Sign in to follow this  
zhentil

When you are carrying an ION Cannon

So, i have played a few games with an Ion Cannon and a few without. Now usually i put my Ion cannon on the Hawk or a Y-Wing. I really don't put them on a B-Wing or a Defender. Now I have played with an Ion Cannon on those recently and I am wonder when is the the "time" to use that Ion Cannon. 

1. When you are behind you opponent 

2. When you can set up others to bash the Ion hit ship

But is there an art almost as to when to use it? I am curious how others use it on big hitters. When is that time instead of using all three shots. 

Range 3 is usually a good time to use it because it denies the bonus agility die, and you are likely only landing one hit anyway on agile targets.

Also, I like slapping an early ion token on large ships to make them really think about their maneuvers, and it allows me to capitalize on mistakes that aim them towards the edge or towards obstacles.

ICTs are pretty much "Attack them all the time, except when they're in range 1 of your arc, or are fat".

However, Ions loooooooove stressed targets.

They also thoroughly enjoy tricksy obstacle engagements.

So what you're saying is 4x M3-As, 2 with Ion, 2 with Flechette cannons, might be kinda fun?

Been thinking of trying something like this:

2x Tansarii Point Veteran (25)

M3-A “Scyk” Interceptor (17), Predator (3), “Heavy Scyk” Interceptor (2), Ion Cannon (3)

2x Tansarii Point Veteran (24)

M3-A “Scyk” Interceptor (17), Predator (3), “Heavy Scyk” Interceptor (2), Flechette Cannon (2)

98 points 

Edited by Victor42

I've recently paired up Eaden Vrill with his own Ion Cannon and Tactician.  It's pretty amusing to catch someone at R2, ion+stress em', then the next turn I can slow roll right next to them for the big 4 dice attack.  Currently also running him with one Warthog with the stressbot for additional shenanigans.  Sadly, said Y has a pretty low life expectancy...

If you get behind a ship with three or less hit points just keep hammering them with the ion while you sit there safe, if it's got more health alternate each turn to keep in position.

If something gets near a table edge try to walk it off the board.

I've recently paired up Eaden Vrill with his own Ion Cannon and Tactician.  It's pretty amusing to catch someone at R2, ion+stress em', then the next turn I can slow roll right next to them for the big 4 dice attack.  Currently also running him with one Warthog with the stressbot for additional shenanigans.  Sadly, said Y has a pretty low life expectancy...

Been meaning to try a build just like this.  You could throw Biggs in there to screen for the Warthog.  Also, if you bump the Warthog to a Grey Squadron, you can stress a target before Vrill shoots, giving you that extra dice on the same turn if needed.

Also, I like slapping an early ion token on large ships to make them really think about their maneuvers, and it allows me to capitalize on mistakes that aim them towards the edge or towards obstacles.

In 100% agreement with you. Recently I played a game with a Emon and an IG-88 with Ion Cannons vs. Scum Boba and Kath. In round 3'ish I had slapped an ion token on each of the Firesprays. My opponent (who wasn't too experienced) failed to see the importance or potential impact of tHis so when I saw that his Boba was headed towards the side edge I gave him a second Ion attack with succes which brought closer but not beyond the edge in the next round BUT without any chance of completing a successful 2-turn after that.

Half ionized is a powerful tool

I generally look at the following:

Are there any stressed targets?

Are there any targets pointed towards the edge of the board?

Are there any targets pointed towards an asteroid?

Are there any targets who will cause maneuvering problems if to the rest of my opponent's fleet if given an ion token?

Are there any targets whose offensive capabilities will be seriously diminished by an ion token?

Are there any targets where a primary weapon attack would be likely to only deal a maximum of one damage anyway?

I have got a lot of use out of applying an ion token to a ship purely for the purpose of removing maneuvering options from my opponent's higher PS ships. Works especially well near asteroids. If my opponent has the choice of bumping their own ship or flying onto an asteroid or flying off in the wrong direction... any of those is fine with me!

Been meaning to try a build just like this.  You could throw Biggs in there to screen for the Warthog.  Also, if you bump the Warthog to a Grey Squadron, you can stress a target before Vrill shoots, giving you that extra dice on the same turn if needed.

I've only run a Gray with Vrill for that very reason :-P

Biggs... maybe, but right now the rest of the squad is three Bandits, which have been key in a number of my victories.  Trying to replace them even with Biggs would mean I'd need to drop an upgrade in order to get even a single Bandit back into the squad, and a lone Bandit is pretty pointless.  It'd keep the Gray alive a bit longer, sure, but I'd lose my NFL-caliber offensive line and soon be left with only Vrill and the most immobile Y-Wing possible.

