Sign in to follow this  
eluketron

Obstacles question

I found one post on this issue, but the two response posts were in disagreement.  Anyway, here's my question:

If you land on an obstacle and, on the following turn, your movement template overlaps the obstacle  as you move off of it, do you roll for damage again?  In other words, do you roll for damage as you land and then again as you move off of an obstacle?

Yes - whenever your movement template or the final position of your ship base overlap an obstacle, you roll for damage and skip your perform action step

FTFY.

The initial position of your ship's base does not affect asteroids.

So, if you're overlapping an obstacle but the front of your ship is off of it, and therefore the movement template does NOT overlap the obstacle when placed in between the front pegs, you won't suffer the effects of the obstacle.

Also, "you roll for damage and skip your perform action step" applies to astoeroids only. Debris clouds follow their own rules.

I'm sure Funkleton knows all this, but I wanted it to be 100% clear for other readers!

Edited by Klutz

1. If you land on an obstacle and, on the following turn, your movement template overlaps the obstacle  as you move off of it, do you roll for damage again? 

2. In other words, do you roll for damage as you land and then again as you move off of an obstacle?

There are two questions there and they are different:

1.  Yes.  When the movement template goes over an obstacle it is just like hitting a new one.

2.  Maybe.  You land on an Asteroid and you'll be checking for damage.  When you move off it all depends on if your template overlaps any of the obstacle; if it does see question 1 but if it does not you may get off clear although you could still end up on an asteroid.

If you think you are going to land on an asteroid, and you need to maneuver that way, try and go longer over the asteroid so you can avoid double action denial and damage on yourself.

The better option is to just avoid them altogether. :)

Adding on here instead of starting a new post. When placing obstacles they cannot be within range 1-2 of edge. Thought there was a minimum they had to be from each other but cant find it.

Thought there was a minimum they had to be from each other but cant find it.

It's in the tournament rules. Page 2

An obstacle token cannot be placed at Range 1–2 of any edge of the play area or at Range 1 of another obstacle token.

But I'll admit I was sure that was part of the core rules, but I can't find anywhere in them. So if you weren't playing tournament rules you could stack all 6 of them on top each other I suppose.