Sign in to follow this  
JBar

Does the Assault Frigate Mk 2 look good or bad?

As a rebel player, I think the Assault Frigate looks really cool. Then again, it brings back nostalgia of playing Star War Empire at War. I think it would fit perfectly with my rebel collection. However, I like fleets that look iconic to the movies, and I don't think the Assault Frigate is in the films. I don't want people to say, "what's that weird thing?" even though I think it looks neat. I've heard people call it a "space whale." What are your thoughts on how it looks?

I love it.  The problem is that if you limit yourself to only the ships seen onscreen, the Imperials are limited to the ISD and SSD, and the Rebels only get the Corvette, Neb B and Mon Cal MC80. Personally, I think "Space Manatee" is more appropriate  :P

WARNING: Personal opinions ahead.  You might not agree with them, and that's fine.  Please don't take these as a personal attack.  You have been warned.

Personally, I think "space whale" is pretty kind.

To me, the Assault Frigate looks like an infected, puss-filled ship on the brink of bursting.

I like my Star Wars ships sleek and/or angular.  The Mon Cal ships aren't angular, but they're very sleek, so they pass my litmus test.  The Neb B isn't necessarily sleek, but it's quite angular, and has a special place in my heart anyway (for some unknown reason).  The Star Destroyers are both sleek AND angular!

Will I still buy it and use it in my fleet?  Certainly!

Will I like the looks of it?  Not remotely.  ;)

WARNING: Personal opinions ahead.  You might not agree with them, and that's fine.  Please don't take these as a personal attack.  You have been warned.

Personally, I think "space whale" is pretty kind.

To me, the Assault Frigate looks like an infected, puss-filled ship on the brink of bursting.

I like my Star Wars ships sleek and/or angular.  The Mon Cal ships aren't angular, but they're very sleek, so they pass my litmus test.  The Neb B isn't necessarily sleek, but it's quite angular, and has a special place in my heart anyway (for some unknown reason).  The Star Destroyers are both sleek AND angular!

Will I still buy it and use it in my fleet?  Certainly!

Will I like the looks of it?  Not remotely.  ;)

I like how you put it, anyone posting here should understand that we're talking about a miniature that is in the grand scheme of things, insignificant. Thanks for the opinion. I like to hear what people think even if I disagree, and that's fine :). Your description actually made me laugh.

It is FUGLY! The Space Guppy is the worst looking ship I've ever seen plopped out of a Star Wars design. As was said above, these ships should look sleek and sexy, not like a bundle of bubbles. I'm a Rebel player who will be severely hampered until Wave 2, because I won't be fielding that monstrosity, even if all the best strategies and builds revolve around that thing.

Ah yes, the Space Whale. I heard someone mention when it was first previewed that it looked like a Whale and I couldn't help but blurt out Space Whale! (Much like Vintage 80's Spaceman from the Lego Movie.) Since then it has always been Space Whale to me.

Of course it is a term of endearment for me becuase I have been falling in love with its looks more and more and now that I have it in hand I love the thing. It is different looking but has many of the classic features of ships from the Star Wars Universe. So even though it is not from the movies (Neither were the GSD and VSD.) it is easily recognizable as a ship from Star Wars.

So yes, I call it the Space Whale, but that is not becuase I hate the looks, it's just becuase of a random comment and my son's love for a movie character. So when you see that beast floating through space don't forget to yell out "Space Whale!"

Mind you, not everyone is going to like its look, and that is totally fine. Did you know back when I was young many of my friends thought the Falcon was "weird" looking and just ugly. Now it's one of the most loved ships, but not becuase it won a beauty contest.

Edited by Beatty

Ah yes, the Space Whale. I heard someone mention when it was first previewed that it looked like a Whale and I couldn't help but blurt out Space Whale! (Much like Vintage 80's Spaceman from the Lego Movie.) Since then it has always been Space Whale to me.

Of course it is a term of endearment for me becuase I have been falling in love with its looks more and more and now that I have it in hand I love the thing. It is different looking but has many of the classic features of ships from the Star Wars Universe. So even though it is not from the movies (Neither were the GSD and VSD.) it is easily recognizable as a ship from Star Wars.

So yes, I call it the Space Whale, but that is not becuase I hate the looks, it's just becuase of a random comment and my son's love for a movie character. So when you see that beast floating through space don't forget to yell out "Space Whale!"

Mind you, not everyone is going to like its look, and that is totally fine. Did you know back when I was young many of my friends thought the Falcon was "weird" looking and just ugly. Now it's one of the most loved ships, but not becuase it won a beauty contest.

You bring up a great point about the Falcon. I used to think it was ugly at first because it wasn't symmetrical like most ships. Now it's probably my favorite ship because it is so unique. Besides, the Star Wars universe isn't mostly about smooth, sleek cruisers. It's more of a gritty universe where rebels and smugglers strap whatever they can together to in a time of need.