I've learned to fly the Gray and the three Bandits (including the semi-legendary Bandit Seven) in a tight formation with almost zero risk of bumping (beyond getting blocked myself), which has helped some as ships flying in too close might smack a Bandit instead and at least guarantees that while the Gray is alive him and everything around him are focusing their fire.  He's still been every player's first target and typically unlikely to survive the the game.  I'm starting to think I need to try starting with him in that formation, then having him drop back right before we engage.  Try and throw some blocks and get those Zs into what's a potentially deadly range one when you've got three of the buggers.

range 3 is great, especially when your expected damage is in the crapper (high agility)

other good ion targets include

*stressed (as mentioned)

*pre-joust (there is no joust if you're the only one k-turning)

*pre-block (something is very close to your ships, such as a very afraid soontir fell)

*targets just a 1-straight away from landing on an obstruction (esp space peanuts)

*If you're flying a HWK (because you really don't have an alternative unless you have a different turret)

*If you're flying a Y-wing (the alternative isn't that much better than a HWK's outside range 1)

*If you're flying a BTL-A4s (no alternative needed :))

also, same range of targets apply for flechettes. They don't stack (sad :() but stress is pretty dang limiting for 2 points.

Edited by ficklegreendice

to answer your question a little more, consider a Y-wing with an ion turret. (no title).  you were asking when to ion vs rolling 3 dice off of your primary (which you can only do at range one.) 

1. anytime your target is beyond range 1, you are better off to shoot the ion cannon.  It is more accurate, and better at hitting high agility targets.  this is especially true at range 3, where your opponent would gain an extra green die with your primary.  The ion cannon turret is more accurate than your primary attack.  Potentially, you can do more damage with your main guns, but that's a rare outlier, and most of the time you are better off with the greater accuracy of the ion cannon.

The ion cannon effect is often underestimated.  used correctly, it is quite powerful.

1. if you can get behind them, you may be able to set up a situation where you ion them repeatedly, either finally killing them or ioning them off the board.

2. when an opponent is ioned, his firing arc becomes fixed exactly where it is for the next turn. not only do you know exactly where that ship is going to be next round, you also know where his guns are pointed.  In most cases, you can use this knowledge to deny that ship an attack, and each round a ship is not throwing red dice is a good round for you. (this is especially true for high value targets like rexler or corran horn.  taking an enemy like that out for even one round can have a huge impact on the game.

3. ion cannons are difficult to escape.  In turreted form, there is a large bubble you must avoid to avoid the possibility of being ioned.  This threat bubble gives you a fair amount of board control.

4. As mentioned elsewhere, stress and ion together is evil.  try a humble gold squadron pilot with R3-A2.  will you get stress?  yes.  will you care?  not as much as your opponent will.  you have a turret after all.

5. Probably the most well known use of ion is setting up the target for one of your big guns.  Knowing where an enemy ship will be is a huge benefit.

6. People hate y-wings with ion turrets. they automatically draw a lot of fire, and they are tough.  This should give you time to bring the pain with the rest of your squad.  If they ignore your ion turret carrier, even better.  They make a fantastic late game ship.

I would encourage you to try a list with at least 2 y-wings with ion turrets to really gain an appreciation for them.  they don't kill stuff quickly, but once they get a hold on you they are difficult to shake unless other ships come to your rescue.  Give it a try.

Also, if you have the BTL-A4 title on a Y-Wing with an Ion Cannon Turret, I highly suggest you use your primary and then your ICT.  :D

and add R3-A2. 2 stress on Phantom, Fel or Corran is very, very, very surprising :)

Also, if you have the BTL-A4 title on a Y-Wing with an Ion Cannon Turret, I highly suggest you use your primary and then your ICT.  :D

and add R3-A2. 2 stress on Phantom, Fel or Corran is very, very, very surprising :)

While double stressed and ioned is quite effective, I'm highly looking forward to the twin-linked turret and dropping triple stress with R3-A2. Or alternatively, not taking the title so I can still use my turret and double stress.

Been thinking of trying something like this:

2x Tansarii Point Veteran (25)

M3-A “Scyk” Interceptor (17), Predator (3), “Heavy Scyk” Interceptor (2), Ion Cannon (3)

2x Tansarii Point Veteran (24)

M3-A “Scyk” Interceptor (17), Predator (3), “Heavy Scyk” Interceptor (2), Flechette Cannon (2)

98 points 

Keep in mind, Flechette Cannon only does 1 stress if the defender isn't stressed.  I thought it might be good against Soontir Fel, Dash, etc but it really isn't.  The only targets you can really stress are ones it will be a minor inconvenience to.  Sure, you could hit them with the ion/stress combo, but then you might not have the damage output to finish the job.  

Maybe a pair of them might be good, followed by some Mangler Spacers or Blaster Turret'ed HWK.