Sign in to follow this  
Daner0023

Wave 2 Spoilers

I like the novelty of the effect, but Intel is such a bad name for that particular ability, don't you think?

It's consistent with their previous use of intel, now that I think about it. The Intel Officer lets you...well, not deny your opponent one of his ship's defense tokens outright, but make it so he can either use that token now or use it in future game rounds, but not both. Which establishes the precedent of intel impacting your opponent's capabilities and choices rather than providing information. 

I am actually starting to get a tiny bit worried going into Wave 2.  Without a doubt, Gallant Haven + Aces is the best list in the game at the moment (CR-90 swarm is probably better but far far far less forgiving) and Intel and Jan with her handing out of braces makes it even better.  The sky isn't falling, it isn't even close, but I am worried that we haven't seen anything to dethrone this list from the top of the meta. 

I am actually starting to get a tiny bit worried going into Wave 2.  Without a doubt, Gallant Haven + Aces is the best list in the game at the moment (CR-90 swarm is probably better but far far far less forgiving) and Intel and Jan with her handing out of braces makes it even better.  The sky isn't falling, it isn't even close, but I am worried that we haven't seen anything to dethrone this list from the top of the meta.

you my friend live in a different meta, because from my experience demolisher is on top of the metal and imperial aces beat rebel aces, squad to squad, but inflict less damage to ships (Yes even with gallant haven)

you my friend live in a different meta, because from my experience demolisher is on top of the metal and imperial aces beat rebel aces, squad to squad, but inflict less damage to ships (Yes even with gallant haven)

Then I'm not sure what your Rebel players are doing quite frankly.  The Haven + Yavaris + a corvette with wedge, farlander, and tycho + other squadrons is terrifying  You have to do 3 damage to any of the characters to do 1 damage with Haven (Brace to two, Haven ability) and the fighters will NEVER leave range 1.  If Demolisher is making it through a game alive your opponent is doing it wrong.  The VSD also suffers from diminishing returns based on the skill of your opponent; the better they are the worse it is. 

What meta, the game is barely old enough to have a meta let alone a definitive meta list that needs dethroning.

It definitely has a meta.  We've already had 3 events in Houston and are about to have a 4th.  Between all of us in our play group I'd say we've played over 100 games at this point, I personally get in between 5-10 a week.  This isn't speculation :)

Man, these squads look like there going to completely change the squad battles, :( makes me sad.

(Not saying it breaks the game but still)

that's kinda the point of a whole new wave, isn't it :P?

also, rhymer has in my experience trumped haven. If you need to get squadrons away from the fattie, then rhymer is the definite impetus.

it's completely up to the players at that point whether or not the bloody exchange will favor the rebs or imps, but **** will die

Edited by ficklegreendice

What meta, the game is barely old enough to have a meta let alone a definitive meta list that needs dethroning.

I agree

At felforlife are you aware mauler and fel both cause damage that cannot be prevented by gallent haven? And as mentioned by fickle rhymer out ranges the protection of gallant haven forcing your squads to leave

And when I play demolisher against gallant haven I did in fact lose the demolisher, but I Toole down the mk2 as well, and I will gladly exchange my 70-80 point ship for your 100-130+ point ship (depending on the location of your commander)

Man, these squads look like there going to completely change the squad battles, :( makes me sad.

[/u]

I guess, I just don't like the idea of Intel completely making all squad based tactics (at least squad vs squad) obsolete

I agree

At felforlife are you aware mauler and fel both cause damage that cannot be prevented by gallent haven? And as mentioned by fickle rhymer out ranges the protection of gallant haven forcing your squads to leave

And when I play demolisher against gallant haven I did in fact lose the demolisher, but I Toole down the mk2 as well, and I will gladly exchange my 70-80 point ship for your 100-130+ point ship (depending on the location of your commander)

I am aware of this.  Having played probably around 15 games using both in the same list, they are quite good and do work well.  However it is also easy for the Rebel player to shred your squadrons with Yavaris double activations (Wedge triple attacking with Tallon is dumb), and dice play a big factor in this match up.  Rhymer in practice is worse than he is on paper, you still only get one shot with him before they engage and he's essentially done. 

You have to kill the Haven to come out with any sort of victory margin wise, but even if you trade Demolisher for Haven you really need to kill or cripple another ship to have a shot at actually winning the game.  Without Demolisher it's quite easy for his squadrons and corvette to kill your other ship(s). All of my games where I haven't outright lost have been 5-5's or 6-4's at best. 

