Sign in to follow this  
Daner0023

Yuuzhan Vong

I really hope we never see them. In the art I've seen their ships mostly resemble moldy turds. There seems to be nothing coherent about their ships. They were just made to look organic and different within the resolution of a comic book page. There isn't a single Vong ship I would want to own for the sake of its model.

And that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of how poor an introduction to the setting they were as a race. Their "spikey skull-person" aesthetic definitely feels more at home in 40k or Star Trek, and their characterization as the uber threat from beyond was just lazy.

I'm FAR more excited to see Sequel Trilogy ships and stuff from the upcoming movies added in. And I'd still rather see prequel trilogy fleets than the Vong. I feel like the CIS actually had enough ships to make and interesting fleet. In X-wing I don't think the prequel stuff really has a place, but I don't feel that way about Armada.

Chiss Ascendancy

Hapan Consortium

Hutt Empire

Pirate Fleet

Ssi-Ruuvi

Mandalorian Resurgency (not real I know)

Ewok Celestial Navy

Literally any of these before the vong...

Edited by Gadgetron

AS FOR ARMADA... here is how Vong would be.

20+ Health, 10+ Black Die that attack at medium range on each side, ships heal every turn automatically, etc. Vong's fleets literally TORE through armadas of Star Destroyers. It took a kami-kazi'd Super Star Destroyer LOADED WITH EXPLOSIVES FROM FRONT TO BACK to destroy one of their big ships. Vong were 'unstopable' by everything currently in Armada or will be in Armada.

If anything, we will see Episode 7 fleets, The Clone Wars, or even Old Republic. LONG before we see Vong (ie: never. We hope.)

For a sense of scale, the "big ship" you're talking about wasn't a standard capital ship or even a superdreadnaought, it was an intergalactic colony ship something like 2/3rds the size of the Death Star.  If you look at how the Death Stars and other superweapons were destroyed, the Lusankya's conversion and ramming was relatively simple by comparison.

Most of their fleet was constructed on a more familiar scale, and once the elements of surprise and confusion caused by their arrival and unfamiliar biotechnology wore off, conventional warships and starfighters could meet them on roughly equal footing.

Besides, I think you underestimate the ability of FFG to do justice to depictions of powerful vessels within the scope of the game.  And frankly, 20 Hull and 10 dice isn't that bad when you consider that an Imperial I with Admiral Motti and Wulff Yularen is already up to 14 Hull and generating at least 6 Engineering points a turn with Repair commands, while a MC80's flank batteries can consistently get up to 10 dice at medium range with Admiral Ackbar, Enhanced Armaments, and Concentrate Fire commands.

I do agree though, we will get Prequel-era and/or Sequel-era vessels long before we get Yuuzhan Vong, and since those are more familiar and popular, that's a good thing for both our collective enjoyment (I'd be happy with Vong, but I know many others wouldn't be, and I'll enjoy Clone Wars material just as much if not more) and the longevity of the game line.

Edited by Joker Two

For a sense of scale, the "big ship" you're talking about wasn't a standard capital ship or even a superdreadnaought, it was an intergalactic colony ship something like 2/3rds the size of the Death Star.  If you look at how the Death Stars and other superweapons were destroyed, the Lusankya's conversion and ramming was relatively simple by comparison.

Most of their fleet was constructed on a more familiar scale, and once the elements of surprise and confusion caused by their arrival and unfamiliar biotechnology wore off, conventional warships and starfighters could meet them on roughly equal footing.

Besides, I think you underestimate the ability of FFG to do justice to depictions of powerful vessels within the scope of the game.  And frankly, 20 Hull and 10 dice isn't that bad when you consider that an Imperial I with Admiral Motti and Wulff Yularen is already up to 14 Hull and generating at least 6 Engineering points a turn with Repair commands, while a MC80's flank batteries can consistently get up to 10 dice at medium range with Admiral Ackbar, Enhanced Armaments, and Concentrate Fire commands.

I do agree though, we will get Prequel-era and/or Sequel-era vessels long before we get Yuuzhan Vong, and since those are more familiar and popular, that's a good thing for both our collective enjoyment (I'd be happy with Vong, but I know many others wouldn't be, and I'll enjoy Clone Wars material just as much if not more) and the longevity of the game line.

Fair point, fair point, but if Vong ever end up in Armada, I will quit the game or refuse to play Vong players. Vong, as was stated earlier in the game, are the anti-thesis of Star Wars. It would be like putting Star Trek ships into Star Wars for me. I wouldn't want to play it.

There are PLENTY of things for them to bring around for our collective enjoyment as you put it, without further ruining the setting.

The Vong are the Cobra-la of the Star Wars universe.

An excellent analogy. I despise the Cobra-la and have labored to purge them from my memory.

Long live COBRAAAAAAA!

(whom without that abortion of an idea, were founded and existed on a somewhat realistic premise)

For myself, the Hardware of starwars is half the draw of the universe. Armada is as appealing to me as it is because we get to fly The Big Ships that dominated the screen. I like the look and feel of the technology (especially Empire) employed in the universe.

The only thing to look forward to with the Vong is a mish-mash of bio-horror spaceships. On top of not really being able to capture true fleshy creatures in plastic (there is always a compromise), it's still bio fleshy creatures and spaceships. I didn't sign up to fight space blobs.

It's fine for starships to mimic blobs, like I have no qualms with Mon Calamari designs and the Minbari from Babylon 5. But the vong is playing the trope too closely for me to really be excited for them.