Sign in to follow this  
GlobeTrotting

Are triple YV-666 builds going to be a thing?

Yes, it'll ultimately depend on the dial and cost (seems like the generic will cost 30 points max?), but having three 3-dice 180 degree arcs spread over 36 HP seems pretty legit, especially with all those crew spots. E.g., you could just load them up with five tacticians and that alone seems like it could be pretty potent to me.

Disagree? Other potential builds with multiple YVs?

Edited by GlobeTrotting

Yes, it'll ultimately depend on the dial and cost (seems like the generic will cost 30 points max?), but having three 3-dice 180 degree arcs spread over 36 HP seems pretty legit, especially with all those crew spots. E.g., you could just load them up with five tacticians and that alone seems like it could be pretty potent to me.

Disagree? Other potential builds with multiple YVs?

Bossk (44)

YV-666 (35)

Ion Cannon (3)

Tactician (2)

Tactician (2)

Tactician (2)

Kath Scarlet (56)

Firespray-31 (38)

Opportunist (4)

Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

K4 Security Droid (3)

Engine Upgrade (4)

I call it the one-two punch.  

Use Bossk to ion/triple stress a target, then get Kath's rear arc on the target and use your almost 100% guaranteed Opportunist for a 5/6 dice modifiable attack.  HLC is so that Kath is always throwing at least 4 dice and denies R3 bonuses from the front arc.

EDIT: Not multiple YV's, but we only know the cost of Bossk so far anyways.

Plus I liked the Tactician idea.

Edited by Sparklelord

Note - with the 180 arc being dotted lined, I fully expect it to be something like you can shoot out of primary arc up to 180.  And as such, Tactician will only work in the primary arc.  

Note - with the 180 arc being dotted lined, I fully expect it to be something like you can shoot out of primary arc up to 180.  And as such, Tactician will only work in the primary arc.

It looks just like the firespray arcs and tactician works in the back arc. However, it does use an ion cannon which is primary only.

Depends on whether they call it an auxiliary firing arc, a la Firespray. That's what I expect it to be.

Multiple Tacticians is definitely something I expect to become a thing, as the Scum don't have a great control ship yet and Gunner/2xTactician could be hilarious for shutting someone down. And with Bossk's ability that second shot might hurt even more than usual. Maybe Predator to help miss the first time, and hit hard the second as well.

For me the biggest thing here is the cost. If it's 29 base (which it could easily be), then 29+2+2=33 could mean 6 Tacticians in a triple 666 list. Nowhere near enough information to know if it's viable, but that's some scary stress coverage.

Edited by Immaterium Press

if I'm not going blind, it seems that only borsch has an ept

this is huge because SoT outlaw tech combos would making blocking yourself pretty trivial despite lacking a system slot, and imo make triple YV-666 builds at least hilarious to fly

as is, idk and can't imagine until we see the dial and the base costs

Currently excited at the possibility of double YV-666 with Xizor :)

not to mention just having an amazing control ship in scum who can also access int agent without screwing over its own crew slot

this is huge because SoT outlaw tech combos would making blocking yourself pretty trivial despite lacking a system slot, and imo make triple YV-666 builds at least hilarious to fly

not to mention just having an amazing control ship in scum who can also access int agent without screwing over its own crew slot

The first Bossk I'm going to run is SoT with Outlaw Tech and K4. Always have a target, always have at least one offensive action. Assuming the dial isn't COMPLETELY terrible.

The first Bossk I'm going to run is SoT with Outlaw Tech and K4. Always have a target, always have at least one offensive action. Assuming the dial isn't COMPLETELY terrible.

you also have enough room for IA :D

Ps 7? What's that?

I think (and hope) this thing is going to have a dial only marginally better than Shuttles. If we get another freighter with access to hard 1's I'm going to start wondering why Tie fighters are even considered bible in the Star Wars universe!!

It looks just like the firespray arcs and tactician works in the back arc. However, it does use an ion cannon which is primary only.

Right, in the one-two punch build, ion cannon would be usable less often than triple stress.

But have you seen how much area on the board Range 2 in the 180 degree primary/auxiliary combined arc covers?  It's a little nuts.

Unfortunately the only current upgrade cards for this ship that trigger off of an enemy being in arc (which includes all printed firing arcs, dotted or not) are Outmaneuver and Tactician.  We are far from seeing the YV-666 able to explore different options in the game space just yet.

Another possible choice for Bossk, at least, is the Daredevil + Engine Upgrade combo (with EU there mainly to keep him from doing 2 stupid damage to himself, but also to give him fine-tuning options at PS7).  Dial almost notwithstanding (as he is assured to have bank maneuvers, so unless they're red, this will work) this gives him a massive amount of flexibility on his arc.  EU may see some competition, but probably not much, from Maneuvering Fins.  Maneuvering Fins appear to be a "change the speed of your maneuver" effect from what we can make out on the spoilers so far, so they're likely to see the most use on the high PS ships (if at all-- but this sort of effect can be a good way to artificially increase green moves on a dial, so that would make a nice option too). If all you care about is being able to take the shots, rather than them necessarily hitting, then you can really enjoy the advantage of the wide arc.

In fact, I predict the YV-666 will be the Scum version of the B-Wing.  While you can't spam them as hard as with the B-Wings, their dial is almost definitely going to be an exercise in FFG making it as bad as possible; however, with the arcs as wide as they are, and with EU, it's not going to matter much how bad the dial is.  They're going to be the slow-rolling knife fighters, with stats designed to soak damage more than avoid it.  And I think it'll be quite effective, given the other options Scum has to work with to support a YV-666 ship.

Edited by Sparklelord

Right, in the one-two punch build, ion cannon would be usable less often than triple stress.

But have you seen how much area on the board Range 2 in the 180 degree primary/auxiliary combined arc covers?  It's a little nuts.

Unfortunately the only current upgrade cards for this ship that trigger off of an enemy being in arc (which includes all printed firing arcs, dotted or not) are Outmaneuver and Tactician.  We are far from seeing the YV-666 able to explore different options in the game space just yet.

Another possible choice for Bossk, at least, is the Daredevil + Engine Upgrade combo (with EU there mainly to keep him from doing 2 stupid damage to himself, but also to give him fine-tuning options at PS7).  Dial almost notwithstanding (as he is assured to have bank maneuvers, so unless they're red, this will work) this gives him a massive amount of flexibility on his arc.  EU may see some competition, but probably not much, from Maneuvering Fins.  Maneuvering Fins appear to be a "change the speed of your maneuver" effect from what we can make out on the spoilers so far, so they're likely to see the most use on the high PS ships (if at all-- but this sort of effect can be a good way to artificially increase green moves on a dial, so that would make a nice option too). If all you care about is being able to take the shots, rather than them necessarily hitting, then you can really enjoy the advantage of the wide arc.

In fact, I predict the YV-666 will be the Scum version of the B-Wing.  While you can't spam them as hard as with the B-Wings, their dial is almost definitely going to be an exercise in FFG making it as bad as possible; however, with the arcs as wide as they are, and with EU, it's not going to matter much how bad the dial is.  They're going to be the slow-rolling knife fighters, with stats designed to soak damage more than avoid it.  And I think it'll be quite effective, given the other options Scum has to work with to support a YV-666 ship.

The B wing has a great dial, just a slow one. I'm not sure I agree with your comparison here... I'd say the Tooth is looking like the Falcon/Decimator of Scum. The StarViper is a lot like a B wing, but an overpriced one.

I believe the comparison to the B-wing is apt

the thing is chuncky and most likely slow, but it also has no guaranteed damage mitigation and one crappy lil green die which means that it can get some highly unfavorable engagements at ranges 1 and 3

the dial doesn't have to be that bad to make the ship balanced with its beefy but not really even durable stats (a B-wing dial would be nifty :) but not a HWK :()

and the tactician multi-stress makes sense, if the YV-666's role is meant to provide S&V with a direct counter to arc-dodgers. Lacking higher PS (on maneuverable ships, so no cobra you don't count :P) means scum gets to rely on dirty tricks to counter things like soonts (bombs, autoblaster turrets, feedbacks, blocking :)) and the YV-666's tactician spam on a 180 degree arc will fit right into those tricks :) (not to mention int agent on a fat base for blocking, which it can't do as well as the Space Fringer--dat dial + dat roll--but it can at least do)

Edited by ficklegreendice

If you look at the bossk card on his attack rating, it has the same symbols that are found on Boba (imperial, scum has been addressed as an oversight).

Aux arc. tactician works.

No such language exists on Tactician:

Tactician_1.png

This is a question I field often as a TO.  Right now, only the Firespray is an issue.  If a ship has mutable firing arcs, Tactician works for all of them! 

You guys are making a lot of assumptions about the Tooth's arc that won't be addressed until we get the relevant literature.

I would say that its pretty clearly an auxiliary firing arc and that it will function like the other auxiliary arc we have. It's possible it won't, but it's also possible it will have green k turns, just not likely based on what we know about the game thus far.

I would say that we pretty clearly don't know anything, except that there are some dotted lines on the tile. The reference card that accompanies the Tooth may simply call it an auxiliary arc, or it may have more specific text that precludes upgrades like Tactician from working.

You guys are making a lot of assumptions about the Tooth's arc that won't be addressed until we get the relevant literature.

I would say that its pretty clearly an auxiliary firing arc and that it will function like the other auxiliary arc we have. It's possible it won't, but it's also possible it will have green k turns, just not likely based on what we know about the game thus far.

I hear it fires cakes and poops rainbows, it'll break the game.

Direct from the FAQ:

"Some ships (such as the Slave I) have an auxiliary firing arc identified by dotted lines printed on its ship token. These ships also have a unique primary weapon icon printed on their Ship cards. When attacking with its primary weapon, a ship with this icon may attack an enemy ship that is at Range 1–3 and inside its standard or auxiliary firing arc."

And:

"Q: If a ship has a turret primary weapon (or is equipped with a [turret] secondary weapon), is the ship considered to have a 360-degree firing arc?

A: No. Turret primary and secondary weapons allow a ship to ignore its printed firing arcs. A ship’s firing arcs are always the printed, shaded arcs on its ship token."

That leaves us with the following questions: 

Is it possible that they will define a new type of primary weapon?  The answer is yes, it is possible.

Does the preview, which includes dotted lines as well as a shaded region, satisfy everything in the current FAQ needed to describe it as a firing arc?  The answer is also yes.

These are, for speculation purposes, mutually exclusive.  So is there anything that leads you to believe the former is more likely than the latter?

I would say that we pretty clearly don't know anything, except that there are some dotted lines on the tile. The reference card that accompanies the Tooth may simply call it an auxiliary arc, or it may have more specific text that precludes upgrades like Tactician from working.

I'm not sure if you've looked at the same card spread then because A) it has the same dotted lines and shading of the Firespray auxiliary, B) the pilot cards have arcs on their attack symbol that is used in the same exact manner as on the Firespray to show it has an auxiliary and C) while reference cards are included for boost and ion, there is no card for auxiliary firing arcs, heavily suggesting there is no deviation from the normal auxiliary firing arc rules already in the game.

While we don't *know* anything, with a bit of critical thinking and pattern recognition, we really know quite a bit.