Sign in to follow this  
Giorgio

General Questions

Hello all,

I just recently received the SW AOR beginners box and core rules (which I am just starting to read), and signed up for this forum (which I am also just starting to read). A few question for the community here:

1- Are there any question or subjects that have been asked before repeatedly/dead horse that I should avoid?

2- Had FFG indicated if they will be making more tokens available to purchase in the future, especially starships?

3- Is it ok to ask "what if" questions in order to create, modify, take inspiration or alter the timeline as per the official Disney/Lucasfilm materials?

Thanks to all who reply, and I hope to be a positive contributor in this community. :)

1. Mountains. Best general advice I can give is to just do a search on the forums if you've got a question, because most of the time, it's been answered, and so it's ultimately faster than typing the question and waiting for responses. Doing a search in the following threads will usually get you what you need:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/86143-read-this-first-frequently-asked-questions-about-eote/

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/108101-ffg-developer-answered-questions/

2. They've only ever put out tokens in the Beginner Games. It's possible they will toss out tokens in the future, but for now, assume that if you want to use tokens, you'll need to make more yourself, or you'll have to improvise with WotC's miniatures or any of FFG's numerous miniatures.

3. You're not bound to any sort of canon. Your table, your game, your rules, your story. If you want replace the roles of Luke and everyone in the OT with your players' characters, and all of them are droids named "Bob", you're completely within your right.

1- Are there any question or subjects that have been asked before repeatedly/dead horse that I should avoid?

There's no such thing as a stupid questions but a few common ones:

Yes, EotE, AoR, and FaD are 100% compatible.

Yes, attacks require 1 success to hit and that success does add to the damage.

Yes, vehicle/space combat is kinda weird. It works fine though.

Yes, Move can be abused by lifting character into orbit and dropping them.

No, you can't give a player a rocket launcher and expect him to be victorious against anything heavier then a landspeeder.

No, a Nemesis level NPC cannot "solo" a player party unless they are carefully and exhaustively built specifically to do so.

Yes Triumph/Advantage/Threat/Despair takes getting used to. Yes it's awesome once you are used to it.

No you aren't supposed to take "using the darkside" to flip force pips too seriously. It's there to keep players from using the force to wipe their butts and pick up chicks.

3- Is it ok to ask "what if" questions in order to create, modify, take inspiration or alter the timeline as per the official Disney/Lucasfilm materials?

No, I once ran a game where I asked what if Darth Vader was a good guy, and George Lucas showed up at my house the next day, had his goons beat me up, and he took my books away. That's why I have to post in code from now on...

Edited by Ghostofman

No, I once ran a game where I asked what if Darth Vader was a good guy, and George Lucas showed up at my house the next day, had his goons beat me up, and he took my books away. That's why I have to post in code from now on...

You deserved it...

Wait! What? Vader and the Empire weren't the good guys? Having to deal with a ragtag insurrection and terrorist group? Hmmmm, may have to rewatch the movies to see if you're right. Something seems off to me.

Thanks for everyone's replies so far, very informative. :)

I am currently doing research for creating my campaign, wI'll be elaborating on them over the next few weeks.

All question are set in the year 33:01 (2 BBY) in the EU:

1- Where are all the movie iconics at this time? (Luke, Liea, Han, Lando, Vader, Palpatine, Yoda...)

2- What is the size, composition and placement of the independent rebel naval forces; and where are they aquiring, purchasing, findinding, salvaging and building additional naval units?

3- At this time where is the location and constriction stage of the DS1 and the x4 Excecutor Class SSDs?

4- What are the starship and starfigther classes and models/series from the end of the Republic, under construction under the Empire and Alliance, and currently in limited production/ prototype stage?

5- Would the destruction of Chandrilia instead of Alderaan have had the same impact on the course of the GSW?

6- What "cartoon villainy" was used in the movies that I can avoid in my game?

7- I have seen a few photos of graveyards/derelicts of mayor space battles (page numbers pending) ; are any of these present at this time , and if so where and why were they not cleaned up or salvaged already?

