Sign in to follow this  
BaaaaL44

Rules clarification needed :)

Hey!  We just played a game against Nyarli, which we won, but we would like some clarirfication on some rules:

1; If a player gets double vision as the injury card (cannot pick up clue tokens) can he still use the spell "vision quest" to gather clues from the neighborhood? After all, the card states that he can still gain clues "by other means". I would say it is not possible, but I found no reference. 

2; Dark druid movement: It states that after dark druid moves, all monsters move on black after their normal movement. Does this mean that every single monster moves on black on those turns, even if they don't match the symbol on the mythos card, or only those monsters move on black after their normal movement that would have moved due to the mythos card?

3; Does the madness card "Delirium" cause the player to lose a point of sanity every single time if he automatically fails the lore check when Nyarly attacks, (lore not high enough) and spends a clue token as a result?

Congrats on the victory :)

1. Vision quest reads "Cast and exhaust after ending your movement to take all clue tokens that are on the board in your current neighborhood", while Double Vision instructs you cannot pick up clue tokens from the board.

I think this is quite subject to interpretation. True that the clues you'd gain via Vision quest are on the board, so that Double Vision normally would affect those clues, but you gain those by means of a spell, that should not be inhibited by the Injury. So, in the end, I'd rule that yes, you may use the spell to gain those clue tokens since you're not actually "picking them up". But I can see others thinking differently

2. All monsters move, regardless of their normal movement type (hence, treat them as being all black-bordered monsters), as if their movement symbol appeared on the black movement pattern of the Mythos card. Hence you'll have static monsters, Flyers, special movement monsters and so on all moving along the black path (yes, this can be catastrophic)

3. Delirium is triggered during Encounters, and Final Battle is not an Encounter, hence, no

Thanks for the clarification! :) I basically agree with what you said, and that's what we did during the game. However, the dark druid movement still seems a bit wobbly to me. If all monsters have to be treated as if their symbol appeared on the black border of the mythos card, would that not imply that they don't MOVE per se, if they have a special ability? For instance, a cultist appearing on the white area on the same card as the druid would first move on white, then treated as if his symbol had appeared on black, so moved once more, but on black. But a cthonian for instance would never move if it is treated as if its symbol had appeared on black, since it would only do a normal movement round (roll a dice: 4-6 everyone loses stamina) So in my interpretation, normally moving monsters simply move on black after their normal movement (if their symbol did not come up on the mythos card, they simply move on black) and monsters with special movements, and abilities simply do these two consecutive times. I'm not sure though, I've read both of those on the forums :) What do you think?

EDIT: Also, does every single monster move, when the druid moves, regardless of whether his symbol appeared (either on white or black) on the mythos card? This is the unclear bit, as the card says "All other monsters move AFTER THEIR REGULAR MOVEMENT". But if their symbol is not on the card (hence no regular movement) they would not do anything, would they? :)

Edited by BaaaaL44

The Cultist would move on white first (normal monster movement resolution) and then one more on black. If the Chthonian symbol was shown on the Mythos card, would have its special movement triggered by the Mythos card movement pattern and then it would move one space.

If you look at my previous answer, I said one important thing you may have missed: for purposes of resolving the Dark Druid special movement ability, all monsters are considered to be black-bordered monsters. Hence, no fast monsters,no special movement, no nothing.

So, two steps:

a) you resolve the "normal" monster movement: you look at the movement patterns activated by the Mythos card, and you resolve those according to the rules (some monsters will move, some others won't, some will have special movements or abilities triggered - flying, stalker, fast - some others will move normally)

b) you resolve the Dark Druid's special ability: all monsters become black bordered monsters and move one space

Hope this helps

It absolutely helped, thanks a ton :) Actually, this is pretty much how we originally handled it, only then did we start wondering about moving special monsters :) In actual fact, I'm not sure this ability is always bad. For instance, it would be possible for an investigator to return to arkham only to find a monster guarding the gate. As per the rules, in the round he returns, he gets a free pass at closing the gate without having to worry about the monster. However, if he fails to close it, he has to fight the monster next round before trying to close the gate, right? From what I understand, "gate immunity" only lasts for one turn. On the other hand, the rules state that monsters only need to be fought when stopping at, or leaving a location with a monster. Either way, there is a chance that the druid makes the monster leave the gate (even if yellow) so it does not have to be fough.

Yes, the monsters pass lasts for the turn you return to Arkham only. Two points at this regard that are often misplayed:

a) if you're returned to Arkham as result of an OW encounter, and there are monsters on the location, you'll have to deal with them before attempting to close the gate: the pass lasts for the turn you return, regardless of the phase you are returned to Arkham

b) you're allowed to cherry-pick the monsters to fight while enjoying the free pass: this means that if you return during movement, and there's a Lloigor and a Cultist on the gate, you can nuke the Cultist without being forced to deal with the Lloigor

And indeed, sometimes the Dark Druid proves benefical. Some other times it's game over (let's say you have a stack of monsters at Devil Reef: they dive into the vortex, and quite likely the game is over)

1; If a player gets double vision as the injury card (cannot pick up clue tokens) can he still use the spell "vision quest" to gather clues from the neighborhood?

It seems to me that vision quest should be twice as effective :lol: