Sign in to follow this  
clontroper5

I officially LOVE Warlord

It would be pretty astounding if it was FAQ'd to only allow switching to a single hit. And frankly, would reflect poorly on the game's current rules developers.

Heck, it seems the whole point of moving to this fancy and varied attack dice model is exactly to allow for situations like this, giving abilities like Screed and Warlord varying levels are effectiveness depending on which kind of attack dice are being rolled at the time.

Indeed.

I also don't see any balance issues.

Warlord: Clearly most useful in the blue (VSDii) version, since you'll be rolling more accuracy. You COULD add H9 turbos to make Warlord even more effective, turning a single hit into a double one, but that's another 8 points. With the H9 you could go VSDi I suppose, to save some points, but in my experience the difference between short and medium range is significant for a VSD. If you sink so many points into something, it should do some good, right? Plus there will be times when you need those accuracy icons and can't swap. So it's not OP, not by a long shot.

It would be pretty astounding if it was FAQ'd to only allow switching to a single hit. And frankly, would reflect poorly on the game's current rules developers.

Heck, it seems the whole point of moving to this fancy and varied attack dice model is exactly to allow for situations like this, giving abilities like Screed and Warlord varying levels are effectiveness depending on which kind of attack dice are being rolled at the time.

Indeed.

I also don't see any balance issues.

Warlord: Clearly most useful in the blue (VSDii) version, since you'll be rolling more accuracy. You COULD add H9 turbos to make Warlord even more effective, turning a single hit into a double one, but that's another 8 points. With the H9 you could go VSDi I suppose, to save some points, but in my experience the difference between short and medium range is significant for a VSD. If you sink so many points into something, it should do some good, right? Plus there will be times when you need those accuracy icons and can't swap. So it's not OP, not by a long shot.

agreed on the lack of balance issues. It's 16 points for guaranteed returns, which is significant

My hope on the 16 spent on warlord + h9 versus VSD - II is that the VSD will turn into more of a long range powerhouse. Since the combo focuses on red dice and basically results in an extra damage (hit --> acc --> double hit; more if you get lucky enough to roll a natural accuracy) it should give the vic more license to pound things from further away, mitigating its glaring arc dependency and slowness

of course that's only my hope, I have yet to find a rebel opponent to send my VSDs against :(

really excited for what warlord could acomplish under tarkin :)

Its probably something to do with either not expecting the double hit face to be used, or not expecting the combo with the H9's.

If we look at the points cost of Warlord, it is considerably cheaper than Dominator, which you have to pay the points, PLUS burn 2 shields for even a "chance" to roll a couple of extra hits, as opposed to (essentially) a gauranteed hit, (or double hit even depending on ruling) when a decent (Victory SD) number of dice are already being rolled.

Just got an email from FFG about H9 and Warlord...it CAN be used against each squadron.

Quote from FFG email:

You can use H9 Turbolasers and the Warlord title against each squadron. Each attack against a squadron is intended to be treated as a separate attack; the next version of the FAQ will include a Rules Reference clarification for this issue.

Thanks for playing!

James Kniffen
Game Designer
Fantasy Flight Games

Its probably something to do with either not expecting the double hit face to be used, or not expecting the combo with the H9's.

If we look at the points cost of Warlord, it is considerably cheaper than Dominator, which you have to pay the points, PLUS burn 2 shields for even a "chance" to roll a couple of extra hits, as opposed to (essentially) a gauranteed hit, (or double hit even depending on ruling) when a decent (Victory SD) number of dice are already being rolled.

erm, not quite

Warlord + H9 is four points more expensive than dominator and takes up two upgrade slots, unless you like risking the 1/8 chance of rolling a red accuracy which is anything but guaranteed

what is guaranteed are the blue dice, which have hits, crits, and accuracies with no blanks at all. The chance that they aren't useful (Accuracy saturation) are low considering how few accuracies the other colors have (1/8 red, 0 on black). You'd basically need to get terribly unlucky on a VSD-2 front arc shot to not get amazing returns out of that title.

Just got an email from FFG about H9 and Warlord...it CAN be used against each squadron.

Quote from FFG email:

You can use H9 Turbolasers and the Warlord title against each squadron. Each attack against a squadron is intended to be treated as a separate attack; the next version of the FAQ will include a Rules Reference clarification for this issue.

Thanks for playing!

James Kniffen
Game Designer
Fantasy Flight Games

now this is just ******* nasty and I love it :D

it'll be a chuncky VSD, but

VSD - 1

*Gunnery Team (7)

*Int Agent (7)

*H9 (8)

*Warlord (8)

[103]

is going to find a lot of space in my 400 pointers

Edited by ficklegreendice

Why gunnery team? Warlord+H9's is brutal when lining up side+front shots. Use the weaker side shot to make them deal with 2 guaranteed damage (with a possibility of 3-4) and burn defensive tokens, before using your front arc. The 2 red dice sides are very strong, much stronger than people realize at first. Hell, even 1 red dice means 2 damage.

