Sign in to follow this  
TheRealStarkiller

The Real X-Wing edge

The X wing is fine. It's just a touch too expensive. It's boring, but giving it a 2 point price reduction ala Chardaan Refit makes it exactly as expensive as it should be, applies to all X Wing ships and pilots, doesn't rely on astromechs or other slots or upgrades, and is balanced across the entire spectrum of ships and upgrades.

What's nice about a points reduction is that it would put the X midway between the cheaper A and Z which it really only adds +1 hull and red dice to, stats wise, and the B which currently offers a lot more than the X overall. It would be your mid point ship. Faster with a better dial than the B but with less 'tricks' and tougher and more shooty than the A or Z but without the As speed or the Zs cheapness.

Don't think FFG will do this outright, but there's sense to have the differentiation.

Title:

S-Foil Expert

X-Wing only.

Your action bar gains the SLAM action.

1 Point

ah .... no

The SLAM is not just about a mechanical device ... like flaps or S-foils

It is a sublight hyberdrive.

What is the most common representation of what happens when an X-Wing closes its S-Foils?

I'll give you a hint:

You mean closing S-foils is just like closing the doors while driving in your car on a highway and this gives you the boost to travel twice as fast? Now I got it.

Free boost, buffed agility for one turn...

Where have i seen this... Ah yeah that's my proposition for S-Foils!!!

There won't be 5 X-Wings in a 100 point game.

If they were priced appropriately, there would be. An XXXXX list is hardly game-breaking when we've already got BBBBZ lists.

And you want to have XXXXX lists, that would outmatch the BBBBZ?

They would not outmatch them. The B Wing is more expensive, because it is a better ship. 4BZ is an even match for 5X.

... while you cannot attack in this round?

Do you think that is what the X-Wing needs?

While you lose 1 firepower this round! Probably taking into account the small time we are boosting!

The X-Wing at 19 points would be costed correctly, enabling 5 Rookies with R2. That would be a very respectable list but in no way overpowered or better than most other swarms really.

I think they will not do this, and rather go a similar way to the Advanced by buffing it without reducing the base cost, but i would not mind it and it would be something they could have done right from the beginning.

The X-Wing at 19 points would be costed correctly, enabling 5 Rookies with R2. That would be a very respectable list but in no way overpowered or better than most other swarms really.

I think they will not do this, and rather go a similar way to the Advanced by buffing it without reducing the base cost, but i would not mind it and it would be something they could have done right from the beginning.

8 Ties hould have a very hard time against 5X + R1. A VERY hard time.

This won't happen anyways.

If they choose (or you manage to force them) to joust with it maybe.  But 8 TIEs has (in my experience) a hard time against BBBBZ if they try to joust with that too.  Not sure what you are trying to say here.  Are you saying BBBBZ is too powerful too?  Should we ban BBBBZ because one list has a hard time against it?

8 TIEs is one list out of a lot of different lists.  Its still good and hasnt really left.  But it has weaknesses, same as every list.

New X Wing Mod:

S Foils.

Action:  At the beginning of the activation phase you may choose to activate this ability to flap your S foils very fast.

Your spaceship will look silly.

:P

Well if we're going to take this seriously :D

S-foils

Modification - 0pts

At the start of the combat phase discard this card and say "Lock S-foils in attack position".

If they choose (or you manage to force them) to joust with it maybe.  But 8 TIEs has (in my experience) a hard time against BBBBZ if they try to joust with that too.  Not sure what you are trying to say here.  Are you saying BBBBZ is too powerful too?  Should we ban BBBBZ because one list has a hard time against it?

8 TIEs is one list out of a lot of different lists.  Its still good and hasnt really left.  But it has weaknesses, same as every list.

This one Z in BBBBZ dont bother me much.

I am just saying AGAIN that there will be no 5X. And I'm glad about it.

What would be next? A refit for Tie Fighters to pack 10 of them in a 100 point list? No.

I am just saying AGAIN that there will be no 5X. And I'm glad about it.

Why be glad about it? X's are overcosted.

What would be next? A refit for Tie Fighters to pack 10 of them in a 100 point list? No.

