Sign in to follow this  
yoink101

Fastest ship in the galaxy? Yeah right...

So, when Han meets Luke and tells him that the Milenium Falcon is super fast and "made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs" guess what? He was full of it.

Here's why:

Han Solo is a scoundrel, a thief, and a liar. The Falcon breaks down almost every time they take off. Chewie spends weeks fixing the ship while they are hanging out on Hoth, and it's still beat to crap when they get to Cloud City.

The Milenium Falcon is a slow, outdated, worn down, piece of crap when pieces added on to an already crappy generic frieghter. I get that we want the Falcon to be a glorious ship, but are we really gullible enough to take Han at his word? I'm not.

Well since his example is making the run in less than <unit of linear distance>; not time.  I assume it is a result of piloting and not raw speed.  He managed to dodge all the obstacles along the run meaning he could go straight through it and not around. 

FYI the Kessel run was 18 parsecs and he did the route in 12.

Also, the ANH script says that Han is lying.

Yeah! I didn't realize this was actually in the script. I always thought Lucas had screwed up and didn't realize parsecs was a distance measurement, but the script seems to indicate that he was full of it and Ol' Ben knew it.

Well, I do think that Lucas made a mistake here, that was subsequently papered over. I think that what Han was lying about was that he could actually make the Kessel Run in that short of a distance.

Now, the MF does have a very fast hyperdrive (0.5, which means that the standard time it takes to travel between two points is cut in half), so he's not lying about that perse.

Now, while I've worked with it, I do think the way that West End Games (assuming they were the first to try to explain this) worked it out in terms of hyperdrive classes is a little clunky, but it does seem like it's the accepted understanding of these things.

So, when Han meets Luke and tells him that the Milenium Falcon is super fast and "made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs" guess what? He was full of it.

Here's why:

Han Solo is a scoundrel, a thief, and a liar. The Falcon breaks down almost every time they take off. Chewie spends weeks fixing the ship while they are hanging out on Hoth, and it's still beat to crap when they get to Cloud City.

The Milenium Falcon is a slow, outdated, worn down, piece of crap when pieces added on to an already crappy generic frieghter. I get that we want the Falcon to be a glorious ship, but are we really gullible enough to take Han at his word? I'm not.

Wasn't it simply the hyperdrive that made is the fastest ship in the galaxy, not the primary engine?  It could be a flying trashcan with the best hyperdrive and wind up being the fastest ship...

Well since his example is making the run in less than <unit of linear distance>; not time.  I assume it is a result of piloting and not raw speed.  He managed to dodge all the obstacles along the run meaning he could go straight through it and not around. 

FYI the Kessel run was 18 parsecs and he did the route in 12.

As I understand the EU explanation, the Falcon could travel the same distance in hyper-drive in about half the time as other ships, meaning shorter transit times (which even in hyperspace could take days). Furthermore, Han knew a lot of "shortcuts" from established hyperspace lanes that most sane people didn't travel.

Additionally (though my memory could be fuzzy) he had warship grade hyper-drive, shields, and reactor squeezed into the ship (among other things). Which is pretty much why it was perpetually on the brink of exploding, catching fire, losing power, and generally falling apart.

Han was the bootlegger of Star Wars, and just like them, had pimped his ride.

I believed that line was Han spouting space jargon to sound self-important and wasn't supposed to be taken at face value. He also had a space babe visiting him before Luke and company showed up.

Point being there's much about ANH han that is different from what the character turned out to be. Fibbing and throwing out space facts to make him seem important is not beyond scum han. So I don't give much thought to the "Twelve parsecs" line being an indicator of the Falcon's speed.

Now, "being on the other side of the galaxy by now" from a, what, two hours after evading the Avenger? is impressive.

Edited by Norsehound

If Han was lying in ANH about its speed, why did the same fact come up when conversing with Lando in ROTJ?  If memory serves, before the battle of Endor, Han insists Lando take it saying "You need all the help you can get, she's the fastest ship in the fleet."  Considering Lando was the previous owner of the Falcon, I doubt Han was being disingenuous.

Even if the script said Han was lying in ANH, that doesn't mean the idea translated on screen.  Lots of things changed through the creation of the movies.  For example, notice how Obi-Wan and Vader use both hands in their duel on the Death Star? The idea was that lightsabers had so much raw energy it was hard to control, requiring two hands to swing, which is why their duel is so lethargic, like two geriatrics swinging around giant wet sausages.  Yeah, that **** went our the window the very next movie.  Luke and Vader were doing one handed Jackie Chan bull**** flips and ****.

Point is, maybe the original idea was that Han was lying, and then ole George changed his mind.   He does that a lot . . . actually . . . *cough*HanShotFirst*cough* . . .

Now, "being on the other side of the galaxy by now" from a, what, two hours after evading the Avenger? is impressive.

The other day I missed an asteroid with my Vic-II by 1/4" and said I "missed it by a mile!". I don't think I was lying, but should I be taken literally?

Actually, in realistic space distances you probably missed it by thousands of miles! ;)

Yeah, I use exaggerating expressions all of the time in Armada "way out of close range" and the like simply means that there is no question as to the measurement, however small the distance actually is (often within an inch.)

Exaggeration is by definition false, but not necessarily lying or dishonesty. I'm 1,000% of it.

The other day I missed an asteroid with my Vic-II by 1/4" and said I "missed it by a mile!". I don't think I was lying, but should I be taken literally?

Actually, in realistic space distances you probably missed it by thousands of miles! ;)

Yeah, I use exaggerating expressions all of the time in Armada "way out of close range" and the like simply means that there is no question as to the measurement, however small the distance actually is (often within an inch.)

Exaggeration is by definition false, but not necessarily lying or dishonesty. I'm 1,000% of it.

1000% of what?

I'm betting cheesecake. I know I'm about 1000% cheesecake, or rather would be if left to my own devices.

But bacon, yeah I'm 500% bacon. Got that one down to a science.

Edited by Deathseed

it's also possible han was full of ****, got his reward for helping rescue lea, pimped the **** out of the falcon, came back just in time to pimp slap old man Vader, and had a super spruced up freighter for the other two movies

But then Lando says: "You know, that ship's saved my life quite a few times. She's the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy!"

Bootlegger. Pirate. Smuggler. Scoundrel. Liar.

So when does Han get the Boba Fett treatment and we see a Scum YT-1300 with a pre-ANH Solo pilot?

Fat Scum Han with 3 Binayre Z-95s VS Fat Rebel Han with his 3 z-95s. Epic.