Sign in to follow this  
Hexdot

Enhanced... Asteroids!!!!

Quite simple. End phase, randomly select one asteroid. Roll a D12 , an Warhammer artillery dice, or turn a bottle, as you wish.

The randomly selected asteroid moves in that direction a 3 straight. If it moves over a ship, roll 1 Red for damage. No evade. If you like it, perhaps rwo dice

It is pure fun !

Edited by Hexdot

we've wanted to mess about with moving asteroids for a long time and thought that 1 range or 1 move were the choice of distances to go for.

The main problem (and the reason you can never have this in a competetive play environment) is that the templates are massively irregular so you could position them from one point thats at '12 oclock' and move them and miss someone, move it from another point also technicaly which could be seen as 12'oclock and smash.

You'd probably be better using a white ink pen to put hit, crit and focus markets on equidistant points on the template.

Roll a red die, if you get that symbol is moves 1 from that exact point in the direction of that point.

No need for any extra dice then.

I do a lot of house rules/campaigns etc for xwing and try and make everything use just the red and green dice,

Me too

Most the games i write use variable dice from d4 to d100, i grew up playing chaosium RPGS!

But the thing with xwing is, like warhammer with its 'only d6' mechanic, it relies on a trade mark dice system.

Anything i personally write for xwing uses the variables you get off the faces on the red and green dice as *everyone* will have them to hand.  Start bunging in d10s, d8s etc etc then people have to buy new dice or start fishing around the house for that scatter dice in an old warhamer set.

Sure you dont get the predicable bell curves you get with things like 2d6 and there average of 7 or 3d6 giving you around 11 etc so you have to really think about the 'vlaues' of the faces but have a look at my campaign rules to see how you can use the core set box to get a good spread of 'randomness' via seemingly limited D8s

My last game, we did something similar on a whim.

Pick one of the non-player table edges as the origin of the asteroids, and divide it into 4 equal sections.  Assign a red die result to each section, so one would be blank, one is focus, third is hit and fourth is critical.  At the beginning of each turn, one player would roll a red die and place an asteroid token of their choice anywhere within the section indicated by the result of the red die and touching the table edge.  They would then roll the red die again.  If a focus was rolled, the asteroid performed a straight speed 1 maneuver directly toward the opposite edge of the table.  If a hit was rolled, it was speed 2, and if a critical was rolled, it was speed 3.  Blanks were rerolled.  At the beginning of each turn after that, any asteroids on the board were again moved at the same speed straight ahead and the another was placed as above.  We marked the speed using ship ID tokens so we wouldn't forget.

If any asteroid token or the maneuver template overlapped a ship, treat it as if the ship had overlapped the asteroid as normal.

It was a whole lot of fun and added a totally new dimension to the game.  Not only did you have to plan your maneuvers to account for the other ships and asteroids as normal, you also had to plan for where the asteroids were going to be at the beginning of the next turn, since they moved before ships.  On top of that, the asteroids could almost be used as weapons, particularly if ships were near the edge they came in on.  If you rolled for the asteroids well, you could send a rock hurtling into an enemy ship!  We'll be doing this again for sure.

I do like the idea of adding moving asteroids to the game. But we came up with an "Asteroid Belt" scenario.

If you have them, use 12 asteroid/debris pieces. Start with 10 on the board, 2 on standby to enter the field. Set them up with standard rules except for the side boundaries. You'll want them to be closer to the sides so they can run off. The player with initiative then sets the field rotation.

After each End Phase, ALL obstacles are moved in the direction of the field rotation. (We had big pieces move 1, small pieces move 2). Each obstacle can be moved at a slight angle (no more than 30 degrees) and can be rotated at the end of the move, but they all had to move with the flow of the asteroid field. Each player takes turns moving each asteroid according to initiative.

The asteroid/debris moves with the same overlapping rules as ships. If it can't clear the ship or other asteroid, it bumps into it and stops movement. No damage is rolled for any ship affected this way. If the piece can clear the ship, it moves through and that ship rolls a die for damage. We decided to make debris NOT cause stress when it passes over you, but you still have to roll for damage.

When any asteroid/debris leaves play, another one is immediately added to the opposite edge of the board. 

We have not tested this, but we agreed that it would make for a pretty intense match.

My group plays this quite often.  We assign a rolled D6 to each asteroid this is its PS and signifies when it moves.  Then during activation it moves in a random direction (Warhammer dice) for a 1 move template distance.  If a 'hit' is rolled it moves 2 in the direction indicated.  Good fun.  If the asteroid moves off the table it comes back on the opposite table edge.  We assume that in scenario terms the asteroids aren't the same ones but simulate 3D movement in the 2D plane, if that make sense.

This had lead to some annoying game changing incidents with 3 asteroids closing in and taking out a damaged Falcon in 1 round (how I laughed) to another asteroid finishing off my Fel just after I perfectly positioned him to hide from all incoming fire (I nearly cried).

Quite simple. End phase, randomly select one asteroid. Roll a D12 , an Warhammer artillery dice, or turn a bottle, as you wish.

The randomly selected asteroid moves in that direction a 3 straight. If it moves over a ship, roll 1 Red for damage. No evade. If you like it, perhaps rwo dice

It is pure fun !

I had been meaning to introduce this variant to the weekly drop in. I dig it.

Don't bring the real world into this. In reality, asteroids are usually millions of miles apart. Watch Empire Strikes Back. The asteroids move haphazardly. They change directions. :)

One way my group has added mobility to asteroids is this:

At the end of the first Planning phase, the player with initiative rolls a die to determine which obstacle moves (use ID markers on obstacles if necessary). The player places a 1-straight maneuver template anywhere in contact with the edge of the obstacle, then places the obstacle anywhere else along the edge of the template. The obstacle can be flipped over if desired, but can't overlap another obstacle or ship.

Each round, alternate which player gets to select and move an obstacle.

Edited by DagobahDave