If TIEs were too expensive, then a refit would be in order for them too. But they're not. X Wings, however, ARE too expensive and SHOULD be refitted and having five of them at 100 points would not be bad for the game.

Title:

S-Foil Expert

X-Wing only.

1 Point

ah .... no

What is the most common representation of what happens when an X-Wing closes its S-Foils?

I'll give you a hint:

You mean closing S-foils is just like closing the doors while driving in your car on a highway and this gives you the boost to travel twice as fast? Now I got it.

It was a suggestion that uses an existing mechanic to address one of the X-Wing's shortcomings (lack of post-maneuver movement) in a thematic way.  Instead of attacking it as silly, perhaps you could address the game balance question of how the SLAM action would affect the ship.

As far as in-universe rationalization, closing the S-Foils doesn't magically make the X-Wing go faster.  With the s-foils closed, power can be redirected from the non-functional weapons to the engines, allowing for a quick burst of speed.  If that explanation sounds familiar, you may have read this Wookieepedia entry:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/SubLight_Acceleration_Motor

The SubLight Acceleration Motor, abbreviated to SLAM, was an overdrive system that allowed the Missile Boat to double its sublight speed.

By drawing energy from the missile boat's laser cannon reserves, SLAM provided a burst of acceleration from the ion engines to enhance the Missile Boat's combat capabilities.

If you don't like referencing closing the S-Foils, you could always call it SLAM Retrofit.

The reason I hate 'opening and closing' S-Foils so much is precisely because it ISN'T thematic at all.

'Lock S-Foils in Attack Position' - Garven Dreis, prior to the Battle of Yavin.

'Lock S-Foils in Attack Positions' - Wedge Antillies, prior to the Battle of Endor.

Whenever we see anything with S-foils Opening or Closing their S-Foils, it's done WAAAAAY before the craft are in combat. And once they're in combat, those S-Foils stay open.

I guess that's what 'Locking' them means.

Title:

S-Foil Expert

X-Wing only.

1 Point

ah .... no

I'll give you a hint:

It was a suggestion that uses an existing mechanic to address one of the X-Wing's shortcomings (lack of post-maneuver movement) in a thematic way.  Instead of attacking it as silly, perhaps you could address the game balance question of how the SLAM action would affect the ship.

As far as in-universe rationalization, closing the S-Foils doesn't magically make the X-Wing go faster.  With the s-foils closed, power can be redirected from the non-functional weapons to the engines, allowing for a quick burst of speed.  If that explanation sounds familiar, you may have read this Wookieepedia entry:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/SubLight_Acceleration_Motor

The SubLight Acceleration Motor, abbreviated to SLAM, was an overdrive system that allowed the Missile Boat to double its sublight speed.

By drawing energy from the missile boat's laser cannon reserves, SLAM provided a burst of acceleration from the ion engines to enhance the Missile Boat's combat capabilities.

If you don't like referencing closing the S-Foils, you could always call it SLAM Retrofit.

No, no and no.

When we are at computergames: (Tie Fighter, X-Wing, ....)

Every single craft could divert power from weapons and shields (shilded crafts only) to engines to travel faster. Even Tie Fighters ... and X-Wings, too of course. But this had nothing to do with the S-foils positition.

The SLAM was an important tactical device for the Missile Gunboat to gain distance to enemy ships, to  get the time to get ships locked on and fire missiles. No other ship could catch you whil SLAM was engaged. Not even A-Wings. This has nothing to with normal maneuvers.

There is no way and no reason why X-Wings should get access to SLAM nor to a similar effect.

The reason I hate 'opening and closing' S-Foils so much is precisely because it ISN'T thematic at all.

'Lock S-Foils in Attack Position' - Garven Dreis, prior to the Battle of Yavin.

'Lock S-Foils in Attack Positions' - Wedge Antillies, prior to the Battle of Endor.

Whenever we see anything with S-foils Opening or Closing their S-Foils, it's done WAAAAAY before the craft are in combat. And once they're in combat, those S-Foils stay open.

I guess that's what 'Locking' them means.

Opened its the 'Attack Position'. We don't even know how the closed position is called. I bet its the 'Landing Position'.

... or 'Out-of-combat-Position'

Edited by TheRealStarkiller