Sign in to follow this  
Starwoid

Transitioning from EotE BB to an ongoing campaign?

So I am about to begin GMing the BB Mos Shuuta campaign and follow up with the Long Arm of the Hutt campaign. I am planning to allow the players access to any of the pregens from all BBs as well as the website. I have one player joining us mid MS campaign and I plan to create a prisoner/gladiator situation in which the PCs must enter Teemi's undetected and rescue him to continue on to steal the Krayt Fang. Once we have worked our way through these two campaigns we want to create our own PCs and live on to other campaigns. I had the idea that we could customize our own PCs and then steal the KF from their players original PCs which I would convert to NPCs at that point. Thoughts?

Sounds like a fine idea. I didn't even bother to try to offer some sort of smooth transition! The group played the Beginner Box, they enjoyed it so I bought the Corebook. We then did a Gearge Lucas style retro-fit and edited out the old characters (pre-mades) and included shiny new ones. I treated the BB as a taster to the systems and we are now at Act 3 of The Long Arm of the Hutt. We quickly agreed a backstory with Teemo for four of the players, and as one member joined late the group met him at the mines in Act 1. It's worked out fine, admittedly a bit lazy, but there you go.

[...] I am planning to allow the players access to any of the pregens from all BBs as well as the website. [...]

The beginner box for Force and Destiny is set to come out very soon. Some of those pregens are expected to start out with Lightsabers, which may balance well against other Force user PCs, but may not against muggle PCs. Just keep that in mind.

Sounds like fun!

We kind of did something similar. We played the Edge beginner box, loved it. So then we waited and bought the core book but quite a bit of time had passed by the time we sat down to play again. So we just played the beginner box again, except we used new characters created from the rule book and I swapped around some objectives to spice it up. We debated just phasing the new characters into the beginner box characters' position when we started playing again, so magic them into the Krayt Fang and pretend they took it all along, but everyone was a bit rusty so the beginner box worked as a nice rules refresh. We jokingly considered it an alternate timeline.

We've since talked about using it yet again to launch another campaign with the addition of a couple of new players. It simply works really well to introduce people to the rules and get the characters into a nice starting position.

Anyway, I'm rambling on. The point I was going to make is we also thought about converting the beginner characters to NPCs when we swapped to created characters, but honestly everyone just wanted to get on with playing and nobody minded looking the other way and pretending just for the sake of fun. So I suggest just do whatever feels most fun!

My players liked the pregens so much they recreated them with the core rules and we've been playing them ever since.  Of course people come and go over the years but I still have 2 of those original characters at the table.

I like your idea of having their own self-made characters steal from the pre-gens that they've played. The beginner set is outstanding for introducing the system yet whetting the players' appetites for more options, so all in all it's not a bad way to go. I got lucky and had 2 players who started out with Bounty obligations from escaping from a Hutt's slavery. It was all too easy to name the Hutt Teemo and run them through Long Arm of the Hutt (with some slight modifications) to kick off the campaign. I'm currently adapting the adventure from the AoR box to run them through this week and am having trouble figuring out the right balance of opposition since they are not starter level characters. So it's much easier your way than mine.  ;)

That's pretty cool! Which two characters are still around?

In play are Lowrhhick and Mathus, but I'm actually still using Oskara, Justine Bieber (I mean Sasha) and Pash (a.k.a. Gavin) as NPCs as they were played by my players.  In fact, those 3 NPCs are playing a critical role in the story to come.  I love to weave things together behind the scenes to enrich our setting and really make it feel alive.  

Our group went from the beginner box, to LAotH, to Beyond the Rim, to a weird storyline where they were trying to build a criminal empire but just ended up messing around a bit and killing some guys. We left those characters, two of which were based on the BB character (my GF loved her wookiee) in a spot where they can quite easily transition into a FaD campaign I'm throwing around ideas for. I was a newbie GM when it started, so I didn't really know how to pull it all together, but the players seemed to have fun with it. Learned a lot from just winging sessions after BtR