8- At this time, who and where are the survivors of the Jedi Purge?

[What if & What are the ramifications of... Questions]

1- In 0 BBY the Rebellion launched an attack on the DS1 under construction in the Despayre system with the carrier Fortressa and x500 X-Wings, it was a total disaster. What if instead they had successful scouted the area first with recon Y-Wings and had reported the Imperial defenses; then launched a full scale naval assault? Assuming they succeed in its destruction, what comes next?

A major Rebel strategic victory (taking out a super weapon ), and a minor but expensive Imperial set back (none of the leadership was onboard and it wasn't fully staffed or equipped). I could see a pissed off Moff Tarkin ordering the DSP in the Maw Installation to be fully built to operational status, and his rivals in the Fleet to use this loss to embarrass him and push for more funding for the Executors already under construction (which was delayed thanks to that "wasteful" DS1).

2- In 2 BBY Palpatine ordered Vader to kill Starkiller as a test of loyalty, which he did and then pushed into space. Latter Vader recovered Starkiller and repaired him and sent him off to create the resistance to Palpatines rule so they could distract him and them kill him, then Vader and Starkiller would become the true rulers of the Empire.

What if Starkiller had not forgiven him for the betrayal, and heading the words of the Jedi he had previously hunted down and killed, genuinely sought redemption and turn towards the light, informing the resistant leadership who he was and why he really brought them together?

(Using that change as a divergence point from official cannon, I am thinking of Starkiller renouncing the Sith, embracing his true nature as Galen Marek, being a real founding member of the Alliance, and undergoing training as a Jedi Knight. Still working on story ideas this might create)

Most of these answers will vary wildly, withe the canon wipe, much of this info is now very much in flux. Good news is as the GM you're free to make up your own answers with less nerd scrutiny then previously possible.

Thanks for everyone's replies so far, very informative. :)

I am currently doing research for creating my campaign, wI'll be elaborating on them over the next few weeks.

1- Where are all the movie iconics at this time? (Luke, Liea, Han, Lando, Vader, Palpatine, Yoda...)

Offhand.... Luke is farming moisture (those buckets don't carry themselves you know!), Leia is Senatoring or Jr. Senatoring and probably Rebeling a bit on the side, Han and Chewie are probably in the Corporate Sector, Lando is wrapping up something with inflatable bacon on Lothal or possibly getting set up on cloud city, Vader and Palps are bro-fisting their way to the Death Stars completion, and Yoda is on Dagobah wishing he'd brought more mosquito repellant.

What is the size, composition and placement of the independent rebel naval forces; and where are they aquiring, purchasing, findinding, salvaging and building additional naval units?

Open to interpretation. Rebels forces and composition is pretty variable from source to source. We'll likely get this nailed down a  little better in the upcoming season/s of Rebels...

3- At this time where is the location and constriction stage of the DS1 and the x4 Excecutor Class SSDs?

Previously Despayre was teh Dstar construction site, though that could easily change in that new movie they just announced.

4- What are the starship and starfigther classes and models/series from the end of the Republic, under construction under the Empire and Alliance, and currently in limited production/ prototype stage?

Super Duper in flux. Rebel Season 2 Trailers are showing craft previously considered to not be available until much later.

- Would the destruction of Chandrilia instead of Alderaan have had the same impact on the course of the GSW?

....not sure.... your call.

What "cartoon villainy" was used in the movies that I can avoid in my game?

In the movies? Nothing really.... except for everything Jar Jar does of course...

I have seen a few photos of graveyards/derelicts of mayor space battles (page numbers pending) ; are any of these present at this time , and if so where and why were they not cleaned up or salvaged already?

Sure! Graveyards are interesting, so yes! They are where you need them to be. No real official statements I know of as to why they are sitting around. My angle is usually that they have been picked over, and the good stuff is largely gone. Mostly all that's left is hazmat and durasteel, stuff that's just as easy and affordable to get new as it is to chop up and melt back down.

