Sign in to follow this  
clontroper5

I officially LOVE Warlord

I found one serious drawback, though: Warlord and H9 allows to modify one die per attack - attacks vs. squadrons count as one attack, no matter how many squadrons you really attack. So this pretty pricey combo works against exactly one squadron, while the Point Defense Reroute allows rerolling crits while attacking squadrons.

ahh, excellent catch, it will still work to increase your damage output but you are right, I still like warlord though

I still think it is an effecient way with x-17s and intel officer to really hammer something like the assualt frigate or just one shot smaller ships.  use the brace and you lose it, and you can only redirect 1 .  I may start trying it out as i feel my vic is missing some omph.

the intel + x-17 is a great combo, I just hope the VSD can make proper use of it given how expensive it + warlord is. For 73 points base, it's basically farting out the same offense as a neb (albeit from a far more durable platform)

A VSD - 2 gets even more expensive (105) but holy hell imagine that front arc ^_^

problem is how well that will compare with dominator

I found one serious drawback, though: Warlord and H9 allows to modify one die per attack - attacks vs. squadrons count as one attack, no matter how many squadrons you really attack. So this pretty pricey combo works against exactly one squadron, while the Point Defense Reroute allows rerolling crits while attacking squadrons.

According to the LtP guide:

Attacking Squadrons with a Ship

When a ship attacks a squadron, it can perform one attack against each squadron inside the firing arc and at attack range of the attacking hull zone. Each attack is resolved separately.

I read that as each squadron attacked is a separate attack, thus you would be able to modify each.

But the Rrg says that 1 attack is declared against ALL squadrens, so you can only use it once

then what about a concentrate fire command... Shouldn't you then add a die to the roll against each squadron?

According to the LtP guide:

Attacking Squadrons with a Ship

When a ship attacks a squadron, it can perform one attack against each squadron inside the firing arc and at attack range of the attacking hull zone. Each attack is resolved separately.

I read that as each squadron attacked is a separate attack, thus you would be able to modify each.

Furthermore, per the RR page 2, under the Attack heading, step 6:

Declare Additional Squadron Target: If the attacker is

a ship and the defender was a squadron, the attacker

can declare another enemy squadron as a defender

and repeat steps 2 through 6. The new defender must

be inside the firing arc and at attack range of the same

attacking hull zone. Each enemy squadron can be

targeted only once per attack.

Just so happens that step 3 of steps 2-6 covers the following:

Modify Dice: The attacker can resolve any of its

effects that modify its dice. This includes card effects

and the (concentrate fire symbol) command.

So far as I read it, by this rule, the Warlord and H9 lasers get their chance against each squadron target/defender rolled against.

Also, the cards read as following:

H9 Turbolasers - "While attacking, you may change 1 die face with a hit or crit to a face with an accuracy icon."

Warlord - "While attacking you may rotate 1 die face with an accuracy icon to a face with a hit icon."

These cards say while attacking you may change 1 die face. The 1 die face part is quantitative, meant to illustrate that you may only change 1 die face per roll instead of 2 or 3 or X die faces. It does not say "Once per activation, while attacking, you may..."

Note that these are card effects that modify dice and are covered by the step 3 bullet, which is itself within the steps 2-6 the rules reference specifically states that you repeat when you choose another squadron as defender.

Edited by Deathseed

But the Rrg says that 1 attack is declared against ALL squadrens, so you can only use it once

Where are you seeing this? I'm reading it right now

6. Declare Additional Squadron Target:

If the attacker is a ship and the defender was a squadron, the attacker can declare another enemy squadron as a defender and repeat steps 2 through 6. The new defender must be inside the firing arc and at attack range of the same attacking hull zone.

Basically you start over at step 1 declaring a target. I don't see any where it stating that it only counts as a single attack.

