Sign in to follow this  
Brino

Are Jawa an attractive race for you?

Hello everyone,

I am quite a a fan of quirky little races, and so I really hope that Jawa will be an upcoming race in the technicians scourcebook.

But What about you? Do you like this little, hooded scavengers and look perhaps even forward for a whole party of Jawas that cruise Tatooine in their sandcrawlers? Or do these geeky pillagers annoy you and you hope to have never one on your ship?

Utinni  :P

My wife would be very sad if we don't see Jawas for this game. For fun, we played a game where she was a Jawa survivalist that used the Corellian Compound bow. It was fun.

They're one of the core signature species in the setting imo.  In October 1977, all the kids were Jawas at Halloween.  The were all the rage in the 70s....

Can confirm. I was THIIIIIIS close to being a Jawa for Halloween in '78 until I got a lightsaber and quickly converted my Jawa Robes into Obi-Wan robes.

They're one of the core signature species in the setting imo.  In October 1977, all the kids were Jawas at Halloween.  The were all the rage in the 70s....

Can confirm. I was THIIIIIIS close to being a Jawa for Halloween in '78 until I got a lightsaber and quickly converted my Jawa Robes into Obi-Wan robes.

Zany Zapper glasses and a brown robe = Instant Jawa costume...

If this rpg is the bright shining centre to the Galaxy, Tatooine is the planet I want it to stay the farthest from.

I am sick of evwrything having Tatooine as a destination. Movies, games, rpg,etc all end up on Tatooine. It is ridiculous. Luke himself, said there was nothing to see there. I agree.

I'm personally indifferent as I'm always a GM and never a player (but I like my players having as many options as possible), but my wife is waiting and hoping for jawas to become official, as that may be the tipping point for her going back to playing a jawa.

I have a feeling if they were to be released, my wife and possibly one other player may jump ship and make new characters.

Not personally--I wouldn't feel bad or be unhappy at all if they included them as a playable species, but I've never felt interested in playing a Jawa or in running a game with Jawa characters. I guess it would depend on the player, but it seems like a bad idea to me. I wouldn't really want a PC Sandperson or Ugnaught, either.

I also would have been reluctant to make the Hutt a playable species too, but again, I've got no problems with them doing it. :)

If this rpg is the bright shining centre to the Galaxy, Tatooine is the planet I want it to stay the farthest from.

I am sick of evwrything having Tatooine as a destination. Movies, games, rpg,etc all end up on Tatooine. It is ridiculous. Luke himself, said there was nothing to see there. I agree.

Lol, no kidding.  That and every criminal being compare to "Jabba the Hutt"...or all Hutts named "XXX the Hutt"...or stormtroopers...or ...

I'd never play a Jawa.  It would be like playing a Kobold or a Rat Swarm.

Then again, maybe it's because I never get to play (always GM) that I've never gotten to play the types of characters I'd really want to play.  Maybe, if I had my fill, I'd consider a Jawa...after a Weequay, Zabrak, Duro, Wookiee, Twi-lek, Bith, Gotal...

I have never started running a new game, nor opened up slots to new players, without at least one player asking if they can play a jawa. Whether it's attractive to me or not as one person, it is certainly attractive to the greater community of players.

We have a Jawa PC in our party, and he's awesome. Always taking things apart, driving hard bargains with NPCs (and often not taking no for an answer), and knows his way around a starship.

I suspect we'll see the Jawa PC species in either the Technician book or a setting book that has Tatooine related things. As much as people may be a bit sick of it, it's certainly considered "iconic."

A young Desslok....

Edited by 2P51

I love 'em. My campaign's first MVP was our Jawa mechanic, Reo Fec the Great. He was the unanimous vote among a field of 12 players in a two-team, single map mission. Not only was he an integral part of his own team, he was able to help the team on the opposite side of the space station by stabilizing life support and hacking into a security turret to join a fight remotely. His RP was awesome, including a near-suicidal detonite rush against the Big Bad at the end. 

I also enjoy adding in Jawa NPCs. In Beyond the Rim, Part III, I made a Jawa concert one of the possible 1d100 rresults for the junk canyon TIE chase scene. A bit silly, sure, but after some doom and gloom missions, I figured the group could use some lighthearted moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHOAOuVd7AU#t=40m30s

Edited by verdantsf

I don't get how you can be a Star Wars fan and downplay the importance of Tatooine like this. Who cares what "Luke himself said"? He was being kept on his uncle's farm almost as a prisoner of sorts. Of course he is going to dislike his station in life. Of course a farmer from Poughkeepsie will tell you New york state isn't "all that". What matters is that he was there. Furthermore Kenobi lived there for decades, it is where Han and Chewie met with Luke and it is where Jabba's palace is. It is where Anakin was born, it is where Anakin met Padme and on and on.

Of course it is used often. It is classic Star Wars.

Nothing to see? I suggest you rewatch a few movies...

Edited by DanteRotterdam