Sign in to follow this  
Moonface

Wave 1 Paint Quality.

17545425448_c13244a300.jpg

This is not the paint scheme that was advertised.

Mine looks nothing like that, instead of white it's the same grey as the gladiator.

I just noticed that mine is the same way, gladiator and AF2 are the same color. And the gladiator is no where near the color of the VSD.

Mine look close:

IMG_20150514_194348.jpg

Mine looks nothing like that, instead of white it's the same grey as the gladiator.

I just noticed that mine is the same way, gladiator and AF2 are the same color. And the gladiator is no where near the color of the VSD.

huh it's funny

I got one AF2 out of a lgs and another from miniature market

the miniature market pre-order doesn't have the dark gray paint on the "mole" on its head, nor on the right side of the model

well, at least it's distinguishable from the lgs one :P

Edited by ficklegreendice

huh it's funny

I got one AF2 out of a lgs and another from miniature market

the miniature market pre-order doesn't have the dark gray paint on the "mole" on its head, nor on the right side of the model

well, at least it's distinguishable from the lgs one :P

I tend to think there is a deliberately allowed degree of variance.

A) To allow for mass-production errors.

B) To fit the "used" aesthetic Star Wars is known for.

My gladiator looks especially crap, two colours, no shades at all, nothing like the advertised promo pictures.

I'm not really into apologist arguments so saying the promo pictures are touched up photo shop adverts cuts no mustard with me - the paint jobs should be better, much better for the £30 they are sold for.

I'm a good painter, I can do something abut this, but I really, really shouldn't have to. If I wanted the hassle of modelling I would have stuck with 40k.

Also my rebel big ship thingy, same two colours as the gladiator. Not impressed FFG.

I wish the Assaul Frigate I saw at an LGS in Richmond looked that good. The one they had colors that looked really washed out and that were nothing like the promo. Instead of staying "in the lines" the paint was all over the model and splotchy. Maybe that store just got a bad batch, but I passed on buying anything there because the corvettes and neb-b's weren't much better either.

I know that some people say a little bit of paint will fix the issue or we're lucky that they're painted at all, but I for one am glad that others noticed this issue. The only way to fix the problem is for FFG customers to tell them they need to do a better job. Given what I have of their LCG game and Xwing, they clearly can do better and will probably be grateful for feedback that will help them improve up to their usual excellent standards.

The quality of Armada releases is actually rather shocking to me, compared to the quality of X-wing.

I have the same problem with the AF, it looks very dull and lacking the white paint compared to the other Rebel ships. Also there's a defect with its base that doesn't allow it to be put on the peg, gonna need to get it replaced. Further my cards were noticeably bent, which I've never have happen before with a FFG product.

Considering I spend $40 on this, while the larger model $30 Millennium Falcon that is painted superbly is sitting right next to it, I'm not that happy.

I'm going to hold off on getting a Gladiator until I can find one that matches the color of the Victory. If that means I wait a year for reprints so be it.

Edited by DarkArk

**** DArk, I think you pulled the mother of all bad packs. Those are definitely customer-support worthy issues.

strange painting aside, both my AFs were perfectly fine component-wise. The stands have to slot in a certain way, but they came in exactly as intended and they fit to the models perfectly.

Mine look close:

IMG_20150514_194348.jpg

That picture is so dark it's hard to tell, but the gladiators still look darker than the VSD.

Mine look close:

IMG_20150514_194348.jpg

That picture is so dark it's hard to tell, but the gladiators still look darker than the VSD.

Yeah my lighting sucks in my dining room.

And I think they are a tad darker, but not uncomfortably so. Besides they still fall within the general grey scheme of the Empire, and that's good enough for me.

I think people expect too much from factory painted models. The fact that it is painted at all is great for most. You want quality that you can proud of grab a brush and have a go at her. Either way, I think the jobs are still good compared to similar companies releases.

I've gotten pre-painted human minis, and relative to the different expectations, FFG's are quite a bit better.

17545706360_82ff1bca94.jpg

honestly, it is the same paint job as avertised.  It, just like the neb B just needs a quick wash to make those panels really "pop" like in the advertising.  You don't need a painter to do it for you. if you can't give it a wash in all the cracks and crevasses on your own then there's really no hope for you anyways.  it's a 2 minute job and i'm sure you can find anyone willing to lend you a brush and a bit of their shade oils for a minor touch up such as this

honestly, it is the same paint job as avertised.  It, just like the neb B just needs a quick wash to make those panels really "pop" like in the advertising.  You don't need a painter to do it for you. if you can't give it a wash in all the cracks and crevasses on your own then there's really no hope for you anyways.  it's a 2 minute job and i'm sure you can find anyone willing to lend you a brush and a bit of their shade oils for a minor touch up such as this

This is the apologist attitude I was talking about. You shouldn't have to do anything to something you buy to make it as advertised.

Here's mine. Flat as a pancake.

This is the apologist attitude I was talking about. You shouldn't have to do anything to something you buy to make it as advertised.

