Sign in to follow this  
Moonface

Wave 1 Paint Quality.

For the price of the models the paint quality is very good. All the other companies stuff is on par money to point scale but don't come painted. I'm very happy to spend 10 mins per model to add a little detail and wash them verse paying an extra 20 bucks.

Edited by Chris RR

the cr-90 and neb are the same disappointing quality as in the core, but this is hilariously easy to fix with either your own painting tools or a local painter to be bribed with free lunch

**** it, I could have had free lunch.

While I've seen some exceptions on xwing models (really dark decimator, or smudges on slave 1 canopies) generally we've come to expect high quality from those models. Armada has a paint quality issue pretty much across the board.

The problem with the preview articles not matching the final result is that in the past the preview articles DID match the final result.

Agreed. Do we know if they have come from a different producer than the X-wing miniatures?

the cr-90 and neb are the same disappointing quality as in the core, but this is hilariously easy to fix with either your own painting tools or a local painter to be bribed with free lunch

While I've seen some exceptions on xwing models (really dark decimator, or smudges on slave 1 canopies) generally we've come to expect high quality from those models. Armada has a paint quality issue pretty much across the board.

The problem with the preview articles not matching the final result is that in the past the preview articles DID match the final result.

Agreed. Do we know if they have come from a different producer than the X-wing miniatures?

I contacted FFG Customer Service last week about the paint issue.  They stated that the paint for the figure is on par with all the others that they have seen and that it is within tolerance.   :huh:  I do hope that someone in their QA department is taking note, and that producing within tolerance, as opposed to producing to the highest quality possible, does not become a trend.

In comparison to the rest of the miniatures industry, where models are provided unpainted and unassembeled, usually for more than the price of the Armada minis, I don't get the complaints.  Every miniatures game I've ever seen shows models painted with studio quality jobs - the kind of stuff you'd pay a hundred or two (or more!) to commission someone to paint.  To expect paint jobs exactly as seen in the FFG promo pics is simply unreasonable... unless you'd be willing to pay ~100 for the smaller ships and 150 for the larger ships.

Edited by Endgame124

I contacted FFG Customer Service last week about the paint issue.  They stated that the paint for the figure is on par with all the others that they have seen and that it is within tolerance.   :huh:  I do hope that someone in their QA department is taking note, and that producing within tolerance, as opposed to producing to the highest quality possible, does not become a trend.

Unless their tolerance is producing at the highest quality possible for their contracted price point.

In comparison to the rest of the miniatures industry, where models are provided unpainted and unassembeled, usually for more than the price of the Armada minis, I don't get the complaints. Every miniatures game I've ever seen shows models painted with studio quality jobs - the kind of stuff you'd pay a hundred or two (or more!) to commission someone to paint. To expect paint jobs exactly as seen in the FFG promo pics is simply unreasonable... unless you'd be willing to pay ~100 for the smaller ships and 150 for the larger ships.

I don't want to labour this point but it's quite obvious to me, the expectations set by both the promotional images and prior work (Xwing) lead many, myself included to expect better than what we got.

It's not unreasonable to expect something that closely, not exactly, resembles the promotional pieces. That's what we have trading standards bodies after all.

Edited by Tetsugaku-San

While the quality may vary, mine match the promo shots quite well. The only small issue I have is that the Glads are a slightly different shade of gray from the VSD and the AF are not as white as I'd like. That said the application of the paint is very good. There is a thread on BGG comparing the promo shot the the actual model and they are as close as one can expect.

I feel that part of the issue is that the Glad model is less detailed than the VSD, so the wash picks out fewer details. However this is the same on the promo shots.

While the quality may vary, mine match the promo shots quite well. The only small issue I have is that the Glads are a slightly different shade of gray from the VSD and the AF are not as white as I'd like. That said the application of the paint is very good. There is a thread on BGG comparing the promo shot the the actual model and they are as close as one can expect.

I feel that part of the issue is that the Glad model is less detailed than the VSD, so the wash picks out fewer details. However this is the same on the promo shots.

Its not the application thats the issue. Its just that the colors are off. Its like a bad batch of paint or something. When I hand paint mini you also get a similar effect with too heavy of a wash. Trouble is it will take a fair amount of work to brighten these up. If its bad washing screwing the paint up, I'd rather have them unwashed so the colors are bright at least.

