Sign in to follow this  
stooster99

The X-Wing is a Fine Ship

So, lately I know there's been a lot of complaining about the x-wing and how it needs a fix. While I can sort of understand this, I disagree with this for several reasons:

1. Several of the named pilots are very good, and leave for numerous synergistic opportunities.

-Today I flew an extremely successful squad with two X-wings and a B-Wing. The B-Wing was a generic PS 2 sporting Jan Ors, Deadeye and two pairs of Adv. Proton Torpedoes ( a lot of points for just one ship, eh?). Second I had Biggs Darklighter with R2-F2 and Garven Dreis with Proton Torpedoes. So the basic idea (The list still needs a lot of work) is that Garven can either give his focus to Biggs, which Jan Ors can convert to an evade, or Garven can hand off his focus to The B-Wing so that it can unleash its payload (using a focus instead of a TL) and make use of the three blank results flipping to focus, ensuring AT LEAST 3 damage when The B-Wing sits at Range 1! 

In addition, enemies are forced to shoot at Biggs, who can use R2-F2 and do some hiding behind asteroids to boost his agility way up. But because of the X-Wing's strong primary weapon, Biggs can also get lots of shots in on the enemy, even as he dodges their attacks with R2-F2 and focus/evades from Garvin/Jan Ors.

2. I cannot reiterate this enough: BIGGS IS SOOO USEFUL! Boost his agility and he can really help make an annoying squad to face.

So, in short, the X-Wing may not seem like much but due to its well-rounded stats and great unique pilots (Don't forget Wedge :-)), the X-Wing will always have a place in my lists.

Thank God we have you here to explain to all of us how a card that came out in the Core Set works.

It makes so much more sense to make conclusions about a ship based on a single day of play rather than years of tournament data from List Juggler.

Now if only people would make multiple threads like this every week!

2. I cannot reiterate this enough: BIGGS IS SOOO USEFUL! Boost his agility and he can really help make an annoying squad to face.

I'll agree to an X-wing buff if the X-wing apologists will agree to a Biggs nerf.

Ahhh I see now. I've been doing it all wrong! The answer was R2-F2 THE WHOLE TIME!

No one will be able to stop me once I figure out how to fit those 3 points into one of my X-wing lists.

Nobody.

well technically, you're correct!

Nobody, not any one person, can defeat R2-F2. They're absolutely powerless to affect it :)

Edited by ficklegreendice

At least the Defender doesn't have a bigger, badder brother sitting on its chest (B Wing) and has unique characteristics, so arguing that it's good is an interesting thing that can actually be argued.

Moral of the X Wing story is Biggs is great, named pilots are pretty solid but could use some help, never take generics, B Wings are just better. It doesn't even have a white K turn to argue about...

Weeeee!!!!!

X-WING: · Biggs Darklighter (25)

· R2-F2 (3)

· Experimental Interface (3)

X-WING: · Garven Dreis (26)

B-WING: Blue Squadron Pilot (22)

Z-95 HEADHUNTER: · Airen Cracken (19)

Swarm Tactics (2)

With R2-

Ahhh I see now. I've been doing it all wrong! The answer was R2-F2 THE WHOLE TIME!

No one will be able to stop me once I figure out how to fit those 3 points into one of my X-wing lists.

Nobody.

well technically, you're correct!

Nobody, not any one person, can defeat R2-F2. They're absolutely powerless to affect it :)

My X-wings will soon become the ultimate power in the Universe!

Anyone else wanna take this? Even I'm getting fed up of 'just because everything disagrees with me, doesn't mean I'm wrong' threads.

Well if it's an opinion then it can't really be wrong, you can have two different opinions about something and have both of them be right from a given point of view.

At least the Defender doesn't have a bigger, badder brother sitting on its chest (B Wing) and has unique characteristics, so arguing that it's good is an interesting thing that can actually be argued.

Moral of the X Wing story is Biggs is great, named pilots are pretty solid but could use some help, never take generics, B Wings are just better. It doesn't even have a white K turn to argue about...

Would giving the X-wing a white k-turn fix it? Its supposed to be the best Rebel jouster, right?

