Sign in to follow this  
KieranHalcyon

Corran Thread #99999

Hi everyone! So this isn't a thread for painitng, but for custom stats. I wans't sure where to put it but this forum seemed the most fitting - my apologies if the choice was incorrect. I want to design a custom card for an X-Wing Corran Horn. My initial thought was "Something risky but with a big payoff" to fit Corran's style and I came up with this, woridng may be a bit rough.

Pilot Skill 8

You can reroll your blanks once per turn or after using a target lock to reroll. Any crits rolled deal you one damage.

I'm still newish, kinda, to X-Wing but this seemed reasonable to me. I don't want anything really really powerful because I want my playgroup is accept it for casual play, haha.

As an aside, Corran Horn has been my favorite SW charactter since I was ten or so. I went through the pre-adoloscent phase of naming all my accounts after him - I still have three or four with Corran Horn's name in them.I even have a cool custom miniature of him as a pilot.

Edited by KieranHalcyon

I am not totally familiar with Corran Horn in an X-Wing but I have just started reading "Rogue Squadron" this week so I got inspired! 

I like your idea of "risk for reward" and I came up with this:

Corran%20X-Wing%201_zpsujjvfrgz.png

It may be more defensive than you are after but it is certainly unique for an X-Wing and shows a certain amount of flying prowess.  It is similar in a way to Luke's ability of increasing survivability which could be explained as Corran's force sensitivity.

You probably will also want to think about a certain unique astromech as well....

Edited by DB Draft

Lacking a "Variants" or "Game Mods" forum, I think the "X-Wing Off Topic" would have probably been the most appropriate forum to post this.

But since the discussion is here, it is what it is.

This is a little ambiguous, in that it isn't clear what the target locked/reroll is suggesting.

Pilot Skill 8

You can reroll your blanks once per turn or after using a target lock to reroll. Any crits rolled deal you one damage.

I would suggest:

Pilot Skill 8

You can reroll your blanks once per attack.  Any crits rolled deal you one damage.

This allows you to re-roll blanks either with a primary weapon, or some secondary weapon that requires a target lock.  The way the original text is worded it suggests that you can use a target lock to re-roll your dice, then use this ability to re-roll some or all of those dice again.  Since that would transcend a core concept, it is better (IMO) to just allow a free re-roll of blanks on each attack since that would give the functionality suggested without introducing an ambiguity that could be interpreted in a way as to transgress the "dice can only be re-rolled once" thing.

I like the idea of the crit-risk, as it mitigates against what would otherwise be a pretty nasty skill when synergized with anything that converts hits or focus to crits,

I agree that the way you worded it initially wouldnt work very well, but I would even refine it further:

Once per turn when attacking, you may re roll any number of blank dice. Suffer one  <hit> for each  <crit>  rolled in this way. Your dice cant be modified in any other way.

I think that fits in well with the 'risk/reward', as its a total gamble on the player's part. if they somehow roll 4 blank dice, they can choose how many of those to reroll and risk suffering the unavoidable damage (ie you cant use an evade token to get rid of it). Im also thinking it could be pushed further from 'overpowered' by making that damage you take ignore shields too.  :ph34r:

The card idea as suggested by op sadly violates one of the simplest rules that xwing has to eliminate loops and weirdness: you can never reroll a die twice in one combat.

Yeah, I was worried about that.  ^_^

I agree that the way you worded it initially wouldnt work very well, but I would even refine it further:

Once per turn when attacking, you may re roll any number of blank dice. Suffer one  <hit> for each  <crit>  rolled in this way. Your dice cant be modified in any other way.

I think that fits in well with the 'risk/reward', as its a total gamble on the player's part. if they somehow roll 4 blank dice, they can choose how many of those to reroll and risk suffering the unavoidable damage (ie you cant use an evade token to get rid of it). Im also thinking it could be pushed further from 'overpowered' by making that damage you take ignore shields too.  :ph34r:

This is excellent wording; my concern is just that it is too much of a nonbo with TL, one of the X-Wing's few options. I do like it very much though, there will definitely be some playtesting.  :P

What would your opinion be on adding an Evade action to his action bar in addition to his ability? I know it's not normal to change acitons around on different pilots, but some precedent exists in the generic YT-1300's change of stats. INormally I wouldn't consider it, but the X-Wing is a pretty underwhelming ship in many ways, as noted elsewhere (don't want to start that debate) and Corran's flying style is full of jinking and swerving. 

I am not totally familiar with Corran Horn in an X-Wing but I have just started reading "Rogue Squadron" this week so I got inspired! 

I like your idea of "risk for reward" and I came up with this:

It may be more defensive than you are after but it is certainly unique for an X-Wing and shows a certain amount of flying prowess.  It is similar in a way to Luke's ability of increasing survivability which could be explained as Corran's force sensitivity.

You probably will also want to think about a certain unique astromech as well....

****, that looks sweet. Awesome design too, will definitely be in my list of ones to playtest. 

As for Whistler, I am thinking about him as well! :D Not as sure what to do with him yet, though. 

This is excellent wording; my concern is just that it is too much of a nonbo with TL, one of the X-Wing's few options. I do like it very much though, there will definitely be some playtesting.   :P

What would your opinion be on adding an Evade action to his action bar in addition to his ability? I know it's not normal to change acitons around on different pilots, but some precedent exists in the generic YT-1300's change of stats. INormally I wouldn't consider it, but the X-Wing is a pretty underwhelming ship in many ways, as noted elsewhere (don't want to start that debate) and Corran's flying style is full of jinking and swerving. 

I would say no to adding the evade; It would make him much more desirable than any other X Wing pilot as he is the only one that has it. The actions should be about the ship itself, not the pilot.  TIEs are more maneuverable so they get evades. If you DID want to give him an evade token, it would have to be based on his pilot ability, something like;

Once per turn, when an enemy aquires a target lock on your ship, you may gain one <evade> token. 