I am confused why people think you should not be able to flip to a hit hit.

It seems like a non-issue.

Why gunnery team? Warlord+H9's is brutal when lining up side+front shots. Use the weaker side shot to make them deal with 2 guaranteed damage (with a possibility of 3-4) and burn defensive tokens, before using your front arc. The 2 red dice sides are very strong, much stronger than people realize at first. Hell, even 1 red dice means 2 damage.

well since the anti-squadron guaranteed damage thing has been confirmed for viable, I'd liked to be able to guarantee damage in one volley and then anti-ship in the other (wouldn't want to waste a nice front arc, after all)

Still no response on the double hit facing. :/

Hello, Bjørn,

In response to your question:

Rules Question:

SW: Armada Question regarding cards that allow you to turn a dice face into a face that contains a specific symbol. Examples: Admiral Screed Warlord Can we get a FAQ entry SPECIFICALLY stating that Screed can change a dice into HIT-CRIT (black dice) and Warlord HIT-HIT (red dice)? It seems IMPLIED by the rules - there are only 3 types of icons: HIT, CRIT, ACC, so it follows that the HIT-HIT face (for example) is merely composed of two instances of the HIT icon, and should therefore be a valid pick for Warlord. There are several discussions re. this issue - both in tournaments and on the forum, without any CLEAR and DEFINITIVE answers. Thank you. Bjørn

We’ll add these clarifications to the next version of the FAQ. Screed can change a black die to a face that contains both the HIT and CRIT icon, and Warlord can change a red die to the face with 2 HIT icons.

Thanks for playing!

James Kniffen
Game Designer
Fantasy Flight Games

Here we have the answer:

In response to your question:

Rules Question:

There seems to be some debate about this on the forums, so I'll ask here for all our sakes: If a ship declares fire on multiple squadrons, can the H9 Turbolasers and/or Warlord title card effects be triggered/used against each squadron attacked/rolled against or just ONE squadron it fires at. Put another way, can the Warlord and H9 Turbolasers card effects be used against more than one squadron during a single activation?

Thanks for playing!

James Kniffen
Game Designer
Fantasy Flight Games

Brunscheon and I stand vindicated. :lol:
Edited by Deathseed

Well , Brunscheon it's a debate because you're still insisting on interpreting it incorrectly. Bolding and increasing the font size don't make you any more right.

You are quoting from the learn to play, stop doing that. The rules reference is the "definative source of rules information for Star Wars Armada". The RRG is "the rules" for Armada. Think of the learn to play guide, as a guide that teaches new players how to play.

When you read "Attack" on page 2, you will find that each targeting of a squadron is not a separate attack, it is all part of one of a ships two separate attacks.

The "while" timing states that a "while" effect (Warlord, H9) may be resolved during the specified event and may not occur again during that instance of the event.

Therefore, Warlord and H9 may only be resolved once during an attack. Resolving it against each squadron would be resolving it more than once, and is not allowed.

Jochmann - To answer your question the Attack Phase is not the event referenced by "when attacking" attacking is the event covered under "attack". Each attack is a separate instance of the event.

Under FFG's templating, the card should have referenced an event that is repeated against each squadron "when attacking" if they wanted to make it usable for each roll.

I think it is perhaps time to retract that statement.

Edited by Deathseed

Um, are you maybe thinking about Enhanced Armament CC, though you can't have that and H9 obviously?

Gunnery team just lets you attack twice from the same hull zone on different targets. Then again I can certainly see a point in doing so (like pinging a ship and melting some fighters glommed up on a hull zone). I'm simply confused how it fits your example since you describe firing from two different hull zones.

I haven't had my coffee, so I'm probably just missing the point you were making.

I withdraw my confusion. You were asking a question, not supporting the use of gunnery team. See? The caffeine is kicking in.

Well, there have certainly been times when I have lost shots because my viable arc was limited to one hull zone, so I've indeed had times I wished I had taken gunnery team myself. Given how sluggish the VSD is, it's a more common problem for it. that said, it's one of those upgrades that I'm chronically on the fence about.

Edited by Deathseed

Wow, this is a crazy thread to read through. 

Here is the latest FAQ which covers this topic.

FAQ Version 1.1.1 Updated July 24, 2015

Attack

P.2 Step 6, “Declare Additional Squadron Target,” should include the following bullet point:

“Treat each repetition of steps 2 through 6 as a new attack for the purposes of resolving card effects.”

So, if the email Deathseed provided wasn't enough proof for anyone, you can see the FAQ for yourself.

Edited by Grand Moff Kaine