Would giving the X-wing a white k-turn fix it? Its supposed to be the best Rebel jouster, right?

nope, it'd just make the defender very sad

X-Wings are great when flown with little to no mistakes and when you're using the good named pilots (Biggs, Wes, etc).

Unfortunately, they fall over in the meta when you realise how many points you have to spend on top of the already high cost just to make it survivable. R2-F2 and R2-D2 do make the X-Wing way more survivable, but they're 3 and 4 points respectively.

Even the named pilots that are worth taking (apart from Biggs who, let's be honest, is just a 25 point shield upgrade for something else) are far too expensive. Wes + Veteran Instincts + R3-A2 is great for setting up Opportunist shots and stressing ships, but that puts him at 32 points, which means you'll never take him unless he's the crux of your whole strategy, and if that's the case, he's not maneuverable or survivable enough not to be eaten by arc-dodgers for breakfast.

In my opinion, the X-Wing desperately needs a Chardaan Refit style card that just blanket makes it cheaper. Hopefully as a title, but you could sacrifice the torpedo and mod slots without too much trouble.

Thank God we have you here to explain to all of us how a card that came out in the Core Set works.

It makes so much more sense to make conclusions about a ship based on a single day of play rather than years of tournament data from List Juggler.

Now if only people would make multiple threads like this every week!

So what are you drawing from that data on List Juggler? I know it's an evolving process, but I don't see anything really useful quite yet.

The site only has events since last Nov. not a number of years. A large portion have missing lists, some no lists at all. There's very little actual statistical info on the site, just data.

Sorry man, I guess I tire of people propping up beliefs with bad statistics just as much that do from a single day of play.

Weeeee!!!!!

X-WING: · Biggs Darklighter (25)

· R2-F2 (3)

· Experimental Interface (3)

X-WING: · Garven Dreis (26)

B-WING: Blue Squadron Pilot (22)

Z-95 HEADHUNTER: · Airen Cracken (19)

Swarm Tactics (2)

Why not swap that cracken and b wing for the clearly superior rookie pilot. One time my buddy landed a phantom on a rock and then my rookie did hit hit crit and he blanked so the x wing is better than the phantom and is a great ship and I like it so it has to be fine and not need any help

/end troll

Sorry man, I guess I tire of people propping up beliefs with bad statistics just as much that do from a single day of play.

It's not just from List Juggler, it's also from his Jousting Efficiency thread. Rather than bash the math, how about you actually visit the thread and start a discussion? Or talk to him about it? The X-Wing is overcosted, and the math says it just could really use a free hull upgrade to be good.

It's not just from List Juggler, it's also from his Jousting Efficiency thread. Rather than bash the math, how about you actually visit the thread and start a discussion? Or talk to him about it? The X-Wing is overcosted, and the math says it just could really use a free hull upgrade to be good.

I have and I've gone around in circles with MJ on it. His math is fine but his inferences can at times be flawed.  The statistical analysis of tournament data has been misleading and actually has very little to do with actual statistics.  I guess what bothers me the most is how people are drawing religious conclusions from it and forcing it onto others like it is the gospel.

With just straight Attack/Defense values a X-wing is weaker than a B-wing, but there's more to a ship than that. I still say the X-wing could use a little help, I won't deny that, but the difference is much smaller than the loud voices on this forum like to proclaim.

Edited by Gather

Back at the very start of the game, where you had to guess where your opponent was going to move (and barrel roll didn't really factor into things as most TIEs were low PS) then X-Wings were great!

As soon as Boost and Engine upgrade turned the game into one where high PS+ EU+ BR = Gross advantage and less need to think about your move (and no chance to out think a higher PS), then X-Wings drifted into less appealing territory. :(

for me, it happened a bit later

specifically: wave 5 (not counting the stress wing; **** things ate phantoms before we've even dreamed of an errata :D)

nowadays, I look across the table and see one of four things

Yt-1300

Decimator

Yt-2400 w/HLC

Aggressor  w/HLC

Now, if you're an x-wing pilot against one of those, your first course of action should be to pop open the cockpit and hope your exposure to the vacuum of space unlocks some long dormant human potential and triggers a spontaneuous leap in evolution that allows to ascend into near-godhod

you do this because, unless you're Tarn motherloving liam Mison, it's the best chance you have of surviving against those things

Edited by ficklegreendice