Sign in to follow this  
Zabby

Epic play. Can somebody explain to me...

... Why huge ships CAN'T be used in 100 points games? Why can't I use the Tantive IV by itself vs a small squadron? Are there balancing issues? When is it balanced, then? 110? 150? 200 points?

No one forbids you from using huge ships in 100 point games. You and your rival are free to set any given point value for your matches, and which ships will be used.

However, if you play tournaments you must abid with the rules.

300 points per side in 1vs1 epic games.

200 points per player in team epic games.

I've never done it, but I'm pretty sure a lone Tantive with only 10 points in upgrades is not going to fare well against 100 points of smaller ships anyway.  You're more than welcome to try, but you could only get 1 secondary weapon in, so you're getting a max of 2 shots per round.

If you take Quad laser cannons then you can only get 2 shots if there are ships in both range 1-2 and 3-5, if they are only in 1 or the other, you're only getting 1 shot.

If you take Single Turbolasers then you can't shoot them at all if they are in range 1-2.

Sounds like it would be pretty one sided.

If you really want to do a 100-point battle that may, vaguely, be balanced, try something like an "Escape from Hoth" setup with the Transport and two X-Wings:

GR-75 Medium Transport (30)
Toryn Farr (6)
WED-15 Repair Droid (2)
Frequency Jammer (4)
Comms Booster (4)
Tibanna Gas Supplies (4)
Dutyfree (2)

Red Squadron Pilot (23)
R2 Astromech (1)

Red Squadron Pilot (23)
R2 Astromech (1)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

... Why huge ships CAN'T be used in 100 points games? Why can't I use the Tantive IV by itself vs a small squadron? Are there balancing issues? When is it balanced, then? 110? 150? 200 points?

It's against the rules to use them in non-epic play, as non-epic play allows for 0 epic points.

If that were not the case, I'd have a lot of fun running 3x Transport, and just trying to steamroll my opponents, regenerating shields all day long.

I've never done it, but I'm pretty sure a lone Tantive with only 10 points in upgrades is not going to fare well against 100 points of smaller ships anyway. You're more than welcome to try, but you could only get 1 secondary weapon in, so you're getting a max of 2 shots per round.

If you take Quad laser cannons then you can only get 2 shots if there are ships in both range 1-2 and 3-5, if they are only in 1 or the other, you're only getting 1 shot.

If you take Single Turbolasers then you can't shoot them at all if they are in range 1-2.

Sounds like it would be pretty one sided.

Strangely enough, the matches I've played until now (up to 150 points) were ALL won by the rebels. Having the cr90 quite loaded with 2/3 empty supporting ships just ended up being too much for our imperial lists of 5/6 ships. Made me wonder if I mistunderstood the rules, but it doesn't seem like it. However, I see how only 100 points wouldn't be enough for the cr90 to succeed, especially because, due to its limited manuverability, there isn't much strategy involved in its survival. I guess that until you reach a certain amount of points the match just won't be balanced: it's a shame because up until the huge ship every combination of points was perfectly levelled in gameplay.

Little more than a month since I've learned about this game and I already can't wait for the Imperial Raider. It's going to make things quite interesting.

Edit: just so that I have a bigger range of points, what do you think is the minimum for a balanced epic match? How low do you go from 300?

Edited by Zabby