The complaint with photos showing the gladiator being 'off' from the VSD tells me that this is a pretty entitled whine.  They look near-identical to me.  As a hobby-wargamer for over a decade I can say these are great for pre-painted products at the price point set.  I wouldn't let photoshop (or what I actually thought were CGI ships in the preview) ruin what I knew I was buying; a prepainted toy from China.

If you wanted me to paint a mini of this size to the quality of the image (which isn't anything special), you'd be paying me twice as much as the blister price.

Edited by TheAmbit

In comparison to the rest of the miniatures industry, where models are provided unpainted and unassembeled, usually for more than the price of the Armada minis, I don't get the complaints.  Every miniatures game I've ever seen shows models painted with studio quality jobs - the kind of stuff you'd pay a hundred or two (or more!) to commission someone to paint.  To expect paint jobs exactly as seen in the FFG promo pics is simply unreasonable... unless you'd be willing to pay ~100 for the smaller ships and 150 for the larger ships.

You can't compare in that regards though. Painting is a core part of the army collection/hobby for those games that provide unpainted miniatures, and more importantly, that is the expectation when buying them. The expectation for the Armada miniatures are that are pre-painted and so they should match the pre-painting in the promo pictures, which isn't the case.

The complaint with photos showing the gladiator being 'off' from the VSD tells me that this is a pretty entitled whine.  They look near-identical to me.  As a hobby-wargamer for over a decade I can say these are great for pre-painted products at the price point set.  I wouldn't let photoshop (or what I actually thought were CGI ships in the preview) ruin what I knew I was buying; a prepainted toy from China.

If you wanted me to paint a mini of this size to the quality of the image (which isn't anything special), you'd be paying me twice as much as the blister price.

That's all very well, but the paint quality of X-wing is much greater and does more accurately match the promo images that are given. You're trying to mark this down by describing it as a "toy from china", but precedence from X-wing shows that the quality is lower in comparison.

It's a not big deal to me, I took some black wash like others and tidied up the rebel ships. However, the fact that I've had to do that and immediately noticed the big blocks of white when copying the core set does show the quality of them in comparison to the X-wing miniatures, which I feel are at a better level of consistency.

Edited by scott80

I have a photo I took of my 2 Gladiators one is washed and one is unwashed. (Which I washed myself later)

So there are definitely some differences but its assembly line painting by humans... expect some differences :P

You can't compare in that regards though. Painting is a core part of the army collection/hobby for those games that provide unpainted miniatures, and more importantly, that is the expectation when buying them. The expectation for the Armada miniatures are that are pre-painted and so they should match the pre-painting in the promo pictures, which isn't the case.

There may be the expectation of painting the minis in other games such as Warhammer, Warmachine, etc, but those companies never advertise their models painted with the fairly standard 5 color, unblended paint job either, which is what most customers will eventually end up with (if they don't just stick to playing unpainted).  I expected FF to do nothing less than hire the best possible artist to paint their sample models.  Then use those models for advertisements (upcoming pages), and also use them as a sample for the factory to base their paint jobs from.  Also, when comparing to X-Wing, I just grabbed a Z-95 and an X-Wing (X-wing is from the original core set @ Gen Con release) and looked at them next to a corvette.  Overall, I'd say they are comparable.  

The comparison of X-wing to Armada as a blanket comparison is also a bit misleading.  Are you speaking of all x-wing ships or just fighters?  My falcon and Tantive look the same, quality wise, as my rebel stuff in Armada.  The larger the model, the less you can hide with a wash.

Could my armada stuff be better painted? Definitely.  Could my x-wing? yup.  That's why I've done touch ups to both.

These look fine from 'gamer distance' of 2 feet or so while you sit or stand at the table.  People are complaining it's too expensive now, and takes too long to ship.  Basically FFG found a middle ground and went with it. 

These look fine from 'gamer distance' of 2 feet or so while you sit or stand at the table.  People are complaining it's too expensive now, and takes too long to ship.  Basically FFG found a middle ground and went with it.

I think they did a really good job of finding that middle ground of time, cost, and quality. The other companies I have gotten prepainted minis from are not this good and cost more!

