Sign in to follow this  
kwelz

Black Bases

I am sorry if this has been covered in the past.  

I am looking at repainting some or even all of my ships.   I was wondering what people thoughts were on black bases and stems.  I have seen it done on some Armada Squadrons and think it looks good there.  But haven't seen any on Xwing yet.  

Does anyone have any photos of them done like this?

I'd recommend painting the bases, but would recommend against painting the stems. 

My reasoning is for that the stem, when painted casts a shadow, and the shadow itself (to me) breaks the illusion of the 'flying' ship. See my post on the topic: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/141214-base-and-tree-painting/

The black bases, with some tiny touches for stars can make the whole flying ship illusion come to life.

Much peace,

Malev

I can certainly see where Malev's coming from on the stems, but I like the way mine look with black bases AND black stems. If you do decide to paint the stems, it's worth the extra effort to paint the corresponding female part on the ships; they look funny if you don't. Additionally, you should consider masking the male part at the top of the stem. All of mine fit tight enough that a coat of matte black spray paint caused problems getting the pieces together.

Not only do I paint the bases and stems flat black, but I also use a black marker and go over the edges of the insert.

For Armada I did the bases, inserts, and blackened the shield counter edges. A much neater appearance IMHO.