Here's mine. Flat as a pancake.

No. It isn't apolagist. It's realist. No realistic person expects something to look like it does in a promotional photo. It isn't apolagist. It's abproducrive answer rather than a whiny entitled one. You want your stuff to look nicer than it does when you buy it, do something about it. I don't want to pay the extra 60 bucks a model for a fully professional paint job. That's too much money. And it's what it would be worth. For the price we're paying these Paint jobs are fantastic. End of Story.

No. It isn't apolagist. It's realist. No realistic person expects something to look like it does in a promotional photo. It isn't apolagist. It's abproducrive answer rather than a whiny entitled one. You want your stuff to look nicer than it does when you buy it, do something about it. I don't want to pay the extra 60 bucks a model for a fully professional paint job. That's too much money. And it's what it would be worth. For the price we're paying these Paint jobs are fantastic. End of Story.

Christ on a bike. I think you need to look up what apologist means.

Possibly look up why we have trading standards as well.

Edited by Tetsugaku-San

Christ on a bike. I think you need to look up what apologist means.

Possibly look up why we have trading standards as well.

Apolagist implies something wrong was done. It wasn't. Just people complaining that they're miniature wasn't painted by DaVinci.

I don't care about what your expectations were. If you think these paint jobs aren't worth the price you paid you are wrong and don't understand the value of what you got.

A single painting(to be used as say, a book cover) costs in the realm of 100-400 dollars. Painting these miniatures, while not as hard, is still worth a significant chunk of money and time.

Look at the reality of the situation here. Pick what you want your money spent on. And appreciate what you did get. These are still among the best pre-painted miniatures available. They are every bit as good as the ones in X-Wing.

And if you got the rare mistake from an overworked painter, understand the works made thousands of these things for exploitative pay so that we aren't paying American Wages for them. Becuase if we were these models would bottom out at more than we'd be willing to pay.

You aren't looking at the reality. You're looking at a few promotional pictures as if you were promised those.

You saw what was in the box before you paid for it. The box has a clear plastic shell that shows you every detail. If you didn't like that model you should have skipped it.

And if you bought online. Your problem. You had the opportunity to look before you purchased.

If you're u happy with what you bought, stop buying. But don't act like you're entitled to anything more than what you got.

Seriously - how old are you? Are you really saying that you have an absolute objective fact when you say:

If you think these paint jobs aren't worth the price you paid you are wrong and don't understand the value of what you got.

You need to find some humility my friend.

Your opinions are just that. Opinions. So are mine. They are subjective, which means that I can think one thing, and you can think another different thing and we can both still be right.

My toy plastic spaceship was below my expectations. Expectations set by promotional materials set by FFG. I don;t know, or really care about your expectations other than that on balance, I’m glad that you are slightly happier than you would be if you had been disappointed by them.

This:

And if you bought online. Your problem. You had the opportunity to look before you purchased.

Is an apologist attitude, fact.

So is this:

These are still among the best pre-painted miniatures available.

and this:

don't act like you're entitled to anything more than what you got.

You sir are an apologist for FFG and seem to believe that your opinions are facts. Good day to you.

I don't care about what your expectations were. If you think these paint jobs aren't worth the price you paid you are wrong and don't understand the value of what you

Ahh the old if you don't agree with me you are wrong argument. Irrefutable.

Personally I'm not aggrieved enough to return mine or anything, but I will probably see how wave 2 pans out instead of preordering.

I was pretty disappointed on the wave 1 paint quality as well. They're far less contrasty than the photos show. Its not just that photos don't match up with reality, its the the VSD was better. It compared well with the pretty photos. My GSD and AF just look muddy.

Seriously - how old are you? Are you really saying that you have an absolute objective fact when you say:

If you think these paint jobs aren't worth the price you paid you are wrong and don't understand the value of what you got.

You need to find some humility my friend.Your opinions are just that. Opinions. So are mine. They are subjective, which means that I can think one thing, and you can think another different thing and we can both still be right.My toy plastic spaceship was below my expectations. Expectations set by promotional materials set by FFG. I don;t know, or really care about your expectations other than that on balance, I’m glad that you are slightly happier than you would be if you had been disappointed by them.This:

Is an apologist attitude, fact.So is this:

These are still among the best pre-painted miniatures available.

and this:

don't act like you're entitled to anything more than what you got.

You sir are an apologist for FFG and seem to believe that your opinions are facts. Good day to you.

You're wasting your time with him...

the cr-90 and neb are the same disappointing quality as in the core, but this is hilariously easy to fix with either your own painting tools or a local painter to be bribed with free lunch

**** it, I could have had free lunch.

While I've seen some exceptions on xwing models (really dark decimator, or smudges on slave 1 canopies) generally we've come to expect high quality from those models. Armada has a paint quality issue pretty much across the board.

The problem with the preview articles not matching the final result is that in the past the preview articles DID match the final result.

Edited by Xmage