Sign in to follow this  
DScipio

Which other settings (from Star Wars and beyond) interests you?

Which other setting would you like FFG to do for the Armada (or similiar) system?

- Sith Wars (2 Vote)

- Clone Wars (9 Votes)

- Force Awakens (1 Vote)

- Yuzzan Vong War

- Sith-Imperial War (1 Vote)

or even:

-Star Trek (TOS) (9 Votes)

-Star Trek (TNG-DS9-Voy)  (11 Votes)

-Babylon 5  (14 Votes)

-Battlestar Galactica (8 Votes)

-Space: Above and Beyond (Space 2063)

-Warhammer 40k (Battlefleet Gothic) (4 Votes)

-Perry Rhodan

-StarGate (1 Vote)

-Raumpatrouille

-StarCraft

-Mass Effect (1 Vote)

-WWII (4 votes)

-Halo (1 Vote)

-Traveler (1 Vote)

-WIng Commander (2 Vote)

-Freespace (2 Vote)

-Animes (1 Vote)

-Twilight (2 Vote)

-Honorverse (2 Vote)

-Robotech (1 Vote)

Edited by DScipio

I would buy the Star Trek ds9 sets. Too bad that evil company has their grubby hands on that ip.

Wizkids? Why is it evil?

There are many cases brought against Wizkids and why they are not a preferred publisher to most gamers. Personally, I have never been wow'd by their component quality and frequently disappointed (mangled miniatures, sloppy paint jobs). But the very worst problem I have with Wizkids is their terrible development and rules writing. So many games are released imbalanced or confusing. 

The best comparison for this forum is the Star Trek Attack Wing vs. X-Wing: The Minatures Game. STAW models look bland and cheap when compared to the stunning detail of the X-Wing games. Ships (from what I understand) in STAW are not very balanced, where XWTMG is heralded as a fine, tournament-worthy game of balance (in most cases, some strategies will always be more popular in any meta for any game). XWTMG promos feature alternate art, where STAW promos give you game changing, powerful, new dice or ships (or upgrades?). Not to mention, they really didn't have much developing needed to the AW franchise given that they licensed the rule set from an existing game so there isn't much excuse for the lack of balance to their game.

TL;DR: Wizkids produces a product quality that is significantly lower than most modern publishers (especially FFG) and their competitive games frequently suffer from balancing issues.

Another vote for Babylon 5!

Mongoose Publishing tried its hands on it once, but as it is with all things that failure of a company produces it was cancelled after a short time when they lost/dropped the license.

Edited by Lord Tareq

So many B5 votes....

I would buy the Star Trek ds9 sets. Too bad that evil company has their grubby hands on that ip.

Wizkids? Why is it evil?

There are many cases brought against Wizkids and why they are not a preferred publisher to most gamers. Personally, I have never been wow'd by their component quality and frequently disappointed (mangled miniatures, sloppy paint jobs). But the very worst problem I have with Wizkids is their terrible development and rules writing. So many games are released imbalanced or confusing. 

The best comparison for this forum is the Star Trek Attack Wing vs. X-Wing: The Minatures Game. STAW models look bland and cheap when compared to the stunning detail of the X-Wing games. Ships (from what I understand) in STAW are not very balanced, where XWTMG is heralded as a fine, tournament-worthy game of balance (in most cases, some strategies will always be more popular in any meta for any game). XWTMG promos feature alternate art, where STAW promos give you game changing, powerful, new dice or ships (or upgrades?). Not to mention, they really didn't have much developing needed to the AW franchise given that they licensed the rule set from an existing game so there isn't much excuse for the lack of balance to their game.

TL;DR: Wizkids produces a product quality that is significantly lower than most modern publishers (especially FFG) and their competitive games frequently suffer from balancing issues.

Okay, fine. I heard that. That doesnt make a company "evil" in my eyes. Funny enough Games Workshop is also often described as evil, because their products are expensive (but of high quality).

I heard all that complains. But also a lot of praise from some attack wing players.

I order a huge chunck of Star Wars attack Wing ships (but only which fit in scale to each other and Armada no funky ships like the expermital Cruiser 4 of a race we just saw once). I will give Attack Wing a try, its the high praised X-Wing Ruleset after all, but then again we only play casual games. But my main goal is to play it as Star Trek Armada. With the IP in wizKids hands we cant expcet high qualtiy ships from FFG anytime soon, and to be honest a lot from AttackWing doesent look to bad for §10 a ship. Even more I got some 1/7000 D`deridex (prepainted), B`rel; K`Tinga, Defiants and Jem`Hadar Attack ships very cheap ($18 and $1 each), so I am really looking forward to do some Star Trek Armada besinde and against Star Wars Armada.

