Sign in to follow this  
RodianClone

Accelerated Aging in Clones... And how to stop it.

Clones in the prequels and the Clone Wars series were grown to full adults in half the time by using accelerated aging. From what I understand, this prosess continues after they reach adult age and their lives are shortened by half, compared to normal humans, if they survive to see a full life. This is also shown in Rebels season 2, from what I can see in the trailer.

So, aging at twice the normal rate, ok, easy enough. But are there examples in canon or legends, of clones who have stopped aging at an accelerated pace? No, not Boba, he was never exposed to accelerated aging.

By the new canon, not all the clones are based on Jango as a source, what about those who aren`t, are they all aging twice as fast as normal humans too, or was that just the first Jango clones from Kamino? 

I have a few ideas of how to stop the fast aging of individual clones in my game myself; drugs, the Force, ysalamiri, a fountain-of-youth-planet...

If I got something wrong, please let me know:) 

Edited by RodianClone

As far as I know there's nothing in canon on stopping the accelerated ageing (unless there's something in Tarkin, Sith Lords or Heir to the Jedi that covers this... I haven't read those yet).

Even if they started making clones during the Clone Wars that didn't receive this modification, those clones would be roughly 20 years old by ANH (22-23 or so).

Half of what though?  We don't really have any firm number of average life expectancy and it seems to me there is tech aplenty that would be used to extend a normal human's lifespan considerably.  All that means is a clone would need it sooner.

Given that the Kaminoan scientists could add the accelerated aging I see no reason they couldn't remove it. The issue I think is more finding a genetic scientist willing to make the changes. Additionally, as mentioned above they age at double rate but people can live for many years and a clone trooper from the first wave would only be the equivalent of 40 or so at 0BBY. Assuming that he would die of old age at the equivalent of 70 he has another 15 years in him.

Don't forget the enhanced effects of battle stress that the Clones suffered.  Even from watching TCW some clones looked way older than they should have been.

Of course there is nothing in canon that I've seen that says the Clones would continue to age that fast once they reached adulthood.

Edited by Oden Gebhac

I think I remember a few books talking about that. It was the books about the clones with Skirata. Take a look at Wookepedia about Kal Skirata. Clip from it.

Legacy

In 40 ABY, Taun We told Boba Fett that Skirata found and killed Ko Sai and used her data to stop the aging process of all of his clone sons. One of these clones, Jaing Skirata, would later go on to tell Boba Fett that his father, Kal, had die.

Given that the Kaminoan scientists could add the accelerated aging I see no reason they couldn't remove it. The issue I think is more finding a genetic scientist willing to make the changes. Additionally, as mentioned above they age at double rate but people can live for many years and a clone trooper from the first wave would only be the equivalent of 40 or so at 0BBY. Assuming that he would die of old age at the equivalent of 70 he has another 15 years in him.

Would he though? They looked like they were already about 25 to 30(12 - 15) in the clone wars, so 20 years later they would look almost 70. Or am I missing something?

Consider that the first group of clones weren't "born" at 20 BBY: they were already fighting age by the start of the Clone Wars, or 22 BBY. This likely means a minimum real-time age of around 9-10 years (give or take), so that by the time the end of the clone wars was reached (19 BBY) we will see clones of a real-time age of around 13 years (at least), which means an "accelerated age" of 26.

Fast-forward another 19 years and you, as a clone during the Galactic Civil War, have advanced well into your "sixties."

To the OP, I could see such a thing being a very cool character motivation. It's always fun to play an ex-ARC Trooper. The Legends continuity does have some examples of such things (clones that rebelled, joined the Mandalorians, halted their accelerated aging). 

Edit: ninja'd on both fronts!

Edited by awayputurwpn

Consider that the first group of clones weren't "born" at 20 BBY: they were already fighting age by the start of the Clone Wars, or 22 BBY. This likely means a minimum real-time age of around 9-10 years (give or take), so that by the time the end of the clone wars was reached (19 BBY) we will see clones of a real-time age of around 13 years (at least), which means an "accelerated age" of 26.

Fast-forward another 19 years and you, as a clone during the Galactic Civil War, have advanced well into your "sixties."

Actually fair point, I hadn't allowed for the first batch already having been ready (it has been a while since I watched the prequels). Having said that, a lot of the aging seen in the Attack of the Clones could simply be, as mentioned, battle stress making them more haggard than their actual age.

This still doesn't invalidate a skilled geneticist from being able to creating a retro virus to remove the accelerated aging.

Yah I'm wondering how much of an issue this is really.  Hell, Harrison Ford is in his early 70s and pretty **** spry looking to me with our level of tech.

In Star Wars you can get slapped around by a carnivorous snow gorilla, hung up like bacon, half freeze to death in a blizzard, then get rammed into a tauntaun's guts (gotta be a little staph in there), and then they just dunk you in a tank of antibiotic syrup for a couple days and you're good to go.

