Sign in to follow this  
TheRealStarkiller

The Real X-Wing edge

Drop the cheaper astromech upgrade and the rest looks good.  I definitely see some great synergy possibilities with these upgrades such as R2-R2 and any off the modifications that call for a barrel roll.   Makes for a stronger X-wing but at a cost that would make a player spend the rest of their points wisely.

Yes the S-foils ....

I'm not sure about it. Don't there are just there to enable a 'landing form' - just like the shuttle?

Remember: B-Wings have S-fould, too.

Why should X-Wings' S-fould should have game relevant functionality and B-Wings don't? And what about the shuttle?

In the end the position of the s-fould do not change anything in space. Its just about the distibution of the laser cannons.

Maybe closed S-foils would give a better handling while taking off from planets with an athmosphere.

The IG-2000 as well as the StarVipers have something similar - but those are equipped with maneuvering thrusters - hence they both have the S-Loop!

So ... best forget about the S-foils.

I think you discard them for the wrong reasons...

If they don't make sense gameplay or balancing wise then i can accept that.

But to discard them for the function they may or may not have fluffwise, i think this is just speculation and not a real reason not to have such a card.

Also we are in SciFi, there is no actual reason why a Tie Fighter should be faster or turn tighter than an X-Wing or vice versa. Hell there is not even a reason why they should not all fly cubic or cylindrical ships except that they would not look any good... (Sound like Hounds Tooth to me XD)

If we consider atmospherical craft as a reference, or rather by sheer intuition the S-Foils could boost agility or speed in closed position, and firepower in open position. Or like you say just enable a landing position.

The reason i proposed them is because they are a well-known feature of the X-Wing and also the B-Wing that is not represented in the game, and could wellserve as a way to fix the ship's balancing issues.

And if we give the X-Wing a discount on it it would also be interesting for that ship while the B-Wing could take it, but would not do it for costing reasons...

Edited by ForceM

Yes the S-foils ....

I'm not sure about it. Don't there are just there to enable a 'landing form' - just like the shuttle?

Remember: B-Wings have S-fould, too. 

Why should X-Wings' S-fould should have game relevant functionality and B-Wings don't? And what about the shuttle?

In the end the position of the s-fould do not change anything in space. Its just about the distibution of the laser cannons.

Maybe closed S-foils would give a better handling while taking off from planets with an athmosphere.

The IG-2000 as well as the StarVipers have something similar - but those are equipped with maneuvering thrusters - hence they both have the S-Loop!

So ... best forget about the S-foils.

The S-Foils open for better heat dissipation and shot coverage, so giving them a free boost at the cost of swapping the att def values(not really a "cost" per se) works.

This leads to the question:

Are the s-foils in attack position or in landing position for the current stats?

I would say, they are in attack position already.

And if you close them, you may land on an astroid and stay there until the fight is over.

Now this would be an awesome fix for X-Wings :lol:

Love the Wraith  idea!  Totally thematic.

I also like the concentrated fire idea.  It is very thematic with the Rogues' tactics.  Another theme with them is most enemy ships run at the sight of them so here is my Title Idea.

*Rogue Leader

Title, X-Wing only

After you perform an attack, reduce the defender's agility by 2 for the rest of this game round.

When you aquire a Target Lock, assign one stress token to the targeted ship.

Cannot equip if PS is 7 or less.

2pts

Rogue Squadron

Title, X-Wing Only

0pts

By assigning a stress during the activation phase, none of your opponents would ever want to take a red move, and even taking a white would be risky since they could lose their action.  That would even the playing field with those ships that can boost and barrel roll while the X's can't.

Love the Wraith  idea!  Totally thematic.

I also like the concentrated fire idea.  It is very thematic with the Rogues' tactics.  Another theme with them is most enemy ships run at the sight of them so here is my Title Idea.

*Rogue Leader

Title, X-Wing only

After you perform an attack, reduce the defender's agility by 2 for the rest of this game round.

Cannot equip if PS is 7 or less.

2pts

Rogue Squadron

Title, X-Wing Only

0pts

By assigning a stress during the activation phase, none of your opponents would ever want to take a red move, and even taking a white would be risky since they could lose their action.  That would even the playing field with those ships that can boost and barrel roll while the X's can't.

I like that the mere sight of a Rogue deciding to come after them (target lock) is enough to stress out an enemy pilot. That's thematically amazing.

Lets try to break this.

AAI = Advanced Astromech Interface

Garven + AAI + R2-X2 (26) 

Biggs + AAI + R2-X2 (25)

2x Red + AAI + R2-X2 (2x24)

Edit forgot the title was 1 point.

