Sign in to follow this  
eagletsi111

Question on IG88 B ability?

If you have two target ships one at range 1 and 1 at range 2 from the IG88.   Can you fire primary at range 1 and then if you miss fire heavy laser at the other ship in range 2.    This is the first time I've ever had this done to me?

The TO wasn't sure, so we diced and he allowed it.     I actually think this is a good strategy by the other player.     didn't think it was even doable until he did it.

Just wondering?

Ya, but who does that unless necessary?

In the case of Gunner, or this ability to a lesser extent because of the range denial of secondaries, sometimes you WANT to shoot that high threat ship out at Range 3, but there's a safer target closer.  So, you shoot the ship you WANT to shoot, knowing it will likely evade the shot.  And it does.  Then, you can take your second shot at a target that will more reliably sustain damage.  It's like having Soontir Fel at R3 with 1 HP left, and an unfocused Academy Pilot at R2 with full health.  Soontir is a far bigger threat, and you only need to punch one hit through to clear him.  However, he evades the shot without sweating.  Maybe he doesn't even need to spend a token to do it.  In that case, you'll be more likely to put some damage on the table taking that second shot at the unfocused Academy Pilot, as opposed to potentially wasting a second shot also.

Gunner and Iggy B give you a chance to play your odds without wasting dice entirely.

Well he wasn't the real TO,  there were about 5 assistants there.    This was one of them.   The TO was in the bathroom.    Didn't matter I still won the game, but it was amazing that I've been playing this game since wave 1 and it was the first time anyone ever did that to me.