Sign in to follow this  
Tvboy

Zertik Strom in a TIE Swarm

People have been talking about using Zertik in combination with Carnor for the combos, but that leaves half of your list tied up in 2 ships, and if your goal is to fight at range 1, then the more attacking ships you have the better.

TIE Swarms really like to fight at range 1 as their numbers benefit them the most from the range 1 bonus and they like being able to block the opponent's movements, which means fighting up close. In a TIE swarm, Zertik amplifies that advantage even more by denying that bonus to your opponent, meaning that you get to fight at range 1 while your opponent is still fighting at range 2. 

Example List: 

Zertik Strom - X1/ATC, Draw Their Fire

Howlrunner - Hull Upgrade

Obsidian Squadron Pilot x3

Academy Pilot

The trick will be to make the first engagement at range 3 or 4 (just out of range), and then the next engagement be at range 1. I think if Zertik breaks into competitive play, this will be where he finds his place.

It would be interesting to see how the other named Ties flying in formation with Zertik would work. For instance, both Carnor and Dark Curse would benefit from flying in formation with Zertik and getting into Range 1 of the opponent. At only 69 points, that's not bad, leaves room for upgrade and at least 2 or 3 more generic ships.

Jacob

It would be interesting to see how the other named Ties flying in formation with Zertik would work. For instance, both Carnor and Dark Curse would benefit from flying in formation with Zertik and getting into Range 1 of the opponent. At only 69 points, that's not bad, leaves room for upgrade and at least 2 or 3 more generic ships.

Jacob

67, not 69, but yeah

[29] Carnor, PTL

[30] Strom, VI, EU, ATC, x1

[16] Dark Curse

[12] Academy

[12] Academy

Alternatively drop ATC for init bid, swap in AC or SJ. Could also drop VI but I'd rather have the move order option between Carnor and Strom rather than between Strom and DC.

People have been talking about using Zertik in combination with Carnor for the combos, but that leaves half of your list tied up in 2 ships, and if your goal is to fight at range 1, then the more attacking ships you have the better.

TIE Swarms really like to fight at range 1 as their numbers benefit them the most from the range 1 bonus and they like being able to block the opponent's movements, which means fighting up close. In a TIE swarm, Zertik amplifies that advantage even more by denying that bonus to your opponent, meaning that you get to fight at range 1 while your opponent is still fighting at range 2. 

Example List: 

Zertik Strom - X1/ATC, Draw Their Fire

Howlrunner - Hull Upgrade

Obsidian Squadron Pilot x3

Academy Pilot

The trick will be to make the first engagement at range 3 or 4 (just out of range), and then the next engagement be at range 1. I think if Zertik breaks into competitive play, this will be where he finds his place.

Don't much like the idea of bouncing more shots off your most expensive piece. How about this? Shoots at 8,8,6,6,4,1 (or 8,8,8,4,1,1):

Zetrik Strom (26)

+ TIE/x1 + ATC (1*)

+ Swarm Tactics (2)

Howlrunner (18)

+ Swarm Tactics (2)

Black Squadron Pilot (14)

+ DtF (1)

3x Academy Pilot (12)

I like the idea of putting an Ion Pulse Missile on Strom, either by dropping Obsidians to APs or the Hull Upgrade on Howl.  There's something to be said for a turn of reliable shooting vs an arc-dodgy fat turret.  It's pretty meta dependent, I guess.

Strom

*predator (?)

*atc

Howl

Stabber

Academy

Academy

Academy

Put Mauler in there instead of Backstabber.

Ditch predator to save on points since you already have Howl.

You have a few points left over for an upgrade or two or an initiative bid.

Edited by ParaGoomba Slayer

Oh man, I'm really liking these lists. I'm on board with OP that zertek doesn't need to be with car or. Ive been running soontir mini swarm for a while and I'd be interested in subbijg some of the mini swarm with zertek or colzat. These are all cool lists though.

I've been thinking about something similar. One other thing to note: Strom doesn't have to keep formation with the TIE swarm - he merely has to get to range 1 at the same time. On a head-to-head joust, this gives you the option of accelerating the bald git out of the swarm to screw up everyone else's maneuvers

The Zertik Strom Flying Headbutt

Zertik Strom, TIE/x1, Enhanced Scopes, Intimidation

Howlrunner

Black Squadron Pilot, Drawn Their Fire

Obsidian Squadron Pilot

Obsidian Squadron Pilot

Obsidian Squadron Pilot

Deploy in a 3 x 2 box, as below:

OS - ZS - OS

BS - HR - OS

as you close to range 1, hit a straight 4 or 5 with the Governor, and try and block something in the middle of the enemy's squad - said opponent ends up with no actions, -1 defence dice, no range 1 bonus attack dice, and a TIE swarm lined up on its face.

One thing to worry about is Strom getting targeted.  One reason I like Carnor Jax is that you can then take Sensor Jammers on Strom and it's effectively turning it into a miss. 

I do think Dark Curse would be hard to kill, as well. 

Edited by heychadwick