Sign in to follow this  
stooster99

The X-Wing is a Fine Ship

The thing about generics is that their entire point and reason for existing is essentially cost effectiveness. The real question then should be: how can we make generics competitively cost effective?

Look at Blue, Gold and Royal Guard pilots.

Look at Bandits and Bananas and Academies.

Look at Alpha interceptors.

Here is where Delta and Rookie fall short.

The thing about generics is that their entire point and reason for existing is essentially cost effectiveness. The real question then should be: how can we make generics competitively cost effective?

Look at Blue, Gold and Royal Guard pilots.

Look at Bandits and Bananas and Academies.

Look at Alpha interceptors.

Here is where Delta and Rookie fall short.

falling short of Alpha interceptors is where you know you've ****** up :P

The Delta's in a better spot than the Rookie, though. The white 4k, barrel-roll, and cannon slot give it jousting-transcending utility that the poor X-wing can only dream of having.

....really fickle?

Come on man, there's only so many facepalm gifs on the internet, you know.  You keep this up, and we're going to have to make a whole lot more.

....really fickle?

Come on man, there's only so many facepalm gifs on the internet, you know.  You keep this up, and we're going to have to make a whole lot more.

We'll have to get help from /b/ and none of us wants that.

oh boy, not this **** again

contribute man, it's not that difficult

For example, in terms of cost efficiency, the alpha is pretty awful. It's why we never see it over the academy, the dial and the extra red die is not worth the 150% boost if you just need things to throw dice at people.

This does not suggest that the Alpha is bad, it just has bad efficiency. The dial and action bar (und thrusters!) are supposed to make up for that.

But if you're an X-wing with no additional benefit outside of your stat-line and you're less efficient than an interceptor, then yeah you ****** up.

Edited by ficklegreendice

Nice to see you have such a healthy respect for people whose opinions differ from your own.

I'm starting to think that if you had your way, every ship in the game would have the Defender's stat line, the Interceptor's action bar and the Aggressor's upgrade options.  And you'd still call the generic pilots inefficient.

Nice to see you have such a healthy respect for people whose opinions differ from your own.

I'm starting to think that if you had your way, every ship in the game would have the Defender's stat line, the Interceptor's action bar and the Aggressor's upgrade options.  And you'd still call the generic pilots inefficient.

wait...a different opinion?

....really fickle?

....where?

All I see here is the disrespect you're accusing me of having

Edited by ficklegreendice

What fickle was trying to say as I understand is basically he was agreeing with my above statement. The alpha interceptor is better efficiency than the x-wing. His debate such as it was I interpret as being that the alpha isn't THAT efficient.

On that I both disagree and disagree at the same time, I find that the lowly alpha CAN be great, but just as easily can be singled out and eradicated. An individual interceptor probably isn't as good as she who must enter every x-wing thread.

Remember too: The interceptor has had not one, but 2 fixes. Most people prefer the Interceptor aces, just like most prefer the x-wing aces. The differences are RGI, PTL (with Sabre and RGP, as well as aces) and Autothrusters. These have not only improved the interceptors survivability and utility but have made the interceptor a ship of it's own, you are not going to see AT on a TIE/LN or bomber. You won't see that many PTLblacks. (will you? I mean i don't)

The X-wing...

What can it do to crawl out of the b-wings shadow.

How can we improve the efficiency of generics? How can we make an x-wing a better choice than 2 Z-95s or maybe a more tactical choice than the heavier B-wing.

Edited by DariusAPB

I'm personally in the "more tactical choice" camp

The B-wing does feel like a better brutish instrument of destruction (heavy gunship, after all) and the Z-95 is already filling the jouster's shoes admirably. After falling in love with the Stress Wing for delivering me from turrets Wave 5, I started to wish the ship had more applications outside of its raw stats.

as for how, there are many different and creative ideas dotting for the forum and I am interested in seeing what FFG will eventually come up with

my caveman-esque solution would just be slap on native boost so I can get some auto-thrusters going :P

The X-wing...

What can it do to crawl out of the b-wings shadow.

How can we improve the efficiency of generics? How can we make an x-wing a better choice than 2 Z-95s or maybe a more tactical choice than the heavier B-wing.

You made some good points, but it's worth repeating that the X isn't just inferior compared to the B-Wing. It was (slightly) overpriced from day one. Rebel pilots took it because they had no other choice, not because it was points efficient. Making it point efficient WOULD help it step out of the shadow of the B, but the distinction still matters. Dropping the price by a few points would make it more playable, as would buffing other stats or upgrades.

That said, my preferred "fix" would be PS1-4 named pilots with built in cost reductions and nice powers. Generic pilots are ok, but the fun of the X for me are all of the named guys and gals.

Oh, that wasn't disrespect.  It was merely an observation.

Here's another one:  I get it, ficklegreendice, I really do.  It's all in our username, after all.  You're clearly just not all that good at the game.

That's why you blame the dice.  That's why you hang on MathWing - in the desperate hope you can get some (any) kind of competitive edge, even if it must be at the expense of enjoyment and diversity.  That's why you netlist, and that's why you constantly bleat on about fixing things which really aren't broken in the first place.

It's OK though.  If that's the way you prefer to play a game, that's fine.

I guess I'll have to post reaction gifs snark like a total edgelord.

...and that goes double for you, kiddo.

Is this... are you a joke? I mean, kudos for pulling off the 'Condescending internet prat who pretends his thinly veiled insults are actually just truthful observations' better than I've ever seen it done.

You're clearly just not all that good at the game.

Oh... You're serious aren't you?

FTS, thank you for such valuable input. I realize that you don't have a lot of time to share with us plebes, what with winning all those national tournaments with your superior skills and intellect. But we certainly appreciate all the innovative and original lists that have completely changed our fundamental understanding of the game. Without your brilliance, I would have blindly followed the opinions of my peers, the results of tournaments, and my own experience in playing the game. But now I realize that all is wrong and apologize for ever doubting your excellence. 

Oh wait. What's that? You haven't done anything remotely approaching that level of success? You haven't shown us something new or even a basic understanding of the existing discussions? Then why in the 'verse would you behave so horribly? Fickle offered examples and wants to enter into a discussion. If you don't want to do so, leave off. Others can talk about these problems. If you don't think they exist, don't attack. Just leave well enough alone.

Here's another one:  I get it, ficklegreendice, I really do.  It's all in our username, after all.  You're clearly just not all that good at the game.

That's why you blame the dice.  That's why you hang on MathWing - in the desperate hope you can get some (any) kind of competitive edge, even if it must be at the expense of enjoyment and diversity.  That's why you netlist, and that's why you constantly bleat on about fixing things which really aren't broken in the first place.

It's OK though.  If that's the way you prefer to play a game, that's fine.

I guess I'll have to post reaction gifs snark like a total edgelord.

...and that goes double for you, kiddo.

The hurt is strong with this one.

Thank God we have you here to explain to all of us how a card that came out in the Core Set works.

It makes so much more sense to make conclusions about a ship based on a single day of play rather than years of tournament data from List Juggler.

Now if only people would make multiple threads like this every week!

Careful what you wish for. Some don't understand sarcasm and you just might get what you don't want.