Edited by DScipio

Another one for Babylon 5 here too :)  That would be awesome, but I would not want a reskin of Armada (or any other game). Even if it was based on Armada rules it would need to be sufficiently different and thematically correct for me to buy into it (an important factor would be simulating the realistic movement portrayed in B5 - i.e. turning ships whilst they continue to move on a different vector).

One thing I noticed my group say from the beginning of Armada is, "This is what Star Trek Attack Wing should have been" - so I'll vote for a Star Trek game. Personally, I'd like to see Battlestar.

World War 2 naval miniatures game using te Armada ruleset would be absolutely amazing.

This is by far the best ruleset I have seen to simulate true Naval action.

I gotta second this.

As much as I enjoy Star Trek, I just don't get the same excitement over ship or fleet combat for that universe like I do with Star Wars stuff. However with the way the game plays, actual, real-world naval combat would be pretty badass. Even stuff like the card upgrade system and fighter gameplay would work out pretty well, I think. It could be something like Americans vs. Japanese as the factions. Granted the ship and fighter variety would probably be much, much smaller than Star Wars offers, but I guess you could have stuff like the Yamato which would still be cool.

Regarding Star Trek Attack Wing. I have played it twice, and there are a few fundamental flaws.

Purely linear point value for ships: 2 points for each attribute. That is it, no change for ship abilities. This means the tie fighter would cost 16 point, while the Phantom would cost only 4 points more at 20 points. Could you imagine 5 phantoms on the table?

Wildly incorrectly costed upgrades. The Borg queen costs like 6 points, and gives you a free action every turn, and if her ship dies she can switch to a different ship. Romulan upgrade that lets you re-roll dice you already re-rolled with a target lock, for like 2-3 points.

Absurd power creep. There are multiple weapon cards that allow you to roll 10! Red dice. A number of ships have 6 native red dice... And to compensate there are absurd upgrade cards, such as cheat death (ships isn't destroyed, just left with 1 hit point) and admiral worf (grant a free attack to nearby ship during movement phase).

Cross faction fleet building. This is the real game breaker for me. You can pay just a small price to use non- faction upgrades, so you can easily power game the upgrade cards. (Imagine if yu could add the BTL and the advanced targeting computer to the Phantom)

Nearly zero after movement actions. No boost, barrel roll limited to cloaked ships. So this essentially removes the arc dodging strategy.

Sorry for rant, but people need to know that FFG puts out a reasonably balanced product compared the the competition.

Could never stand to sit through an episode of B5. I want to gk with clone wars, there are so many good ships to choose from, from that era, but it wouldn't make sense for FFG to release a game that competes with this one. So I'm gonna go with Star Trek armada, with ships that are closer to being in scale than the terrible ones wiz kids created.

World War 2 naval miniatures game using te Armada ruleset would be absolutely amazing.

This is by far the best ruleset I have seen to simulate true Naval action.

I gotta second this.

As much as I enjoy Star Trek, I just don't get the same excitement over ship or fleet combat for that universe like I do with Star Wars stuff. However with the way the game plays, actual, real-world naval combat would be pretty badass. Even stuff like the card upgrade system and fighter gameplay would work out pretty well, I think. It could be something like Americans vs. Japanese as the factions. Granted the ship and fighter variety would probably be much, much smaller than Star Wars offers, but I guess you could have stuff like the Yamato which would still be cool.

Yes, there would essentially be 2-3 different models of each type, but one would want to modify squadron values to reflect pilot training / skill.

Carriers would be somewhat difficult to implement, as why would you ever come anywhere near the enemy fleet and risk being sunk.

But how awesome would sending destroyers in for a torpedo run while generating smoke, as the Iowa and Yamoto trade fire.

Star Wars

The Clone Wars (I would love to see what new ships FFG comes up with for the era or what they do with ships that were never statted anywhere.)

The Legacy comic Era (I love the inventory of ships introduced in this period)

Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi era (Don't like the books that much but I could have a lot of fun with the new ship designs they introduced.)

Other Settings

Babylon 5

Star Trek both TOS and TNG eras

Battlefleet Gothic

Traveler