At this time, who and where are the survivors of the Jedi Purge?

Yoda, Obi.... and anyone else needed for your campaign. Rebels has shown the inquisition is active, so they are clearly out there....

In 0 BBY the Rebellion launched an attack on the DS1 under construction in the Despayre system with the carrier Fortressa and x500 X-Wings, it was a total disaster. What if instead they had successful scouted the area first with recon Y-Wings and had reported the Imperial defenses; then launched a full scale naval assault? Assuming they succeed in its destruction, what comes next?

Any number of possibilities.... (also seriously 500 x-wings?)

Offhand I'd assume the naval forces would be horribly crippled, that that wasn't destroyed. Also without Alderaan it'd be easier to paint the rebels as terrorists attacking an orbital construction site and inflicting massive causalities.

Other stuff

Sounds ok. Just be careful about TFU material. It get's a little crazy and not everyone likes it. If your group are a bunch of FUnatics though, you'll be ok (as long as they aren't planning on doing that kind of insanity in the RPG of course... or if they are you have accounted for it)

1 - Leia is most likely on Alderaan completing her education.  Han is bouncing around the galaxy doing smuggling runs for Jabba.  Luke is flying T-16s through Beggar's Canyon and tagging womp rats.  Lando probably has taken over Cloud City by this point and is probably struggling to run it efficiently and profitably.  Vader is probably still hunting Jedi and rooting out any possible dissidents across the galaxy.  Palpatine is probably conniving and scheming to further strengthen his iron grip on the galaxy.  Yoda is on Dagobah.  Obi-wan Kenobi is on Tattooine.

2 - Depending on what sources you look at, the Rebel Alliance doesn't truly exist yet.  You would have small scattered groups of resistance that are not very organized and have varying degrees of success.  The Force Unleashed video game uses the EU concept of the Treaty of Corellia occurring approximately 1 BBY when Senators Bail Organa, Garm bel Iblis, and Mon Mothma officially declared the Alliance to Restore the Republic on Corellia.   I would imagine there would be some starfighters and maybe a few Corellian CR90 Corvettes at this point, maybe others.

3 - DS1 is most likely finished in its construction but still undergoing shakedown trials.  Despayre has been destroyed by this point.  Of the 4 Executor-class SSDs, the Executor is nearing completion at Kuat, the Executor that would become Lusankya is also nearing completion at Fondor.  The spaceframes and keels for the other two are probably being laid out and awaiting the final go ahead for full construction.

4 - There are too many to fully list and describe.  X-wings and TIE interceptors are probably in development.  TIE Fighters and Y-wings are being produced en masse.

5 - The destruction of Alderaan was definitely a major catalyst for many worlds and people to support the Alliance, especially since Alderaan had no weapons or military.  Destroying Chandrila would have probably have the same effect but a lesser magnitude.

6 - Define cartoon villainy

7 - Some graveyards are probably present but I would think most by now have been picked pretty clean.

8 - Obi-wan Kenobi, Yoda are the only two from the films.  Other sources have said Shaak Ti, Maris Brood, Ferus Olin, Jax Pavan, Echuu Shen-Jon, plus many others are still around at various points.  For the sake of your game, definitely have Yoda and Kenobi.

Ramifications

1 - It is a major victory for the Rebels but without the destruction of Alderaan, you probably wouldn't see the support the Alliance gained from that loss and the subsequent destruction of DS1.  The Empire would probably spin as a terrorist attack that destroyed a Planetary Ore Extractor, a highly efficient mobile mining facility.

2 - Oooof... loaded question...

In 0 BBY the Rebellion launched an attack on the DS1 under construction in the Despayre system with the carrier Fortressa and x500 X-Wings, it was a total disaster. What if instead they had successful scouted the area first with recon Y-Wings and had reported the Imperial defenses; then launched a full scale naval assault? Assuming they succeed in its destruction, what comes next?

Any number of possibilities.... (also seriously 500 x-wings?)

