limitation is specific to the player
who triggered it.

So yes......I believe if you want to protect Lorien really really well you can add up to 6 defense with two of those cards. 

The problem is that it's only good for the first turn. After that, not so much.

That's correct. After the first round erestor only draws you 3 new cards each round, unless you build more card draw into the deck.. Assuming you'll still want to play some cards in the early rounds to get the deck up and running, cards like PoL and the spear attached will add little strength to a stat with only 1-3 cards to discard, that's really not much to get the most out of each of these discard attachments each round.

Yes, it's pretty much a one-shot opportunity with the cards we know of so far - I just wondered if power-questing like that on the first round would be legal in theory. If you play the two Protector of Lorien and Nenya, you can mass 12 willpower and potentially clear the first stage of a quest in one go.

Yes, it's pretty much a one-shot opportunity with the cards we know of so far - I just wondered if power-questing like that on the first round would be legal in theory. If you play the two Protector of Lorien and Nenya, you can mass 12 willpower and potentially clear the first stage of a quest in one go.

Might be possible on the older scenarios, but the newer ones are making it more challenging to just quest through each stage easily, and often moving to a new stage results in not being prepared for the transition.

Yeah, referring mainly to older scenarios and ones without conditions like defeating Hill Troll or controlling an objective card. Conflict at the Carrock is usually not a good idea to rush, either.

Agree that the game of "Troll rush" is not likely to catch on

But quests like Into Ithilien where you really want clear the starting location could be mint