Sign in to follow this  
Desslok

You dont know what you have until it's gone!

I can't imagine pairing a random number generator with some sort of musical/sound software would be too terribly high tech. Just assign a tone value to each of the dice symbols, or even emotes, like a big farting noise for a Despair.

Yeah, if you’re in control of all the bits of software, that’s easy enough to do.

The hard part about the random number generator is getting it to properly handle the symbols and cancelling out the things that can be cancelled out.

The hard part about the random number generator is getting it to properly handle the symbols and cancelling out the things that can be cancelled out.

That's not hard at all. It just has to know what cancels what. The dice roller I built does exactly that. It generates a long string from all the dice rolled (each one is it's own random number choice) and then does a reduction on the final string just based on the basic characters (f cancels s, t cancels a).

I can't imagine pairing a random number generator with some sort of musical/sound software would be too terribly high tech. Just assign a tone value to each of the dice symbols, or even emotes, like a big farting noise for a Despair.

I have an older brother. I'm familiar with associating that particular sound with despair...

Edited by PrettyHaley

I think I'm soon to be in this boat.

Three of the players in my game are graduating and going to university and they want to finish their Pathfinder game before they do. That's all but me! One of them, being my boyfriend, really wants me to try it again. And he's off to uni in September and I don't even want to think about it and I can't say no. Ugh. Triple dog ugh.

Yeah... and I bet their GM is soooo happy about all the pre-game prep each week. As a GM I love the lack of prep I need to do... I pencil out the first 30 mins of the next game on a napkin or the back of a cigarette packet with possible threats, advantages etc,., done and wing the rest of the night 2-3 hours max... PFRPG (and HERO Games) would REALLY need to pull something out of the bag for me to go back to the Feat Tax To Do Awesome Cinematic Moves In Combat System.

NAH,,, I'm done with PFRPG for a loooooong while. I went over to Paizo after the MMOTTRPG 4E tripe & 5E from Profitmargin of The Coast trying to get back all the older gamers we lost, I'm pouring my next few monthly wage packets into FFG - I've been a boardgame fan of FFG, especially X-WING & Arkham Horror, for a few years now because 1) It's Star Wars 2) The system is fast and lose and great for more experiences gamers 3) as a Player I GET TO OWN A YT1300 and pretend it's the Falcon!!!.. and 4) It's Star Wars :D

Don't get me wrong PFRPG is a great system IMO.. If I'm going to prep to entertain my buddies I want it to be fun, not a CR, XP & Wealth/Level number crunch - the Adventure Paths are great but if there are no gaming clubs nearby, you can seriously spend £$£$£$£$ for a one shot use :(

the Adventure Paths are great but if there are no gaming clubs nearby, you can seriously spend £$£$£$£$ for a one shot use :(

I've played in a few adventure paths and I can't disagree more with this statement. Too many of them that I was in seemed to like to do the long-ass dungeon crawl with far too many encounters for a party to get through without needing to rest several times to recover HP/Spells/etc...

the Adventure Paths are great but if there are no gaming clubs nearby, you can seriously spend £$£$£$£$ for a one shot use :(

I've played in a few adventure paths and I can't disagree more with this statement. Too many of them that I was in seemed to like to do the long-ass dungeon crawl with far too many encounters for a party to get through without needing to rest several times to recover HP/Spells/etc...

Maybe we're just both done with Fantasy RPGs for a while and need to feed the lasers and spaceship dogfights appetite.

I played in a very good/fun D6 Star Wars game years ago. I'd always say to myself 'I'll get the Core Rules next wage packet' - then real life took over (**** it)... THANK YOU FFG!! Seriously ;)

Our FFG Star Wars group petered out back in December of 2014, and I have been missing it ever since...It was more my fault though, just got really busy with 3 jobs. This past weekend I ran the beginner box adventures for EotE and AoR at PolyCon here in my home town and had a blast. In the EotE adventure, a guy (Greg) who hadn't played an RPG since he was 12 (Almost 30 years ago!) was playing Mathus and we were in the very first encounter with the Gamorreans in the Cantina...He says to me "Are there any droids in the bar, like serving drinks?" I said, "Sure, there's a droid serving drinks, why?" He say's, "Can I try to quickly hack him so he runs over and attacks the Gamorrean's for us?" I said, "Sure, but that will be a daunting check." And I passed him a handful of purple dice. He proceeded to roll 3 success and a triumph with some net advantage! So, I explain how triumph works and ask him what he would like to have happen. He says, "Can I have him run over and attack them with his serving trays?"

I grin and explain: "You reach over the the back of the serving droid as it is walking by, pop open an access panel, switch a few wires, and flip a few switches....all of a sudden, in a menacing tone, the droid shouts across the cantina to Teemo's thugs, 'I'm afraid I am going to have to ask you to leave the premises' then proceeds to rush towards them swinging it's serving trays like hatchets."  "The droid plows into the closest squealing guard and pulps him with the trays, then collapses on top of it, taking it out of action."

Needless to say, I am making calls this week to get a group back together for regular sessions. Greg is totally invited.  :D

Maybe we're just both done with Fantasy RPGs for a while and need to feed the lasers and spaceship dogfights appetite.

I played in a very good/fun D6 Star Wars game years ago. I'd always say to myself 'I'll get the Core Rules next wage packet' - then real life took over (**** it)... THANK YOU FFG!! Seriously ;)

Except that I'm fine with Fantasy. I like Savage Worlds and other systems. I'm tired of the D20 glut and all the crap that comes with that system, regardless of the setting.