Sign in to follow this  
GMLumpy

Getting Kids into Star Wars RPG (cross posted)

hello,

I have been playing a version of the Star Wars RPG since the Rivsed edition from that other company.  

I have a 7 year old who is ready to play in an RPG and he loves Star Wars.  I would like to run a campaign with him and my wife (and I'll have a GM character). My question is has anyone done a sucessful campagin with only 2 players or one with a young newbie? I am looking for a simple story that is kid friendly (PG rating) and not too complex so he won't get frustrated or overwhemed with everything.

I figured there are many better GMs out there who must have done this before and would be able to give me some advise, what worked & what didn't, etc.  

thanks in advnace

PS I am posting this in the Age of Rebellion board as well.  

Pretty much all of the published adventures can be PG, since the "rating" is generally up to the players.  Depending on how they're played, there can be a blood bath, or just a lot of unconscious adversaries :)  As Desslok said, the beginner game adventures are very simple to play and are great for kids or those new to roleplaying games.  The two beginner game continuation adventures (Long Arm of the Hutt, and Operation : Shadowpoint) can also be geared toward kids, although they both have a number of roleplaying scenes which kids might find dull compared to action and combat.  A few adventures might mention spice smuggling (ie, illegal drug trafficking) or other seedy kinds of behavior, so those parts may need to be glossed over for a 7 year old.  Some also can have more complex plots which can be simplified for the younglings, depending on their age and maturity level.

When it comes down to it, it's all Star Wars, and can be made as G-rated or as adult-oriented as needed for the audience.

what those 2 said! :)

2 players are enough and in my experience a 7 year old should be able to have a lot of fun with ffg star wars. make sure to understand the dice yourself, so you can explain how to use them. ;)

i once gm'd for my father (who had never played an rpg before) and my nephew (who, at the time played for the first time). it wasn't star wars but the steup worked well. i'm sure you'll have a lot of fun.

This recent thread might help you, someone having a game with his wife and 10yo daughter:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/177563-from-murderous-thugs-to-well-oiled-machine/

You can of course make the stories as dark or light as you see fit.

I started playing RPGs with my kids around that age...it was D&D 4th edition, and the rules for that game are far more complicated, I would expect most kids to handle the basics of this game easily.

I can say that the FFG Star Wars game works great with younger kids. I frequently run demos for 6, 7, 8 year olds, and they manage the game very well. I have a tendency to simplify a few items to begin for the younger kids. I got rid of Force Points, got rid of HP for minions/rivals, instead just saying someone is down, or hurt, hurt bad, then down, depending on what the stat block intent was. These are elements that you might bring back in later once the newbs have mastered the basic concepts of the game and are ready for a bit more to work with. 

I was overly cautious when bringing in my kid to the session. My 10 year old daughter picked up the dice and the basic rules stuff easily. Just remember the primary rule is to have fun. Some things require patience, but their imaginations are still active enough to be very entertaining and she did a better job than all my adult players during character development at really defining who she was playing.   

My current group is running a homebrew using both EotG and AoR. The group consists of most of my kids (sons ages 13, 12, 10, 6 and my daughter who is 8). The four year old is the only one not playing :).

We first ran through the AoR beginner box adventure and then they built fresh full characters and we are going from there. Building the characters with the 6 and 8 year old I asked questions like, what is he/she like, what do they like to do, what do you see them doing in the adventure.

my daughter said things like: she builds things, so we talked about an engineer from AoR (she is a recruiter for the rebellion, but only she knows this) and she liked the mechanic specialization. My 6 year old said things like, he blows things up and is strong--so he is a demolitionist with lots of grenades. My 8 year old does good with skills and talents, but the 6 year old mostly narrates and we as a group distill it to the mechanics--it actually helps the older ones be more narrative in their actions too.

Now, just know one thing, and actually this helps me as a GM, they don't expect or do great with super deep, plot entangled adventures--but that makes it easier for me to prep and it means we can sit down and get rolling on the next encounters pretty quickly. Not to say that its completely superficial, but the 12 and 13 year old are the ones who pick up on the "there must be a bunker under this village because of the way the ground seems to shift when we walk across it ... them Gamorreans must be hiding something or completely unaware that someone is up to something under their feet." So, your wife may have to help guide the party a bit, but probably not for long.

Give it a go, this is a great system for the younger gamer who may not be able to build their own dice pool or calculate odds on a d20, but can say "I hide behind this rock and shoot at that storm trooper."

Edited by phaedrus