Offhand I'd assume the naval forces would be horribly crippled, that that wasn't destroyed. Also without Alderaan it'd be easier to paint the rebels as terrorists attacking an orbital construction site and inflicting massive causalities.

In the Death Star novel, a Lucrehulk carrier carrying 500 X-wings attacked the Death Star.  The Death Star destroyed the Fortressa in one, highly underpowered shot.

In the Death Star novel, a Lucrehulk carrier carrying 500 X-wings attacked the Death Star.  The Death Star destroyed the Fortressa in one, highly underpowered shot.

Yeah, I believe it's in a novel, I'm just surprised the author felt that number sounded like a good one. As I've said before, seems like a lot of these guys are spending less time telling a good Star Wars yarn and more time trying to one-up every other author....

Yeah, I believe it's in a novel, I'm just surprised the author felt that number sounded like a good one. As I've said before, seems like a lot of these guys are spending less time telling a good Star Wars yarn and more time trying to one-up every other author....

The failed attack was definitely something that could have been left out...

Thanks for the feedback so far, much appreciated. I will incorporate my replies when I create new research threads.

A few points:

1- How do I refere to the SW reference materials that was both Cannon and Expanded Universe, before Disney purchased Lucasfilm and announced a new series of movies and TV Shows.

Is it called "Star Wars Legends" or something else?

2- Cartoon Villinary was a bad choice of words, I was referring more of a less "the villains need to act stupid so the heroes don't all die" or "let's have the otherwise smart and competent opposion do real dumb **** so the heroes have a fighting chance".

Examples*:

Elite Stormtroopers who can't shot straight and die like flies.

Imperial Naval command not having backup plans or able to do fighting withdrawals.

*= I understand why this was done in the movies for plot/story reasons, but I don't have to follow it in my campaign.

Any examples of how to make the Empire more competent and deadly are welcome. :)

Is it called "Star Wars Legends" or something else?

Legends. 

Any examples of how to make the Empire more competent and deadly are welcome.

1) have a plan for combat encounters, don't just lob troopers at the players. Put yourself in the troopers shoes, and make use of their special rules and abilities. 

2) use the book, but don't go down with the ship. If you need a rival level veteran stormtrooper that isn't a sergeant, make one. 

3) The empire comes equipped for the mission. They should rarely suffer setbacks for cold, heat, ect. Just remember they have the gear for it.

4) Learn how vehicle combat works. TIEs make a lot of sense within the system if you know how to use them.

Also... Don't kill the players. Other systems tend to make death a little easier, usually because the solution is only a resurrection spell away. Star Wars has a bit harder time with death. Its not fun to spend all day building a character only to get greased day 1

Ghostofman,

The Stormtroopers in the core rules, are they of the movie variety (drop like flies) or of the RPG background setting (elite warriors that undergo harsh training and can fight hard and are tough to take down)?

Ghostofman,

The Stormtroopers in the core rules, are they of the movie variety (drop like flies) or of the RPG background setting (elite warriors that undergo harsh training and can fight hard and are tough to take down)?

Both?

They are minion level characters, so they have a low wound threshold and can be auto zonked by a crit, and they get skill ranks from grouping, so it'll take more than a lone trooper to do anything triumphant.

On the other hand, they are armored so it'll take more then pistols to one-shot them. They carry rifles, so they hit hard. They have a decent spread of weapons and support gear, so they won't suffer setbacks for common environmental conditions and will generally have the right tool and/or weapon for the job. They have discipline as a grouped skill, so they won't run from a fight in a group, likewise groups will shoot quit well...

They also synergize with other imperials. Tactical direction can make them more maneuverable, or better at something. Imperial Valor can allow them to shield a Nemesis level NPC, keeping that be at stick in the fight.

Its also a matter of tactics and encounter design. A group of five stormies whill shoot you to peices, but a marauder with an improved vibroaxe will cut them apart like wet paper in a turn or two. Five ungrouped Stormie's will have trouble hitting a starcruiser with a shotgun, but they each get a shot and the same marauder will take a while to cut down each separately....