I doubt osteoporosis and glaucoma are gonna slow Bacta up too much..... 

Perhaps removing the organic chip responsible for order 66, also stops the premature aging? Pure conjecture of course.

I hate that organic chip...

Yes, I just heard of it from one of my players this thursday and I thought it sounded pretty stupid too...

I haven`t gotten that far in Clone Wars yet, for some reason I can`t watch episode after episode, like I can watch Rebels season 1 in a couple of days. Twice! 

Edited by RodianClone

Perhaps removing the organic chip responsible for order 66, also stops the premature aging? Pure conjecture of course.

Yes, I just heard of it from one of my players this thursday and I thought it sounded pretty stupid too...

I haven`t gotten that far in Clone Wars yet, for some reason I can`t watch episode after episode, like I can watch Rebels season 1 in a couple of days. Twice! 

It's because it's not in order. look it up and try watching it in order, see of that helps.

http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-clone-wars-chronological-episodeorder

it levels out as you go on, but there's still the odd Season 1 episode in the middle of season 3 and such.

Edited by Ghostofman

It may be organic and blend in with the surrounding tissue but these Clones are still human.  It's still not supposed to be there.  A scan after a head injury would reveal that as an anomaly.

It may be organic and blend in with the surrounding tissue but these Clones are still human.  It's still not supposed to be there.  A scan after a head injury would reveal that as an anomaly.

Depends on when and by whom. I'll bet that most Republic and Clone issued scanners are built to recognize a baseline clone bioprofile.

Depends on when and by whom. I'll bet that most Republic and Clone issued scanners are built to recognize a baseline clone bioprofile.

If that was true, why make a big deal to make it a secret?  All they would have to say that this "biochip here reduces the clone's inherent disposition to disregard orders.  Every clone has the General Orders memorized.  This clone's biochip malfunctioned in such a way that only one order stuck with him.  General Order 66."  Attack of the Clones already told that us that the Clones were designed and programmed to obey any order given but could do so creatively so that they were superior to droids.  There was no need to introduce the biochip at all.

Hell, Harrison Ford is in his early 70s and pretty **** spry looking to me with our level of tech.

I hope that when I'm that old... 

1) people will still use the word "spry" almost exclusively for old people, and 

2) people will call me "spry."

Just something I've always thought would be cool. 

Logically speaking there is no real cure for built in clone ageing as if we are to use real life as the basis ageing is a process not partically well defined,with hundreds of contributing factors. The other thing to consider that genetic ageing may be difficult to change,as the easiest time to alter a creature Dna is when it's a single called organism. After that you would have to provide something to block the process on a cellular basis to work. It would also assume that the cloners actually care about their subjects, I always assumed that they wouldn't be motivated to solve a triival issue, after all they were paid to make soldiers, not people.

Now that I covered the issues, it is time for the positive That being said it isn't impossible to make methods to slow the process, either by medication or something invasive. Just it would likely be difficult or expensive to maintain, possibly something owing obligation to and expensive for the empire not to consider it.

This is an interesting topic for me. I was thinking of doing a session where the pc's found two groups that have been fighting each other. They tell the pc's they have been fighting for centuries. Later on the pc's find that the 2 groups have been cloning themselves to create more fighters but in the process they age fast, plus the death rate from the battle is outrages. In the end the pc's find that the war between the two groups has actually only been going on for about 4 weeks (but since there has been so much cloning and rapid aging the groups think that it has been centuries from the stories passed down to them.)

In this case, do you think the aging process of the clones here could be that fast? I am assuming that the tech that they have to do the cloning is no where near the quality that you would find on kamino, which is why the aging process could be faster.

Also the original intention of the two groups being there and having the cloning technology was to populate a new planet, and what they are actually fighting over is the terraformer.

This is an interesting topic for me. I was thinking of doing a session where the pc's found two groups that have been fighting each other. They tell the pc's they have been fighting for centuries. Later on the pc's find that the 2 groups have been cloning themselves to create more fighters but in the process they age fast, plus the death rate from the battle is outrages. In the end the pc's find that the war between the two groups has actually only been going on for about 4 weeks (but since there has been so much cloning and rapid aging the groups think that it has been centuries from the stories passed down to them.)

In this case, do you think the aging process of the clones here could be that fast? I am assuming that the tech that they have to do the cloning is no where near the quality that you would find on kamino, which is why the aging process could be faster.

Also the original intention of the two groups being there and having the cloning technology was to populate a new planet, and what they are actually fighting over is the terraformer.

If they are only alive for a matter of days, to be honest I don't think they would have fully formed minds, I just feel 4 weeks might be a bit short, 3 months to a year sounds more a sweet spot. Gives them more time to integrate with their environment, and enables you to cap a maximum lifespan of about a month.. Almost puts team fortress into my head.