Sign in to follow this  
Avactus

questions about orginized play rules.

Hi all, I just started playing tonight with a friend. The way we are reading things the field is 3 feet by 6 feet. You have to start closer to the middle though, it looks like one range ruler distance from each side. The game ends after 6 rounds. And finally we have 300 points to build with.

First things first, for orginized play is that all correct still?

We played two games. As rebels my first instinct was to start on the far corner from where the imperials were setting up and try to out flank him. This worked but we didn't engage until the last turn, and nothing died.

Durring the second game we started more nose to nose and I tried to just blow past him. This did not work at all. Nothing but a quick leson to never never never be infront of a star destroyer at range one.

This leads me to really question the 6 round cap. Ether I rush in and just get obliterated, or I try to out manuver and just run out of time.

Durring nither game did we come anywhere close to using the entier play area like we do when we play x-wing. Both games would have very comfortably fit in the 3 foot square. This leads us to think that ether we should be acounting for more rounds so we can manuver more. Or, that the 3x6 play area is totally excessive.

All in all the game seems to almost demand that as the rebel player I use my speed and ability to make orders on the fly to out manuver my imperial counterpart. However, at the same time, the rules make it imposible for me to do that. Is there something I'm missing?

Yes the setup area is a 3x4 rectangle in the middle of a 6x3 play area. It is made that way because on a 3x3 a area games just turn into jousting matches. The best setup for rebels is to point out from the deployment area to curve around your opponent. Also with objectives your focus may not always be death and destruction, rebels should use objectives that use thier great maneuvering.

Hi all, I just started playing tonight with a friend. The way we are reading things the field is 3 feet by 6 feet. You have to start closer to the middle though, it looks like one range ruler distance from each side. The game ends after 6 rounds. And finally we have 300 points to build with.

We played two games. As rebels my first instinct was to start on the far corner from where the imperials were setting up and try to out flank him. This worked but we didn't engage until the last turn, and nothing died.

Durring the second game we started more nose to nose and I tried to just blow past him. This did not work at all. Nothing but a quick leson to never never never be infront of a star destroyer at range one.

This leads me to really question the 6 round cap. Ether I rush in and just get obliterated, or I try to out manuver and just run out of time.

Durring nither game did we come anywhere close to using the entier play area like we do when we play x-wing. Both games would have very comfortably fit in the 3 foot square. This leads us to think that ether we should be acounting for more rounds so we can manuver more. Or, that the 3x6 play area is totally excessive.

All in all the game seems to almost demand that as the rebel player I use my speed and ability to make orders on the fly to out manuver my imperial counterpart. However, at the same time, the rules make it imposible for me to do that. Is there something I'm missing?

Just curious...

Are you playing with just the core set or have you picked up any wave 1 ships yet?  If so, which ones?

Yes the setup area is a 3x4 rectangle in the middle of a 6x3 play area. It is made that way because on a 3x3 a area games just turn into jousting matches. The best setup for rebels is to point out from the deployment area to curve around your opponent. Also with objectives your focus may not always be death and destruction, rebels should use objectives that use thier great maneuvering.

I assume you mean a 3x4 rectangle in the middle of the 3x6 play area? (Just making sure, still new. :P) That is an interesting way of looking at it that I hadn't thought about. If this plays out as you are suggesting, then that would mean some really good game design by FF. In Star Wars the Rebels were less focused on death and destruction and more so on bringing peace back to the Galaxy by defeating the Empire. But, not necisarily by destroying every last imperial in the Galaxy. So, potentail props to them.

You've tried two tactics at the extreme opposite ends of the spectrum from each other. Just because those are the two you tried, doesn't mean those are the only two available to you. There is a middle ground in between those two extremes.

That's a fair point. Maybe I'm just having difficulty finding the middle ground.

Just curious...

Are you playing with just the core set or have you picked up any wave 1 ships yet?  If so, which ones?

Just the core sets so far. Two of them to be fully accurate. I can't remember the exact lists but I was running two nebulan-b's one with dodana on it. The other one had the title. And two corvet b's one of with dodana's pride. the second corvet had a card that added a red die to it's broad side attacks. both corvets had enginering teams and Electronic counter measures. And 3 x-wings. He was running something along the lines of 2 victory class and 10 tie squadrons.

Edited by Avactus

If you get the opportunity, grab a wave 1 gladiator and assault frigate. It really alters the way the game is played from the core... Rebels get a ship that can trade blows with a VSD and imperials get a fast ship that can meaneuver.

If you get the opportunity, grab a wave 1 gladiator and assault frigate. It really alters the way the game is played from the core... Rebels get a ship that can trade blows with a VSD and imperials get a fast ship that can meaneuver.

and is probably the most destructive ship in the game...

(not saying its op, but its damage potential is insane)

Which?

Which?

Probably the assault frigate

Which?

Probably the assault frigate

Sorry my fault I ment the gladiator, while the assault frigate is powerful I don't think it is nearly as Distructive as the gladiator