Biggs + AAI + R2-X2 + title (26)
2x Red + AAI + R2-X2 + title (2x25)
Tarn + AAI + R2-X2 + title (24)

At the start of combat, all 4 ships perform a green move. Biggs gets 4 evade tokens. Then he gets a focus after Garven shoots. Neat.  :P

Edited by MajorJuggler

Concentrated Fire

When declaring an attack roll one additional attack dice for each (concentrated Fire token) assign to the defender.

After you perform an attack assign a (concentrated Fire token) to the defender.

4 points

The idea here is to allow more dice for attacks and the more you add the better this card gets.

I'd rather see a slight change to that.

Rogue Squadron: Title: Named Pilots Only

When declaring an attack roll one additional attack dice for each (concentrated Fire token) assign to the defender.

After you perform an attack assign a (concentrated Fire token) to the defender.  All (concentrated Fire tokens) clear at the end of the end phase.

1-2 points

So, this way, it's buffing a squad of X wings.  Even at 1 point, there is no way to take 4 X wings in 100 points, so the most you could have would be 3 extra dice (total), and that would only be on the first pass with all three alive.  Plus, it lends itself to Wedge's mentality where he makes the weakest pilot Rogue 2 so he can keep a close eye on him/her and help the pilot out.  (Assuming you don't put VI on Luke/Wes).

Edited by Khyros

Lets try to break this.

Biggs + AAI + R2-X2 (25)

At the start of combat, all 4 ships perform a green move. Biggs gets 4 evade tokens. Then he gets a focus after Garven shoots. Neat.  :P

How are you passing them to Biggs? That was a separate idea.

Honestly the best Idea I have come up with is:

Title <Pick a Name> 0 Cost

"X-Wing Only. Whenever you are defending you may change one Blank Result to a Focus result"

I think it combos well with many of the pilots.  Luke might be a little too strong with it, but I think it improves the X-Wings survivability enough to make the 2 agi comparable to the 3 shields of the B-Wing, but of course you still get the dial, stats and unique Pilots of the X-Wing.  I think this makes it compare favorably enough with the B-Wing to make it worth while, but not so much that it takes away from the B.

Lets try to break this.

Biggs + AAI + R2-X2 (25)

Oops, I missed adding the title and that it was 1 point. Here, fixed.

100 points.

Rogue Squadron X-Wing

Title, X-Wing only

"At the start of the Combat Phase, you may assign 1 of your focus or evade tokens to another friendly ship with this title at Range 1-2. You cannot equip this card if your pilot skill is "2" or lower."

1 Point

Edited by MajorJuggler

Lets try to break this.

Biggs + AAI + R2-X2 (25)

Oops, I missed adding the title and that it was 1 point. Here, fixed.

100 points.

Rogue Squadron X-Wing

Title, X-Wing only

"At the start of the Combat Phase, you may assign 1 of your focus or evade tokens to another friendly ship with this title at Range 1-2. You cannot equip this card if your pilot skill is "2" or lower."

1 Point

Right, that's possible, but I don;t think his intent was to have all of these fixes together. Maybe I am wrong.  If he did, that's definitely a problem. =)

Honestly I think if you change my idea to "Once per round..." it would largely fix the problem without going overboard.

For chewing on ... here are my X-wing and astromech-specific creations:

T-65R [TORPEDO] (X-Wing only) {-1}

The ship’s upgrade bar gains the System Upgrade icon.

StealthX [TITLE] (X-wing only) {4}

Your action bar gains the Cloak action.

T-65XJ [MODIFICATION] (X-Wing only) {6}

Add the Boost action to your action bar and increase your Shield value by 1.

Rogue Squadron Ace [TITLE] (X-Wing only, Title) {2}

Add the Barrel Roll icon to your Action Bar. You cannot equip this card if your Pilot Skill is 4 or less.

Verpine Defense Tech [MODIFICATION] (Rebel only, Small Ship only) {6}

Apply any two of the three following abilities when this card is equipped: (1) Increase agility by 1; (2) Increase Hull by 1; (3) Increase Shield by 1.

Imperial Infiltrator [TITLE] (X-wing or Y-Wing only, Title) {0}

You may use a non-unique X-Wing or Y-wing pilot as part of an Imperial squad.

R9 Astromech [ASTROMECH] {1}

The cost of equipping secondary weapon upgrade cards (torpedoes, missiles, bombs, or turrets) is reduced by one point per card.

R9-D4 [ASTROMECH] {1}

When attacking with a secondary weapon, if that attack requires you to spend a target lock, you may immediately reacquire that target lock after the attack.

R9-D5 [ASTROMECH] {2}

You may roll one additional attack die when attacking with a secondary weapon.