I expected FF to do nothing less than hire the best possible artist to paint their sample models.  Then use those models for advertisements (upcoming pages), and also use them as a sample for the factory to base their paint jobs from.  

This would be fine if FFG advertised them as such. * studio painted models. Sold pre-painted. Companies like privateer are pretty clear their models are unpainted. I don't think that's the actual case here though. I think its a QC issue.

Why would you expect this?  Most people here are saying this is well above 'industry standard'.  Do you complain when your bigmac doesn't look like the commercial?

Actually, I don't really care.  I'm going to play with my space ships.

Edited by TheAmbit

In comparison to the rest of the miniatures industry, where models are provided unpainted and unassembeled, usually for more than the price of the Armada minis, I don't get the complaints. Every miniatures game I've ever seen shows models painted with studio quality jobs - the kind of stuff you'd pay a hundred or two (or more!) to commission someone to paint. To expect paint jobs exactly as seen in the FFG promo pics is simply unreasonable... unless you'd be willing to pay ~100 for the smaller ships and 150 for the larger ships.

I don't want to labour this point but it's quite obvious to me, the expectations set by both the promotional images and prior work (Xwing) lead many, myself included to expect better than what we got.

It's not unreasonable to expect something that closely, not exactly, resembles the promotional pieces. That's what we have trading standards bodies after all.

you're being completely unreasonable

these models DO in fact closely resemble what they are advertised as

are all the advertised paint colours there? YES

are they well sculpted? YES

are they shaded? YES, but could use a little more work. which is where YOU come in.  get over yourself.  If you want miracles to happen then you had better go down to the factory and whip those laborers into line and tell them how terrible of a job they are doing and how you are there to straighten them out

otherwise if you don't like it, don't buy it, or paint the **** thing yourself.  Nobody is forcing you to buy them and bitching about something as trivial as paint job that's done 95% of the way and not 100% up to your expectations is complete BS

What? What??? Did you think you'd just throw a buzz word like "entitled" in there and think it would make sense? It's entitled to expect prepainted models, that you pay a premium for, to match???

When compared to other miniature games, here is what its like.

As advertised:

StormwallComparison.jpg

As sold

image1.jpg

No one advertises production models.  Never seen it, and for good reason.

Your forgot the fine print that all those models have "models come unpainted and require assemy". Do the armada ships have "paint job may vary, and require additional paint"?

you're being completely unreasonable

are all the advertised paint colours there? YES

are they well sculpted? YES

are they shaded? YES, but could use a little more work. which is where YOU come in.  get over yourself.  If you want miracles to happen then you had better go down to the factory and whip those laborers into line and tell them how terrible of a job they are doing and how you are there to straighten them out

otherwise if you don't like it, don't buy it, or paint the **** thing yourself.  Nobody is forcing you to buy them and bitching about something as trivial as paint job that's done 95% of the way and not 100% up to your expectations is complete BS

Where do you get off being so damned rude? Seriously how old are you? is this your first time having a social conversation? You don;t speak to people like this in a polite society, especially people you've only just started conversing with.

Mine isn't. Clearly for the people who started this thread and chimed in, there's aren't either.

Ah the do it yourself defence,wrapped up in needless, rude personal attacks.

1) I shouldn't have to do anything to something I bought.

2) You won't get very far in life with an attitude like that.

Got my Gladiator today:

20150520_184320.jpg

Is this what everyone else is seeing?

Wow. That is unacceptable.

Thing is, painting models is a hobby enjoyed by many people. Buying an unpainted model is desirable for many because they want to paint the models themselves. I've spent many hundreds of hours chained to the painting table and thoroughly enjoy it. But at the same time, I've really enjoyed the FFG experience of not needing to paint anything. I have a massive back-log of models to paint so it's nice to be able to slap some fully painted models down on the table without having to paint them myself. It means I can play games in the Star Wars setting without either using unpainted models, or spending ages painting them up.

But models like in the image above are simply not up to scratch. If I was going to buy that model, I'd rather buy it unpainted since the quality in that picture basically means I'm going to need to paint it myself. Which means those models get added to my backlog and I'm forced to either use them with their sloppy factory paintjob, or paint them myself.

Now, this is just my 2 cents as an Australian who still has to wait to get my hands on wave 1, but the picture above is not filling me with hope.