Sign in to follow this  
X Wing Nut

as the first player would you pick Hyperspace Assault

I've had opponents choose it a couple of times, but not sure if that's unfamiliarity. Both times it put me in a great position to land a real hammer-blow. I'd definitely want to avoid letting my opponent use it if I could.

I picked it last night as my opponent said he had never got to play it and I thought I would be nice to him and see if I could win the scenario.

On the second turn he went and hyperspaced in his second VSD right in front of my two VSDs so I just killed it.Then his first VSD followed up a turn later and got blown to bits as well.

We explained to him afterwards what the point of hyperspace assault is and that if he had waited one or two more turns he could have had me outflanked with the appearance of his second VSD and he probably would have won.

Possibly worth selecting if you think your opponent doesn't know how to play

I've picked it in one of my games, imperial vs their rebel. I wound up using my fighters to screen the possible jump locations, and raced to knock out their non-ambush ships.

They had an Assault Frigate, Nebulon B, and Corvette all kitted out, and. Was running an almost naked VSDm1 x2 and GSDm2 w/ expanded launchers & fire after move title. Motti as my admiral. Five TIEs as my fighter screen. He. His fighters and Manatee in reserve, and i deployed in front of his Nebulon, raacing forward to drop that ship and using my ties to screen the possible hyperspace drops. He dropped the assault frigate right in broadside range of both my VSDs, but the shooting there was a stalemate. I tied up his fighters w/ my ties until turn 5. I managed to drop his Nebulon B in exchamge for my TIEs and tanked the rest of the shots.

Hyperspace assault is winnable for P1, and i think the key is to have a build that can properly screen the hyperspace jump points, while achieving local superiority before the jump. Make player 2 decide to jump early, and maybe get poor possition, or jump T3 / T4 to find you have already mopped up one of their ships.

I played a game last night in which I SHOULD have taken hyperspace assault. The other two missions were bad matchups for me- one was the one that gave you bonus points for squadrons dealing damage cards, the other was dangerous territory- which gives you points for flying over obstacles. I went with dangerous territory and got slaughtered.

I had a kitted out VSD2 and a kitted out GSD2, plus a full complement of squadrons including TIE INTs, ADVs, and fighters. He had an Assault Fish, Nebby, and CR90, plus a bunch of B-wings and A-wings. As it was he tore me to pieces. Those people who claim Dodonna isn't very good have never played against him in Dangerous Territories. Ouch.

Looking back on it, if I had taken Huperspace Assault I could have screened his jump points with my fighters like others have suggested here while I focused down his remaining ships with mine.

I would. I'm mainly flying Assault Frigates so any objective that isn't giving my opponent VP's for not fighting me is a good pick. Hyperspace Assault will hopefully split my enemies forces leaving them vulnerable to defeat in detail by fast moving ships.

GSD + insidious + expanded launchers + Hyperspace Assult = 10 dice of pain and most likely one dead ship. If you are first player and see this situation, pick another objective. Oh and screed makes an average of 7 hits on that front arch too, so good times.

I played it and my opponent pulled the trigger too early.

If you can operate your ships independently, and have fast moving ships, in theory you could move out of range before the opponent got a shot off. But if you have two ships close together or moving at speed one, yu need to be very careful.

Or more simply, is this the least bad objective available against the opposing fleet?

Yeah, I would pick Hyperspace Assault, especially if I had a fairly squadron-heavy fleet.  Since I still have the initiative, and will probably have a Squadron command up on one of my ships each round anyway, I can swarm his new arrival with Bombers in whatever arcs I choose, while using fighters to lock down his accompanying squadrons (if any), and throw a couple of parting shots as I trigger a saved-up Navigate token to pull away.  As 1st player in a Hyperspace Assault scenario, I would almost always bank a Navigate token on every ship first turn for this very reason.

I did play it once, with a single core set unfortunately, so the fighter mob wasn't as effective as it could've been.

I found the same thing works for Fleet Ambush too.  Last night I pulled that and set my Victory up all the way forward accompanied by all of my fighters, with my Gladiator trailing in the standard deployment zone.  With initiative I managed to lock down most of his fighters and chew up a Nebulon-B with Bomber and battery attacks before diving through his formation in round 2 and bringing my Gladiator in to mop up.  It was pretty brutal, but my Vic was able to break out by round 4 and trading the Gladiator for both a CR-90 and the Nebulon (which was his flagship) put me out ahead, albeit barely.  It was great fun, and right down to the wire too!