I'm with Lifer4700.  I've called it the "Flying Egg", but "Flying Pustule" is so much more descriptive...

I've debated proxying it with another model on the table, but I'll give it a chance to grow on me.  I have antibiotics ready in case it spreads....

I dislike it.  there is not much about it that I do like, but the thing I dislike the most is one single engine.   No other large warship is configured this way. most ships this size have clusters of engines.  I think it looks ugly and goofy both.  I think they did a good job on the model, but I think the overall design is bad.

I agree that we are going to have to dip into the EU here early and often, but we could have left that one there, as far as I am concerned.  it does not look like something that is designed to move.

I think it looks ok, but its not my favorite Rebel ship by a long shot. I really don't care for it, but it has it's uses. What really turns me off to it though is not so much its terrible looks, but the fact that it has one engine thruster bell. Strikes me as a total design fail for a warship. If the game allowed targeting of ship's parts instead of just arcs, Id blast that engine off and leave it dead in space. Kinda like the days of ships with one propeller. Relying on that one engine seems really chancy, especially with Imperials trying hard to kill it.

Frankly, it looks like someone started designing a 2000m ship and was told, "Nope! Wrap it up!" after the first 500 meters or so.

You bring up a great point about the Falcon. I used to think it was ugly at first because it wasn't symmetrical like most ships. Now it's probably my favorite ship because it is so unique. Besides, the Star Wars universe isn't mostly about smooth, sleek cruisers. It's more of a gritty universe where rebels and smugglers strap whatever they can together to in a time of need.
I remember when I saw Slave One when The Empire Strikes Back came out and was very disappointed in Boba Fett's ship. (Boba Fett came out as an action figure back when they were first being made and long before ESB. I don't remember the Christmas special he was in but his origins come from one back in 78.) it was ugly and made no sense as a space ship, but it was very unique and I grow to like it a lot. But when it was first shown in ESB I was disappointed. I loved Boba's action figure and couldn't wait to find out more about him when the movie came out.

I like it. It's hideous and bulbous and strange, and in my opinion that makes it awesome.

Star Wars isn't about sleek or sexy ships. It's about hodgepodges. Uglyness. Sleekness. Pure intimidation. All of them make their presense know.

So I'm all for the Space Whale. It fits the universe.

I kinda like the Space Whale. It is different, for sure, but then those Rebel scum's ships have always been quite raggletaggle and not quite fitting to each other. As such, the AF fits in (in that strange "it doesn't fit in way") the other rebel ships quite well, even as it is a way more elegant design than those rebels use to employ.

"good" or "bad" really don't mean anything without some kind of context :P

personally, I love it

it looks like some bloated space whale or balloon animal, this peculiar blob of a ship that I just can't help but fall in love with (I'm a sucker for weird things, like Star Vipers)

Edited by ficklegreendice

But really... Everytime my sister moves the Goldfish, I cant help it but to see it wags its tiny tail to propell that fat body ahead

I think you should lay off the drugs when you play with your sister.  ;)

Seriously, don't Softball those comments in like that.

Originally I was disappointed that they went with the Mark 2 over some of the Mark 1 configurations. But the design has grown on me (maybe like the plague?). It is currently my favorite rebel ship by capabilities, and I am dang tempted to paint some teeth on one of them.

I am dang tempted to paint some teeth on one of them.

THIS! Painting it like an A10 muzzle would be the reason for me to field it in every list... that being said, not fielding one because of how it looks is kinda silly. Not trying to rustle any jimmies here but its a rebel ship to go head to head with a Vic and an excellent platform to spread squadron hate and discontent among TIE swarms. It's not the size of the blowhole in the Space Whale, but how many holes it can blow in a Star Destroyer... I'm pretty sure that's how that saying went

Edited by Sun Crusher

Originally I was disappointed that they went with the Mark 2 over some of the Mark 1 configurations. But the design has grown on me (maybe like the plague?). It is currently my favorite rebel ship by capabilities, and I am dang tempted to paint some teeth on one of them.

I'm seriously considering airbrushing one black and white and putting on a military model A-10 Warthog teeth decal so it looks like an orca.

But really... Everytime my sister moves the Goldfish, I cant help it but to see it wags its tiny tail to propell that fat body ahead

I think you should lay off the drugs when you play with your sister.  ;)

Seriously, don't Softball those comments in like that.

Easy Beatty, steady on.

Personally I loved his comment. And now that's exactly what I'm gonna see every time my roommate fields his.

Can't wait to have a Gladiator eat a Space Koi.

Ok, you can't call the Assault Frigate a Space Whale. That name belongs to another ship in FFG's Star Wars line up, X-Wing's own Alabaster Space Whale, the Lambda Shuttle.

I like Space Guppy but Space Whale is already taken.

Edited by zathras23