Edited by felforlife

this is indeed  how the rebels lose that match-up :(

but definitely 100 points :P I wouldn't imagine putting your commander on such a target

[/u]

I guess, I just don't like the idea of Intel completely making all squad based tactics (at least squad vs squad) obsolete

it's hardly obsolete, it just adds a layer of complexity

only a few ships are going to have intel, they're apparently going to suck for their cost (19 points for a sh*tty A-wing? ew) and intel specifies within distance 1 of the ship carrying intel. While this implies that the intel ship can't be locked down (if it doesn't get horribly murdered, that is), it's not going to magically free up the opponent's entire allotment of squadrons to whatever they please. Chiraneau already does that far more effectively :P

Edited by ficklegreendice

Then I'm not sure what your Rebel players are doing quite frankly.  The Haven + Yavaris + a corvette with wedge, farlander, and tycho + other squadrons is terrifying  You have to do 3 damage to any of the characters to do 1 damage with Haven (Brace to two, Haven ability) and the fighters will NEVER leave range 1.  If Demolisher is making it through a game alive your opponent is doing it wrong.  The VSD also suffers from diminishing returns based on the skill of your opponent; the better they are the worse it is. 

It definitely has a meta.  We've already had 3 events in Houston and are about to have a 4th.  Between all of us in our play group I'd say we've played over 100 games at this point, I personally get in between 5-10 a week.  This isn't speculation :)

Is this how Gallant Haven works? We'd been playing that the damage was reduced before Brace was spent. I'm not certain that I'm right about that, but I'm not sure it's clear one way or the other.

I agree

I am aware of this.  Having played probably around 15 games using both in the same list, they are quite good and do work well.  However it is also easy for the Rebel player to shred your squadrons with Yavaris double activations (Wedge triple attacking with Tallon is dumb), and dice play a big factor in this match up.  Rhymer in practice is worse than he is on paper, you still only get one shot with him before they engage and he's essentially done. 

You have to kill the Haven to come out with any sort of victory margin wise, but even if you trade Demolisher for Haven you really need to kill or cripple another ship to have a shot at actually winning the game.  Without Demolisher it's quite easy for his squadrons and corvette to kill your other ship(s). All of my games where I haven't outright lost have been 5-5's or 6-4's at best.

From my experience rhymer is GREAT in practice especially paired with chiraneu and corrupted which makes them essentially unenageable and practicle garentees a bombing run every turn, other than that you are correct, wedge throwing 18 dice is stupid good! But so is a swarm of intercepters throwing 6 dice apiece

All I am really saying is that you seam to be underestimat ing the opposition and overestimate ing your own stuff

You know we can always play on Vassal if you want...

And for the record I play Empire.  My opponents are the ones that are playing the Haven lists.  Interceptors throwing 6 dice a piece still average out to 3 damage which ends up being one with Haven+Brace.  Interceptors also die really really quickly and counter against Haven is laughable.  As for the VSD comment, the reason it's true is because if you're good at positioning, you can ensure that you won't end up in the front of the VSD where it gets the most dice.  Even if you do end up in the front, it's far easier to stay out of medium/close range and only take red dice from it. 

Edited by felforlife

You know we can always play on Vassal if you want...

And for the record I play Empire.  My opponents are the ones that are playing the Haven lists.  Interceptors throwing 6 dice a piece still average out to 3 damage which ends up being one with Haven+Brace.  Interceptors also die really really quickly and counter against Haven is laughable.  As for the VSD comment, the reason it's true is because if you're good at positioning, you can ensure that you won't end up in the front of the VSD where it gets the most dice.  Even if you do end up in the front, it's far easier to stay out of medium/close range and only take red dice from it.

Does vassel have wave 1 yet?

And your problem against haven is, well your engaging the rebels on THIER terms if you ever shoot at a squad that is protected by haven, use rhymer and stay at medium range, force them to leave distance 1 of haven it is not the far from the ship, seriously. And you are right that it is relatively easy to stay out of close range of the front of a vsd, but a good imperial player will understand that a Vic is powerful NOT because it kills things but because it can be used to Heard your opponent, to force him to go were he other wise would not go, and then you use the other ships to win the game ( and 2 vice can effectively heard a rebel into the other one I found that unless the rebel is first player at least 1 6 dice attack is enevitble)

I feel like we are getting to the point where it's about time for some news, although far as I see wave 2 remains in development.

I've been that way for a couple weeks now. What with the rumoured July release (looking more and more unlikely by the day).

I'm placing bets on new news either on Friday or next Monday.

Might be a showcase article where they dangle 2-3 cards over our heads, and spoil a little bit more on the ship.

Heh, they can get probably 4 articles, or more! Can probably devote a whole one to Darth Vader and Admiral Akabar while they are at it, and talk about the changing game as it moves up to 400 points.

Might be a showcase article where they dangle 2-3 cards over our heads, and spoil a little bit more on the ship.

Heh, they can get probably 4 articles, or more! Can probably devote a whole one to Darth Vader and Admiral Akabar while they are at it, and talk about the changing game as it moves up to 400 points.

Probably just gonna upgrade my VSD into an ISD. Fit a raider in too if I can help it.

Probably just gonna upgrade my VSD into an ISD. Fit a raider in too if I can help it.

I got 2 VSDs, I'm getting an ISD, and you can bet your ass I'm running 3 SDs

and unless Vader is the absolute ****, Tarkin's running the show :D