Sign in to follow this  
RookieOne

3x4 set up, why the extra space?

Hi guys,

Thanks for any advice in advance it's always greatly appreciated!

Just (hopefully) a quick one if I may. At the back of the rule in the set up section it says you need a 6x4 play area to do a 300 point game. But when I look further on and at the picture at the back it's only a 3x4 area. Is this extra area necessary for anything? I only ask because I currently only have a 3x3 play area and we want to play some larger games but I'd rather not have a 6x4 top on my table if I could avoid it. If there's a easy answer I do apologise but hopefully this will allow me and my friend to start enjoying Armada the way it was meant to be played!

Many thanks

R1

You deploy in the 3x4, you play on the 3x6. This is to prevent a ship to play the "fortress" strategy of parking in a corner hiding 2 hull side.

Thanks for the clarification, whilst it'll be annoying to get hold of a 6x4 surface to play on the makes alot of sense. Glad to see FFG are thinking all this stuff through!

Many thanks guys

I have got four different 3'x3' mats.  Two FFG starfields, one FFG Deathstar and one red nebula from another producer.  I also have a 4'x6' space mat from another producer.  None are ideal for Armada.  I either have to put two small mats together, leaving an unsightly seam down the middle where they join, or I have to mark off 6" of either long edge of the 4'x6' mat to have an official play area.  I wonder when FFG will get around to producing a 6'x3' mat especially with Armada in mind.

The mat (gameplay area) is 6x3, but if you want space to put your ship cards, damage cards etc then you need a 6x4 surface.

Yeah... but that doesn't have anything to do with the game. I use an 8x3 surface, but that doesn't mean the game requires 8x3. :)  The OP mentioned not wanting a 6x4 surface so I was pointing out that he doesn't actually need one quite that big.

I have got four different 3'x3' mats.  Two FFG starfields, one FFG Deathstar and one red nebula from another producer.  I also have a 4'x6' space mat from another producer.  None are ideal for Armada.  I either have to put two small mats together, leaving an unsightly seam down the middle where they join, or I have to mark off 6" of either long edge of the 4'x6' mat to have an official play area.  I wonder when FFG will get around to producing a 6'x3' mat especially with Armada in mind.

Yeah, it's awkward. 6x3 is an unusual size and I'm concerned as to how stores are going to handle it.

Based on X-Wing experience most space mats are either 4x4 with a taped off 3x3 play area or 3x3's (that could be sidled up to make a 6x3... might not match, and you might see two Death Stars in one system! But I'd rather have a legal play area than a pretty one.)

The mat (gameplay area) is 6x3, but if you want space to put your ship cards, damage cards etc then you need a 6x4 surface.

Yeah... but that doesn't have anything to do with the game. I use an 8x3 surface, but that doesn't mean the game requires 8x3. :)  The OP mentioned not wanting a 6x4 surface so I was pointing out that he doesn't actually need one quite that big.

Sure, you dont need one, but the game is going to be horrible to play without one, as you will either have cards on the play area, needing to be moved around ships as the game shifts, or have them off the table on your lap or something which will lead to not being able to see your opponents cards/upgrades/damage, again being a poor gameplay experience.

Edited by MaverickNZ

My table is pretty much exaclty 3 wide, it's a lot longer then 6 though, so there is plenty of room for cards and stuff to the side of the play area. I would imagina a side board of some type would do just fine if the main play table doesn't have extra room. So I still think it is very acurate to say you do not need any larger table then 6x3.

I have a WHITE 3x6 dining table...I just pretend there is a very bright star nearby :D

I'm an x wing player and I want to get into Armada, the main issue is the playing size area.

I have a 3x3 star mat, and at a push I can extend it to 4x3, but I live in a small apartment and I can't use a 6x3 area.

The question is: Would 250 point Armada games be viable on a 3x3 mat? I know the 180 point game is 3x3.

I know they wouldn't be huge games but I'd like to combine with X wing to make campaigns with larger fleet battles and smaller skirmish scenarios. I'm an imperial player in x wing, and would be in Armada also, and I wouldn't use 'dirty' tactics like parking the Star Destroyer in a corner (which I know is a reason for the larger playing area).

Any thoughts on this from Armada players would be greatly appreciated.

I'm an x wing player and I want to get into Armada, the main issue is the playing size area.

I have a 3x3 star mat, and at a push I can extend it to 4x3, but I live in a small apartment and I can't use a 6x3 area.

The question is: Would 250 point Armada games be viable on a 3x3 mat? I know the 180 point game is 3x3.

I know they wouldn't be huge games but I'd like to combine with X wing to make campaigns with larger fleet battles and smaller skirmish scenarios. I'm an imperial player in x wing, and would be in Armada also, and I wouldn't use 'dirty' tactics like parking the Star Destroyer in a corner (which I know is a reason for the larger playing area).

As long as players agree to it, why not. But it changes the game somewhat.

As long as players agree to it, why not. But it changes the game somewhat.

My opinion is that playing 250 pts. (or more) disadvantages the Rebel player if you're playing on a 3x3 mat. Probably the biggest advantages of the Rebs are speed and maneuverability, and playing on a smaller space goes a long way to negating those. You're bunching everyone up to be funneled into the Imperial kill zones.

Yeah, it's awkward. 6x3 is an unusual size and I'm concerned as to how stores are going to handle it.

Based on X-Wing experience most space mats are either 4x4 with a taped off 3x3 play area or 3x3's (that could be sidled up to make a 6x3... might not match, and you might see two Death Stars in one system! But I'd rather have a legal play area than a pretty one.)

Bold is mine, for emphasis

Any game store worth it's salt is going to have tables large enough to play that miniatures gaming tour de force, Warhammer 40,000. Those are 6x4 surfaces. Just put two FFG mats (either two starfields, or a starfield and a Death Star) next to each other, and you still have 6" on each side of the table for cards and materials.

Star destroyers just aren't manauverable enough to lose that edge space, I went into it in today's game in a massive arc, missed the wall by about 25mm.

Bold is mine, for emphasis

Any game store worth it's salt is going to have tables large enough to play that miniatures gaming tour de force, Warhammer 40,000. Those are 6x4 surfaces. Just put two FFG mats (either two starfields, or a starfield and a Death Star) next to each other, and you still have 6" on each side of the table for cards and materials.

This is what I do myself and the store I play at has four 12'x4' tables...or five 8'x4' tables depending on how they adjust them.