Finally they are intended for customizing. Give them the gear they need for the mission, even if its not on the official stat block, make a rival level veteran or two to fill specialist roles the minions aren't appropriate for. No one will look twice if the troopers are equipped with integrated breathmasks and flamethrowers if it makes sense to have them. Likewise it'll be no surprise if the dude with the repeating blaster is a rival with some skill instead of a green dice tossing minion.

Edited by Ghostofman

3. You're not bound to any sort of canon. Your table, your game, your rules, your story. If you want replace the roles of Luke and everyone in the OT with your players' characters, and all of them are droids named "Bob", you're completely within your right.

So I totally know what I'm going to do for my next AoR campaign now. Well, maybe a one shot of the events in A New Hope and see how the players like it but knowing them, they'd find this absolutely hilarious. Thanks!

Update:

Since I last posted here in May 2015 I had multiple life changing events happen to me, my wife, and our family's. Things have started to settle down, and I can finally devote some time to preparing my next SW game. I will be following up on this thread in the next few days as I star reading about SW again. I am waiting for my books to arrive to my new home in Florida before I can go into deep work on the campaign...

Update:

Since I last posted here in May 2015 I had multiple life changing events happen to me, my wife, and our family's. Things have started to settle down, and I can finally devote some time to preparing my next SW game. I will be following up on this thread in the next few days as I star reading about SW again. I am waiting for my books to arrive to my new home in Florida before I can go into deep work on the campaign...

You don't happen to live near Kissimmee, do you?

You got off lucky. The FFG Police came to my house and burnt all my gaming books. Not just their Star Wars books, but every single gaming book I owned.

Reading over your list of questions, it all comes down to one very vital, all encompassing response: what does your story need? 

Do you need a graveyard of ships and wreckage in orbit above Residia? Boom, there's now a orbital reef of derelict ships. Where are Han, Luke, Etc? Wherever you need them to be. What ships do the Rebels have? If your story needs them to have a fleet of Trade Federation Battleships, so be it. Who survived the Jedi Purge? If you need every single Jedi exterminated, then even Yoda and Kenobi fell.

So don't fall into the trap of being beholden to what a long forgotten comic book 25 years ago came up with in one throwaway panel. Come up with your story and bend the universe to your whim, not the other way around.

Ugh, that one scene really bugged the hell out of me. The Rebels has the Idiot Ball that day. Even assuming that the Death Star just sat there with no response whatsoever - no returning fire, no TIE fighters scrambled to intercept the enemy, nothing - there was no way that they could have inflicted enough damage to something the size of a moon. Hell, even with a Cheat Code enabled giving the X-Wings unlimited missiles and flight time, they could have pounded on the Death Star for a month and not destroyed it.

Edited by Desslok

No you aren't supposed to take "using the darkside" to flip force pips too seriously. It's there to keep players from using the force to wipe their butts and pick up chicks.

What do you have against picking up chicks huh?!?  Have you seen chicks?!  They're like, super tiny!  And they have itty bitty little wings!  They can't move very well until they are much bigger.  They totally have to be picked up!!   You're so cruel!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/nqVgXD4Mujt0_OomQQ7LLWIVrdupIi41Noa5v6D7hmnKZIJXushEGOM5z990_WJAFXo=h900

Edited by KungFuFerret

Lutz, Florida; arrived less that 5 months ago. Still awaiting for my FFG SW books to arrive from Puerto Rico, should be arriving next week I hope. Started today working on my campaign ideas after a years absence, preparing a campaign for later this year or early next year.

You don't happen to live near Kissimmee, do you?

Reading over your list of questions, it all comes down to one very vital, all encompassing response: what does your story need? 

That is a very good question, need to think about it before I answer. I am currently in the "reading and research" phase of my campaign draft, I am using the EU/Legends timeline/storylines are a source of inspiration, and nothing from the new Disney storyline (at this time). Thinking about what kind of game I want to run and what kind of stories I want to tell...

Edited by Giorgio