With that one, its reactive. You dont get the token unless the Xwing is specifically targeted by a TL on that round. Its a purely defensive move, that will either give you a better chance of surviving on that round, or forcing your opponent to wait an extra turn so that you lose the token. (which you can then plan against).

As for the one I came up with being a "no-go" with TL; that was something I considered, which is why I put in the "your dice may not be modified in any other way" ie if you use his ability, you cant use your TL to reroll. You have to make the choice, but at the same time it would work well with Torpedoes, in which you use the TL for the attack, THEN can use his ability for the reroll. 

Couldn't you just use his E-wing ability?

Well yeah, we COULD... but what's the fun in that?  :P

Edited by Raynuk

I was thinking about Whistler. Whistler should probably be 4 points, with a nasty-but luck oriented- ability. Let's brainstorm.

Action: Choose to roll either an attack or a defense die. On a focus result, the attack die grants an additional attack die on the next attack. The defense die grants an evade token. On a blank result, immediately apply a stress token. You may not attack this round. 

I think for 4 points thats more than fair. You either get a whole additional attack die, or a free evade on this luck game. If you fail, than you take a stress and can't attack. It's devastating victory result makes it worth the chance to try, but with severe punishment if you fail. Using Whistler when you know you're going to be firing at range 1 could mean up to 5 attack die. Failure, however, could mean a completely missed opportunity to attack. 

Edited by Razgriz25thinf

This is excellent wording; my concern is just that it is too much of a nonbo with TL, one of the X-Wing's few options. I do like it very much though, there will definitely be some playtesting.   :P

I would say no to adding the evade; It would make him much more desirable than any other X Wing pilot as he is the only one that has it. The actions should be about the ship itself, not the pilot.  TIEs are more maneuverable so they get evades. If you DID want to give him an evade token, it would have to be based on his pilot ability, something like;

Once per turn, when an enemy aquires a target lock on your ship, you may gain one <evade> token. 

With that one, its reactive. You dont get the token unless the Xwing is specifically targeted by a TL on that round. Its a purely defensive move, that will either give you a better chance of surviving on that round, or forcing your opponent to wait an extra turn so that you lose the token. (which you can then plan against).

As for the one I came up with being a "no-go" with TL; that was something I considered, which is why I put in the "your dice may not be modified in any other way" ie if you use his ability, you cant use your TL to reroll. You have to make the choice, but at the same time it would work well with Torpedoes, in which you use the TL for the attack, THEN can use his ability for the reroll. 

Couldn't you just use his E-wing ability?

Well yeah, we COULD... but what's the fun in that?  :P

Yeah, I was sorta hinking that myself. Still had to bring it up. :P

And to be honest I don't really see the E-Wing ability's relevance to Corran himself. Plus I don't want to make the E-Wing redundant.

I was thinking about Whistler. Whistler should probably be 4 points, with a nasty-but luck oriented- ability. Let's brainstorm.

Action: Choose to roll either an attack or a defense die. On a focus result, the attack die grants an additional attack die on the next attack. The defense die grants an evade token. On a blank result, immediately apply a stress token. You may not attack this round. 

I think for 4 points thats more than fair. You either get a whole additional attack die, or a free evade on this luck game. If you fail, than you take a stress and can't attack. It's devastating victory result makes it worth the chance to try, but with severe punishment if you fail. Using Whistler when you know you're going to be firing at range 1 could mean up to 5 attack die. Failure, however, could mean a completely missed opportunity to attack. 

Seems interesting but I would rather just take focus or TL than the attack die option. Like the design a lot, though. I was thinking about something that would help miigate Corran's own risk-taking - Whistler had a habit of saving his pilot's butt. :lol:

For a more 'evasive' Corran ability, why not let him use Focus tokens as Evade tokens?  That would keep it as a pilot ability, rather than a modifier to the ship, and would also have some synergy with Rebel focus-sharing while not allowing Corran to get Focus+Evade from PTL.

That's not Corran's X-Wing. ;)

For a more 'evasive' Corran ability, why not let him use Focus tokens as Evade tokens?

Good lord. The first time I read that I read it as "FORCE tokens" instead of Focus. I was like 'how the hell would a Force token play into Xwing?'   :lol:

For a more 'evasive' Corran ability, why not let him use Focus tokens as Evade tokens?  That would keep it as a pilot ability, rather than a modifier to the ship, and would also have some synergy with Rebel focus-sharing while not allowing Corran to get Focus+Evade from PTL.

That's not Corran's X-Wing. ;)

That's actually a pretty sweet idea.

And yeah, but ti's still a cool-ass photoshop.

OK take two on his card with a more appropriate X wing image:

Corran%20Card%202_zps3fw9ajny.png

"Say hello to my little friend..."

Whistler%20Card%202_zpsjxwjbblp.png

On an X Wing there is only one red maneuver (4 K turn) so this may not be that great, however it pairs nicely with Corran's ability.  He could in theory K-Turn, remove the stress and perform up to two actions (PtL) and get an evade token as well.  This is powerful but not guaranteed to succeed.

That Whistler pairs really well with Stay on Target. The only things is 3 points is way overcosted for that ability. You are looking at 1 pt for a unique with that overly restricted ability...I.e. just red moves (though the thought of using it on a Y-wing is intriguing)...

...unless you changed the trigger to when you gain a stress token, then it would be worth 3 points as it combos with way more cards. It would the be an interesting hybrid of Soontir's and Jek's abilities. Is a potential stress less PtL worth 6 points? Maybe? Sure, sometimes it will give you 3 actions and a chance at double focus, but you would locked into a green for the next turn, so seems fair.