Sign in to follow this  
shlominus

opposed checks and "ignoring setback dice"

disclaimer: i don't have the exact stats of the smuggler's trecnchcoat, i just know what's written in the preview (and my character wants one ^_^ )

so my guy is wearing a smuggler's trenchcoat (more likely a jacket, but that's not relevant, so i won't waste that much space on it. cause that would be dumb.) and is searched. i have a level of street smarts. if the searching npc get's a boost die for any reason, would street smarts allow me to "ignore" one of those?

if you want to sneak past a character with "uncanny senses", his boost dice become your setback dice for the opposed check. but what if it's the other way around?

would anyone rule it like that?

I don't think I'd let the talent remove a boost die from an opposing character. If you really feel that it should come into play you can always "flip" the roll, as in having the PC be the active character and use the NPC's dice pool as the difficulty; in that scenario the boost die would be converted to a setback die and thus eligible for removal.

Letting talents that remove setback dice for the PCs also neutralize boost dice for NPCs could lead to some annoying rules arguments down the road and also make them quite a bit more powerful that I believe is intended.

When rolling, I try and favor the PC as much as I can, figure out a way to make him shine. So if I can figure out how to get a black or two on a roll, I go for it. Let them use their awesome talents to remove dice wherever they can.

So the "do it as an opposed roll" thing works out just nice. That's how I'd go with it.

If you really feel that it should come into play you can always "flip" the roll, as in having the PC be the active character and use the NPC's dice pool as the difficulty; in that scenario the boost die would be converted to a setback die and thus eligible for removal.

yeah, sure, an easy and obvious solution! pfff! :blink:

thanks! :)

Never remove boost die.

That being said, at least one setback die is assigned to my players dice pool 90% of the time. It encourages narrative and makes them annoying enough for players to want talents that remove them.

Opposed rolls I typically use for piloting to determine ship positions and the like..

Edited by Kager

I don't think I'd let the talent remove a boost die from an opposing character. If you really feel that it should come into play you can always "flip" the roll, as in having the PC be the active character and use the NPC's dice pool as the difficulty; in that scenario the boost die would be converted to a setback die and thus eligible for removal.

Letting talents that remove setback dice for the PCs also neutralize boost dice for NPCs could lead to some annoying rules arguments down the road and also make them quite a bit more powerful that I believe is intended.

It is often a good idea to do this. The game is about them so pushing as many rolls as possible to the players is a good idea. 

I always rule that boost die that NPCs have is never canceled. It is a narrative way to show their edge, and most things would not remove it, its a personal thing, even intangible.

Moreover, I do not believe there is a mechanic way, talent or otherwise, that reduces boost die from the opposition.

Moreover, I do not believe there is a mechanic way, talent or otherwise, that reduces boost die from the opposition.

Yeah, not directly. You could possibly do it indirectly through a variety of ways, depending on how they're getting a Boost die in the first place, but there's no direct mechanical effect for it.