Sign in to follow this  
Sithborg

Mad Max: Fury Road

Yup. Couldn't understand a single word anyone said for the first half hour, didn't catch a single name, and it was still pretty BA. I'd call it the best movie of the year so far, if Kingsman hadn't been so good. I think my friend described it perfectly: it's what you'd expect from a Michael Bay film, if Michael Bay was actually entertaining.

Yeah reboot mania has produced nothing but trash for years that latest robocop for example.

I actually thought that was a decent movie. I was disappointed that the cities weren't total garbage heaps like in the original, though.

Yeah reboot mania has produced nothing but trash for years that latest robocop for example.

I actually thought that was a decent movie. I was disappointed that the cities weren't total garbage heaps like in the original, though.

Or currently...

I just loved Fury Road. It is just so different than stuff we have gotten recently. It is nice to have an action movie not be a superhero film. And the crazier the better. 

That wasn't mad max! that was some warhammer 40k (pre-unification Terra) Dark Future/ Digganob * acid trip!

And it's awesome!

Think of it as Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (but good) dialled up to eleven!

Some of my favourite (no spoilers) things:

• The first appearance of the War Boys recreating the opening scene from SW a New Hope... with a dune buggy!
  • The War Boys looking like a gang of Quan Chi's (Mortal Kombat)
  • The War Boys chant sounding very similar to Duran Duran's "Wild boys".
  • The Buzzard's spiked car being a nod to "The cars that ate Paris".
  • The sandstorm scene.
  • The music truck (Doof Wagon) full of speakers and 4 kodo drums...
  • ... with a guy up front constantly playing his electric guitar....
  • ... that guitar havin a FLAMTHROWER strapped to it! \m/
  • Did i mention that this is what's producing the movie's soundtrack?

So do yourself a favor and go watch this awesomly over the top action flick!

Or as teh War boy's would say: "Witness!"

* Trust me, if you know of these games, you'll understand that sentence made sense. ;)

Mad Max was awesome. One of the most visually engaging films I've ever seen.

Miller deliberately slowed the framerate down or sped it up to make sure each scene was understandable; this was a huge benefit to me, as I have trouble visually tracking most action movies. I am almost as burned out on shakycam as I am with prequel trilogy bashing. It's all so... pointless and fifteen years ago.

Eh, there's a couple of exceptions to the rule.

Most notably, 2012's Dredd, which despite the studio's insistence on filming in 3D was an entire order of magnitude better than the Sly Stallone effort.

Shame it's unlikely to get a sequel now, I was looking forward to seeing the Dark Judges...

The movie is completely insane, but it just kind of runs with it. Why tone down the crazy when you could stick a guitar player in bright red pajamas on a vehicle covered in drums and amps? 

The fact that almost everything was pyrotechnics and stunt driving was a bonus. I don't hate CGI, but when it isn't necessary I prefer they don't use it. It's less believable than the pyrotechnics.

Yup. Couldn't understand a single word anyone said for the first half hour, didn't catch a single name, and it was still pretty BA. I'd call it the best movie of the year so far, if Kingsman hadn't been so good. I think my friend described it perfectly: it's what you'd expect from a Michael Bay film, if Michael Bay was actually entertaining.

could be worse, the original mad max had to be dubbed as the American audience struggled with australian accents and slang.

A lot of people hate the redub, i dont mind it.   Then again i've never found the original hard to understand either.

Fury Road was so good I saw it twice in theaters. I'm also finding car combat miniature game rules while converting some Hot Wheels into post-apocalyptic battle machines.

Its honestly one of the most artistic movies I've seen in a while. It was a comic book come to life in every best possible way.  Even more amazing was the fact that 90%  of the action was done with practical  effects aka dozens of suicidal stuntmen and as little CG as possible. 10/10, would witness again.

• The music truck (Doof Wagon) full of speakers and 4 kodo drums...
  • ... with a guy up front constantly playing his electric guitar....
  • ... that guitar havin a FLAMTHROWER strapped to it! \m/

Oh, you mean this guy?

main-doof-warrior_LRG.jpg

I picked this up on a t-shirt at FrightRags.com. I don't know if they're still selling it though.

Most notably, 2012's Dredd, which despite the studio's insistence on filming in 3D was an entire order of magnitude better than the Sly Stallone effort.

Shame it's unlikely to get a sequel now, I was looking forward to seeing the Dark Judges...

Karl Urban made a better Dredd than Stalone could ever dream of being. Sure hope they do get a sequel made.

Karl Urban made a better Dredd than Stalone could ever dream of being. Sure hope they do get a sequel made.

I'm not the only one imagining he was an Arbite, was I? IMO that and Hellboy 2 are some of the best sci-fi/fantasy movies in a while...and they're unlikely to get sequels :(

Edited by Stilgod

Terminator Genisys was surprisingly good. 3d best after Judgement day and the first one.

Considering the movie's premise was "the whole timeline of the movies has become one big bowl of timey wimey stuff." The story of course never changes: skynet tries to kill John/Sarah try to stop skynet.

Atleast In this one skynet sent a terminator further back in time to get Sarah connor rather than wait for her to give birth to john and then send the T1000 after two targets.

When i was a kid i made a drawing of Daleks fighting terminators. In genisys we got a nod to Doctor Who. (lets face it there is no reason to get Matt Smith for a minor part if not than to do that.) Stuff like that makes me geek out. :)

Edited by Robin Graves

I'm not the only one imagining he was an Arbite, was I? IMO that and Hellboy 2 are some of the best sci-fi/fantasy movies in a while...and they're unlikely to get sequels :(

I went into the film not expecting much, but I really was pleasantly surprised by it.  It's a great standalone movie, and I loved the way they made it an origin story for Anderson rather than Dredd.

Totally moving off topic, I bought season 1 and 2 of Hannibal on DVD two weeks ago, finished them last Thursday.  Was absolutely blown away... and then I find out the show's been cancelled!