Sign in to follow this  
Mndela

The future life of LOTR-LCG

One guy said in a spanish forum the next idea: if the 4th saga expansion of Fellowship is now released it is because developer team want to close the game. Maybe next year, 2 years as much.

What do you think? Is is a stupid idea? Does it make sense?

My personal opinion: lotr can live still a lot of years.

The OP: http://www.edgeent.com/tema/38520-las_tierras_de_la_sombra

I could see the point of the post; FFG might want to finish the Saga Expansions before ending developing for the game.  Alternatively speaking I could see them stopping development of Player cards and focusing only on scenarios.

We have one cycle and 3 more sagas coming for sure, the truth is that after this the future of our favorite game is uncertain. My guess is one more cycle for sure. Ofc the fact that FFG didn't include lotr lcg in the "new" rotation format shows that they are not expecting/planing to expand the player cards pool for too long (no mater the nature of a card game an ever expanding card pool is sure to cause some huge problems). Any how i'm ok and i'm actually waiting for the (epic i hope) conclusion of the game (i don't believe that there will be another MAGIC ever) and that will not stop me from playing and having a great time, with this great game, for many years to come. 

P.S. As always sry for my bad english :)

Edited by iznax

I would be sad to see the game go, very sad, im only just buying it.

I hope they finish the sagas before finishing.

But...

There is a wealth of ideas that could keep it going years aftet sagas, plenty material to go at.

If it sells, then keep selling :)

The game is STILL in the hotness-list for BGG that should say somthing for its popularity.

Whats the new rotation format btw???

I still think theres room in the 17 year scenario slot for lots and lots of quest ideas even if sagas finish.

Id like to see other tolkien lore, like Silmarillion, (yes rights needed) but dont think its a certain for new content.

They could even do infill-saga boxes to fill gaps they missed (like old forest, fog on barrow etc). If you think Peter Jackson, then a scenario in the hobbit for gandalf and radagasts visit to the necromancer. There are so many aspects.

If you go to extremes, you could design a sceanrio around the council of elrond, with no enemies, but certain events (not treacheries) that need specific stats in your deck to combat.

Maybe they are rushing to a finish... but they dont NEED to. I would prefer to hope that the popularity of the game justifies accelerated content to meet demand. I hope thats the case.

Here's the link, FYI: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2014/11/5/a-new-stage-of-growth/ 

Says dead link.... ?

Found it googling. The article does say its aimed at competetive play which lotr isnt.

Should we be worried???

Ffg make us feel better with a statement please :)

Edited by alexbobspoons

Here's the link, FYI: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2014/11/5/a-new-stage-of-growth/ 

Says dead link.... ?

Found it googling. The article does say its aimed at competetive play which lotr isnt.

Should we be worried???

Ffg make us feel better with a statement please :)

you find it here

I feel like this game is definitely past its peak.  Back in times when Black Riders was being announced/released and Against the Shadow cycle, I feel like there was much more excitement and hype.  I just feel like the game does not have the same excitement it once did as new expansions are being released.  It's still a fun game, but I just don't feel the same excitement I once did.  

Here are 4 reasons why LOTR LCG is not being discontinued:

1. It has more blogs, podcasts, etc. than most other FFG games:

(not a complete list; this is just Tales From the Cards' blogroll.

2: At GenCon, Christian Petersen himself said during presentation of the inflight report that LOTR LCG is one of FFG's bestselling games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnrlBSvzxuU

(15:30)

3: The Treason of Saruman was announced right after The Road Darkens was released.  Now The Land of Shadow is being announced right after The Treason of Saruman was released.

4: Caleb himself, like Gizlivadi said.  I think the link is here:    www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YtDOVrlre8   But I don't know for sure.

I don't get it? How does the 4th Saga release matter? Not to mention, it's not released yet, it was just revealed only last week... :huh:

Besides, I'm sure this game will have many more years after the 6th Saga. They did fine for years before any Hobbit/LotR sagas came out making original stories and scenarios, I don't see how that will be any different once the 6th Saga is done. With Caleb and Matt at the helm the game has gotten better IMO.

I'll can't remember which interview it was (The Caleb interview on CotR Podcast, or the Matt interview with the Grey Company Podcast), but it was mentioned the FFG CEO, Christian Peterson, is writing some of the story text for the inserts from the VoI cycle I think. If the CEO of FFG is this hands on, on this game, I think it's doing fine.

I don't get it? How does the 4th Saga release matter? Not to mention, it's not released yet, it was just revealed only last week... :huh:

Besides, I'm sure this game will have many more years after the 6th Saga. They did fine for years before any Hobbit/LotR sagas came out making original stories and scenarios, I don't see how that will be any different once the 6th Saga is done. With Caleb and Matt at the helm the game has gotten better IMO.

I'll can't remember which interview it was (The Caleb interview on CotR Podcast, or the Matt interview with the Grey Company Podcast), but it was mentioned the FFG CEO, Christian Peterson, is writing some of the story text for the inserts from the VoI cycle I think. If the CEO of FFG is this hands on, on this game, I think it's doing fine.

Apparently, the 4th Saga announcement matters because people think that all of the 6 Saga boxes have to be out before the game can start to be discontinued, and they are hurrying that process along because FFG wants the game discontinued soon.

It was the Caleb interview on CotR,

Edited by Ecthelion III

The topic that has more resurrections than Sauron...

Game is fine. As long as it sells, they will sell it. I can't imagine them saying, "this is one of our products that always sells well, but you know what, let's just go ahead and close it down for reasons". 

If there is a "rush" for the 4th saga, it is likely for the positive reason that you maniacs (myself included) gobble up everything for this game that they release so there's really no good reason to sit on it. 

Finally, as for rotation, they basically said at the time that rotation would not be used in LOTR because it is a cooperative game.

Apparently, the 4th Saga announcement matters because people think that all of the 6 Saga boxes have to be out before the game can start to be discontinued, and they are hurrying that process along because FFG wants the game discontinued soon.

It was the Caleb interview on CotR,

Oh, now I see what they mean now. Thanks for the clarification. :)

hmm... even then, that's a very cynical view on the matter, with a leap of logic to a questionable conclusion. Fact of the matter is, if the game wasn't doing so well, FFG would can it right now, 4th Saga be damned! FFG wouldn't wait for the Sagas to be complete to kill the game off. We have a healthy release schedule. LotR LCG is firmly supported. I mean, FFG is catering to the hardcore players with Nightmare packs, and I can't imagine those sell as well as anything else in the line. That's some crazy support.

And on a less serious note, FFG can't "rush" things. It's not in their vocabulary, as is "on-time." Printing and shipping delays always seems to bite them in the ass. :P

If you want to argue to future of the game, that's fine.  But there is no way anyone can gleam any evidence from the announcement of the 4th saga.

The plan was to release 2 sagas a year.  It's usually about 6 months from first announcement to release, and they just released Treason of Saruman.  So... 6 months between sagas when the original plan was to release them every 6 months?  Sounds like the end of the game to me.  Not to mention that Treason got delayed a month or two by the shipping delays while their timeline for Land of Shadow was probably unchanged.

The popularity of the game is going strong thats the truth, but the same think applied to AGOT with even bigger hipe and sales and guess what... All i'm trying to say that this is not the only criterion for FFG.

Saga boxes??? When game start I was so happy that lotr game not use Frodo story at all!

And when saga was announced I was happy is just a extra expansion way in this game. So saga if Frodo have NOTHING TO DO WITH MAJORITY OF THIS GAME!!!

How long will lotr live is depend on 2 things and only on that things

1 For how long time FFG have a license and 2, sells.

Simple and easy!

Edited by Glaurung