Sign in to follow this  
jonboyjon1990

'Does the forthcoming Stormtrooper expansion lead the way for other 'Core Set' packs?

So that's:

- Royal Guards

- Probe Droid

- Imperial Officer

- Trandoshans

- Gunner

What do you guys think? Are these coming as expansion packs? Maybe they've been left late, in order to create buzz around new figures and expansions - as we've already seen - and to avoid 'expansion rage' - with FFG announcing more of what's in the core set.

I hope not! 

I'd rather see new content brought to the game. Yes I am aware that they will include new missions and command cards, but I'd still rather see new units in the game instead.

I agree, but I expect it does mean that they will eventually have all the core set models released individually, aside from the unique heroes.

I'm still baffled why they're releasing a stormtrooper pack. The heavy stormtroopers I get, but the regular guys didn't need to be "updated" in my opinion.

I think it would end up costing a couple dollars more than a second core to buy the equivalent number of those figure as individual packs, and you wouldn't get any of the dice, tokens & tiles the core includes. It would be worth it if you only wanted a couple sets though. Still I think I'd rather see new expansions, like Leia & Lando.

E-web maybe if they did a Snowtrooper manning it.

Officer maybe as a unique named one but probably not otherwise.

RG & Probe Droids probably not as they really didn't do anything that would have stood out as an "action pose".

Trandoshans probably not. I actually avoided painting any up like Boskk as I find it likely that sooner or later they'll release him considering IG-88 & Fett are out.

Really not sure why they did the Stormtroopers other than for adding missions/skirmish cards. I suppose an argument for variety could be made as you get 9 identical ones.

Doesnt adding a stormtrooper ally pack give the empire player some sort of ability (as an unlockable reward) for up to 2 elite and up to 3 regular troopers as open groups, as opposed to 1 elite and 2 regular in the core set?

Edited by Fizz

E-web maybe if they did a Snowtrooper manning it.

Officer maybe as a unique named one but probably not otherwise.

Why are people so obsessed with Snowtroopers? They are just stormtroopers wearing a different suit and with training for cold environments.

And a unique named officer wouldn't be an 'Imperial Officer' anymore, it'd just be another villian.

Why are people so obsessed with Snowtroopers? They are just stormtroopers wearing a different suit and with training for cold environments

I imagine it's because they were in a movie, people hold Scout Troopers in a similar regard. I imagine that if ESB had Fire Troopers or Water Troopers people would have the same obsession level.

I both hope and expect to see more Core Villain packs. And don't forget the Nexu!

I think the Stormtrooper pack sets a strong precedent for all of the Core non-uniques. If they'd announced a pack for E-webs or Guards or Nexu first the OP question would still be up in the air. Because you can't get enough of those even with two Cores so Villain packs for those were expected, but because they opened with an "unnecessary" Stormtrooper pack it's quite clear to me that we'll see packs for ALL of them in time.

Lets not forget that you can run up to 4 of any given unit in Skirmish - but at the minute the only way to do so is to buy a 2nd core set - which seems less than ideal

But if FFG sold all those Imperial & Merc figures in their own packs, you'd end up paying a little over 25% more than a second core to get an equivalent number of them. It's kind of the same thing as with x-wing, where 2 cores is the best deal.

Lets not forget that you can run up to 4 of any given unit in Skirmish - but at the minute the only way to do so is to buy a 2nd core set - which seems less than ideal

But if FFG sold all those Imperial & Merc figures in their own packs, you'd end up paying a little over 25% more than a second core to get an equivalent number of them. It's kind of the same thing as with x-wing, where 2 cores is the best deal.

yes but the option to buy things separately is always nice.  i could really love another imperial officer and maybe one more set of royal guards.  i don't have much interested in anything more from the core

and with both of these it would likely end up being about $25 for both sets.  i can swallow that a lot better than another $100+ for a bunch of repeat figures i don't want more of

Agreed on the cost, but for the skirmish player in particular, having new command cards would be the reason to pick these items up, especially if they contain commands that can really upgrade your command deck.

For the campaign player, it's more of a nice to have for the new agenda cards and new map, but not as important compared with the skirmish player.

Agreed on the cost, but for the skirmish player in particular, having new command cards would be the reason to pick these items up, especially if they contain commands that can really upgrade your command deck.

For the campaign player, it's more of a nice to have for the new agenda cards and new map, but not as important compared with the skirmish player.

Exactly.

More expansions = more choice as a consumer.

Also means more cards.

I both hope and expect to see more Core Villain packs. And don't forget the Nexu!

I think the Stormtrooper pack sets a strong precedent for all of the Core non-uniques. If they'd announced a pack for E-webs or Guards or Nexu first the OP question would still be up in the air. Because you can't get enough of those even with two Cores so Villain packs for those were expected, but because they opened with an "unnecessary" Stormtrooper pack it's quite clear to me that we'll see packs for ALL of them in time.

A cool idea for a reprint of the Nexu is like an "Arena" pack or creature pack. Arena pack would have the reek and acklay.

A creature pack may include things like the rancor or krayt dragon

Why are people so obsessed with Snowtroopers? They are just stormtroopers wearing a different suit and with training for cold environments.

Maybe since the snowtroopers were the only ones to win an actual battle in any of the movies?

As for the new packs, I hope they do more new stuff and not more of the same old figures. I know some like army builders, but there are only so many base storm troopers of others that you can play at once.

Edited by Squid89

Maybe since the snowtroopers were the only ones to win an actual battle in any of the movies?

As for the new packs, I hope they do more new stuff and not more of the same old figures. I know some like army builders, but there are only so many base storm troopers of others that you can play at once.

And there are the Clone Wars-era "Galactic Marines" who wear armor similar to the "cold assault stormtrooper" armor in all environments. So under the guise of being the Stormtrooper legion to succeed the Clone legion of the same name, it would be nice to have stormtroopers in that sort of armor. 

But then I've always been fond of snowtroopers - the white armor actually makes a lot of sense in that environment, and their armor has the pseudo-trenchcoat skirt - and the name of the Clone legion to wear similar armor, "Galactic Marines".... Yeah, I'm a fan. 

I agree we will see them all down the road if only to allow army builders to do so.  Each pack also can expand the game with new items, skirmish cards, class cards- you name it.  SO there is a strong reason to release all the cores as expansions.  It's also good filler expansion as it's much cheaper to repackage an E-Web engineer with some new printed cards than it is to sculpt, mold, and cast a SNowtrooper with E-Web.

I am thoroughly convinced that the reason they released the stormtroopers as a solo pack is because they realized the person/group that designed the models of the originals did a crap job. The new models have the same form (new vs old: straight armor on arms vs bubbled, shallow/wider vs deep/narrow armor gaps, uniform armor vs non-armor locations around the arms vs vanishing lines, sole/boot separation vs no sole/boot separation) as the heavy trooper and Kane Somos which were much better designed models than the originals.

The originals were a pain to paint but the difference between the two may not be as noticeable to people who didn't paint them.