R9-D6 [ASTROMECH] {4}

You may use a Range 1-2 turret to engage targets at Range 3.

R9-D7 [ASTROMECH] {1}

Equipping this astromech reduces the cost of all torpedoes equipped by 50% (round fractions up).

R9-D8 [ASTROMECH] {2}

Equipping this astromech reduces the cost of all torpedoes equipped by 50% (round fractions up). If an attack with a torpedo misses, the torpedo card is not discarded.

R9-D9* [ASTROMECH] {4}

Equipping this astromech reduces the cost of all torpedoes equipped by 50% (round fractions up). You may attack targets outside of your primary firing arc with torpedoes. If an attack with a torpedo misses, the torpedo card is not discarded.

C1-10P* [ASTROMECH]{1}

Your ship adds the Illicit Upgrade icon to its upgrade bar.

Instead of cutting costs, here are a few ideas I put on another thread that cheaply increase effectiveness of munitions through astromechs.

Generic Astromechs that do one of these:

-When attacking with a Torpedo secondary weapon, roll 2 additional attack dice.

1pt

-When attacking with a Torpedo secondary weapon, add 2 hits to your roll.

2pts

-After attacking with a Torpedo secondary weapon, you may perform a primary weapon attack.  Then receive one stress token.

2pts

*R6-B4 (the name doesn't matter really but 'Before' fits this guy)

Astromech

ACTION: Perform one Torpedo Secondary Weapon attack. (Lets you fire during activation phase before the high PS ships have moved or acted. Gives X's, Y's and E's a double tap AND gives Corran a tripple tap!)

2pts

*R3-Y0 (pronounced Why Naught)

When performing a Torpedo Secondary Weapon attack, you may ignore all range and arc restrictions.  (If you got that target lock on Fel just before he pulled the 4 straight, boost, barrel roll, stress, focus, he still faces your Advanced Torps.)

4pts.

Title:

S-Foil Expert

X-Wing only.

Your action bar gains the SLAM action.

1 Point

ah .... no

The SLAM is not just about a mechanical device ... like flaps or S-foils

It is a sublight hyberdrive.

What is the most common representation of what happens when an X-Wing closes its S-Foils?

I'll give you a hint:

Verpine Defense Tech [MODIFICATION] (Rebel only, Small Ship only) {6}

Apply any two of the three following abilities when this card is equipped: (1) Increase agility by 1; (2) Increase Hull by 1; (3) Increase Shield by 1.

I'd implement that a bit differently, for clarity.

Verpine Upgrades [MODIFICATION] (Rebel only, Small Ships only) {0}

You may equip 2 Verpine upgrades.

Verpine Thrusters [VERPINE UPGRADE] {3}

Increase your Agility value by 1.

Verpine Armor [VERPINE UPGRADE] {3}

Increase your Hull value by 1.

Verpine Shields [VERPINE UPGRADE] {3}

Increase your Shield value by 1.

Granted, I think that may be a bit broken, but this way it'll be clear on the tabletop exactly what you took.

You want to reduce the points of the X-Wing, not increase it by any means imo.

I liked one of the suggestions here:
Rogue Squadron X-Wing
Title, X-Wing only
"You cannot equip this card if your pilot skill is "2" or lower.  Your upgrade bar gains the Elite Pilot upgrade icon.  If you equip a Elite Pilot upgrade, its squad points is reduced by 3."
0 Points

Something along those lines, for flavor and power.

The X wing is fine. It's just a touch too expensive. It's boring, but giving it a 2 point price reduction ala Chardaan Refit makes it exactly as expensive as it should be, applies to all X Wing ships and pilots, doesn't rely on astromechs or other slots or upgrades, and is balanced across the entire spectrum of ships and upgrades.

The X wing is fine. It's just a touch too expensive. It's boring, but giving it a 2 point price reduction ala Chardaan Refit makes it exactly as expensive as it should be, applies to all X Wing ships and pilots, doesn't rely on astromechs or other slots or upgrades, and is balanced across the entire spectrum of ships and upgrades.

Which slot would it go in? or would it be a title?

Title:

S-Foil Expert

X-Wing only.

Your action bar gains the SLAM action.

1 Point

ah .... no

The SLAM is not just about a mechanical device ... like flaps or S-foils

It is a sublight hyberdrive.

What is the most common representation of what happens when an X-Wing closes its S-Foils?

I'll give you a hint:

You mean closing S-foils is just like closing the doors while driving in your car on a highway and this gives you the boost to travel twice as fast? Now I got it.

Not a refit, but:

Rebel Maintenance

Title, Rebel ships only

"You start the game with a random faceup damage card assigned"

-4 Points

Make it a title I reckon, so it doesn't prevent players from taking modifications if they want.