Ah, I can see why this wording would be confusing

I can't access the rules now, but I believe the answer lies in the difference between the approximate wordings:

anti-squadron attacks as (instead of) one of your two attacks

or

one of your attacks can be made against every squadron in range using your anti-squadron battery

don't remember which Armada uses

Edited by ficklegreendice

Where are you seeing this? I'm reading it right now

6. Declare Additional Squadron Target:

If the attacker is a ship and the defender was a squadron, the attacker can declare another enemy squadron as a defender and repeat steps 2 through 6. The new defender must be inside the firing arc and at attack range of the same attacking hull zone.

Basically you start over at step 1 declaring a target. I don't see any where it stating that it only counts as a single attack.

It say declare an ADDITIONAL DEFENDER not a new attack, that is a difference

then what about a concentrate fire command... Shouldn't you then add a die to the roll against each squadron?

Actually it works the Same as cf commands, which is why it only can be used once

rereading the cards they say, "While attacking" not once per attack.

This could be interpreted as meaning once for EACH DICE POOL.

which would make warlord and h9 trigger every time you roll, I was thinking otherwise because concentrate fire can only be used on 1 roll, but that's because you can only use concentrate fire once per round. So things like screed, overload pulse and Intel officer apply to that category but warlord and h9 seem to have no such restrictions.

They just say you use them while attacking...

Warlord and H9 both allow to use their effect on one die while attacking, not one die per dice roll. They do not even grant these effects per attack, but per activation.

Warlord and H9 both allow to use their effect on one die while attacking, not one die per dice roll. They do not even grant these effects per attack, but per activation.

Sounds reasonable. Does everyone else Agree?

Acording to what?

Because then imo it would have said "once per activation while attacking..." Like screed.

Or sonse what you are suggesting is that a ship can only use it once a turn they would have said to"while attacking you may exhaust this card to..." Like on overload pulse or Intel officer

Ok I believe I have found the correct ruling at last!

On pg5 of the rrg, under effects use and timing it says

"A 'while' effect can be resolved during the specified event and CANNOT OCCUR AGAIN FOR THAT INSTANCE OF THE EVENT"

I did not catch this before and this line is what prevents the warlord and h9 cards from being used against every squad they shoot at in one attack because, it is all one instance of that attack.

Hence our previous conclusion that you could only use it effect 1 fall against squads e as correct.

Carry on

Ninja'ed...

While effect: a "while" effect can be resolved during the specified event and cannot occur for that instance of the effect.

This leaves us with a problem: a ship can perform two attacks during its attack step. Is this attack step the "While attacking", because it will finish all its attacks during this step, is a single attack of those two "while attacking", because it is a different attack or is every single roll against a squadron "While attacking" because a different defender gets attacked?

I prefer version b), a single attack is "while attacking", mainly because the "otherwise it would be an exhaustion effect" arguement seems right, but this is no proof. c) seems utterly wrong, as another defender means still the same attack, but a) seems as legit as b) ruleswise.

Each attack is a separate event. You can attack twice, once or not at all (depending on targets etc). 

So the combo can be used once during the first attack, and once during the second attack.

Still it is the same activation step called "Attack". It is a valid arguement to refer to this step as "attacking".

I don't think FFG intended to interpret it this way, but I am hoping on an errata regarding this issue. Until one arrives, I will handle "while attacking" as "while performing a single attack".

Still very confused. What is an event? Is gathering your dice pool an event, rolling the dice, ect? Is each step of an attack an event?

Maybe thy never thought of this being used against squadrons.

Of course is gathering a dice pool an event, as every other step of an attack as well, but these are not the events referred to. Attacking is the event referred to, but, sadly, this is not clear either.

Edited by Jochmann

Please note: Point defense reroute reads very similar:

While attacking a squadron at close range, you may reroll your crit icons.

So does that mean you can only reroll once per declared anti squadron arc attack, or during each roll for in-arc close range squadrons?

Simple-minded me thinks that it should work against all in arc close range squadrons.

Therefore Warlord and H9s work the same way.