Revenge of the Frig:

Watched a buddy's game with Hyperspace Assault, Salvation with X17s Hyperspaced into the rear arc of Demolisher before it could launch it's attack against Paragon.

Concentrated Fire. Rolled: Crit, crit, doublehit, accuracy, for 6 points of damage into the GSD's rear.

Goodbye, Demolisher. 

My opponent picked Hyperspace Assault from my objectives, allowing me to jump in Yavaris with 3 B-Wings. (He knew it was probably wrong, but wanted to see how it played)

He did an excellent job of attempting to outmanoeuvre me, starting one of his Victory classes right next to the edge of the map and slowing it to speed 0, keeping me from jumping into anything but his front arc, while his second Victory deployed far away from the objective tokens, and his Gladiator played an excellent gambit, speeding away from the fleet and exposing itself, luring my fleet into jumping on it too far out to be able to reach either of his Destroyers. His Gladiator took a beating, but my B-Wings were too far out of the fight to do more damage. It was a very close game, and I only ended up winning by 4 points after taking out his last squadron on the very last attack of the game.

So minimizing the vulnerable arcs your opponent can jump into, and sending smaller and more manoeuvrable ships to lure in the fleet in a bad position are valid tactics.

One thing to keep in mind with this objective is that the ship must Hyperspace in before any other ship activates. Since the player jumping in is the second player, it can be hard to unload on someone as they will get one activation before the ship that jumped in gets to activate.

One thing to keep in mind with this objective is that the ship must Hyperspace in before any other ship activates. Since the player jumping in is the second player, it can be hard to unload on someone as they will get one activation before the ship that jumped in gets to activate.

True. But if you hyperspace in behind or to the sides of someone, you may just eat a much, much weaker attack than usual, while facing a weak point (ie, VSD sides/rear, or Nebulon Sides), which is unlikely to badly harm your jumper.

Edited by Killionaire

The problem with Hyperspace assault is that if you are Hypering in, your opponent gets to activate a ship before you can (being player one)

My last game against a three VSD fleet, I didn't want him hyper one of those in, so i let him be player one, and he let me hyper in... which allowed my bombers to easily get into position, but sadly, didn't allow my Corvette to last long.

I chose it last night when playing my buddies Rebel list. The other objectives were even worse for my list. 

.... and how did it go?

I won  blew up some of his ships before he hypered  in his Neb and xwings  My squadrons took out his xwings except Luke. My demolished did bite the dust eventually. 

The problem with Hyperspace assault is that if you are Hypering in, your opponent gets to activate a ship before you can (being player one)

My last game against a three VSD fleet, I didn't want him hyper one of those in, so i let him be player one, and he let me hyper in... which allowed my bombers to easily get into position, but sadly, didn't allow my Corvette to last long.

Activate a ship before you can jump in, or activate a ship before you can activate a ship? You jump in at the start of the ship phase, which would be before either side has activated anything.

As first player I pick it and deploy on the flank. It eliminates a good majority of the enemy deployment markers as it places them too far out. So with very little work you can usually guess what one they will deploy from. Then it is just a matter of being aware of that area when you plan your moves. Several Hyperspace assaults have failed to hit their mark in this sector. ^_^

The problem with Hyperspace assault is that if you are Hypering in, your opponent gets to activate a ship before you can (being player one).

Activate a ship before you can jump in, or activate a ship before you can activate a ship? You jump in at the start of the ship phase, which would be before either side has activated anything.

Hyper in before activation. Hyper asssault is good for getting a medium or large ship into position or bombers. But against a 3 VSD fleet I think *contested outpost* would be better.

Ok Hyperspace Assault is a good card to pick if im the second player and you have the Demolisher.

Went to my first tournament today and in the second game on the 3rd round my opponent had moved all his fighters to the token behind his VSD and had the Demolisher left all alone with no support I throught this would be my time to strike with my AF and Tycho but like Admiral Ozzel I jumped out of hyperspace to close and my opponent then proceed to punish me for it. I had 2 Nebs and some other fighters bit they were to far away to help. By the end of the round 6 all I had done was take of one of his Interceptors

I will never think of my opponent taking Hyperspace Assault as "shooting them self in the foot" again

video will be up soon on our YouTube channel of my misconceived tactics :(