Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Funkleton

Has anyone seen the New(ish) Bandai Star Wars Model Kits?

201 posts in this topic

I have the X-wing, Stormtrooper and R2-d2 kits. They are superb!

I've seen some comparisons to the Finemolds kits (supposedly the best) and they seem to stack up pretty well next to them - not to mention that they are about a tenth of the price and you can actually buy them without too much trouble.

I'm quite tempted to give them a go but I'm very much a novice modeller - how easy/difficult are they to put together?

I'm quite tempted to give them a go but I'm very much a novice modeller - how easy/difficult are they to put together?

If it's Bandai, they should be pretty straightforward. I haven't built any of the SW kits, but I've built Gundams for years, and even the Master Grades feature simple instructions.

Funkleton likes this

You can get them off eBay for a decent price. I'm just in the process of painting the X Wing. The kits are pretty good, and the instructions easy to follow. Mine came in Japanese and I was still able to follow them easily. I would have preferred the Finemolds kits but given that most of them are OOP or just furiously expensive, I went with the Bandai ones. Here's hoping they release some more, I'd really love an A Wing, B Wing and Y Wing and an Interceptor and Bomber to complement the ranges. And a 1/72 Falcon would be really cool as well.

The kits are snap together with no glue required. I may have used some on the x-wing. I live in Japan so bought them from a hobby shop.

Yes, the instructions are in Japanese but like Lego .. you follow the images. They are easy to follow. Also, they provide both stickers and decals with their models so you can choose how to detail it.

Great models. I highly recommend them.

John Tenzer and Odanan like this

I read a review on them and they said they were good however the "Fine molds" versions were actually more detailed. Hope they make a Y wing soon. as the fine molds versions are waaaaay to expensive and hard to find..

Edited by Swedge

You can get them off eBay for a decent price. I'm just in the process of painting the X Wing. The kits are pretty good, and the instructions easy to follow. Mine came in Japanese and I was still able to follow them easily. I would have preferred the Finemolds kits but given that most of them are OOP or just furiously expensive, I went with the Bandai ones. Here's hoping they release some more, I'd really love an A Wing, B Wing and Y Wing and an Interceptor and Bomber to complement the ranges. And a 1/72 Falcon would be really cool as well.

from what I've seen, the Bandai Kit is arguably superior to the Finemolds

also Amazon seems to be way cheaper than eBay - at least in the UK

Odanan likes this

Y'know, buying a few of each ship for an epically-sized game of X-wing wouldn't be that expensive if you buy them one at a time. They're only about 2.5 times the cost of a single X-wing miniature. :)

UK prices aren't far off the price of an XWM blister pack.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bandai-Star-Wars-Starfighter-Japan/dp/B00O3RUTNO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430563927&sr=8-1&keywords=bandai+x-wing

but where am I going to get really big movement templates and giant dice from? :)

phocion likes this

I read a review on them and they said they were good however the "Fine molds" versions were actually more detailed. Hope they make a Y wing soon. as the fine molds versions are waaaaay to expensive and hard to find..

The Bandai versions are crisper and more accurately detailed than the Fine Molds offereings. I have nine X-wing kits: four Fine Molds 1/72 scale, one Fine Molds 1/48 scale, three Bandai 1/72, and the brand new Bandai 1/48 motorized kit and I can say that, by far, the Bandai kits are superior (the cockpit alone is way better on the Bandai kit).

If anyone lives in the States, HobbyLinkJapan (www.hlj.com) is a pretty good place to get them. Shipping can be a little much depending on what option you choose, but you can combine orders to save on shipping (which is what I typically do).

Funkleton and Kyrios Mirage like this

My 2 cents

My wife is Japanese and I saw these during one my recent trips back and forth.   As has been mentioned, they are lovely, lovely kits and after a couple of test fittings I havent seen any issues.  I got them cheap due to exchange rate and there is a low price hobby superstore near Nagoya city centre in Osu (store is called Joshin).  I bought them at Y1680 which is about 14 USD or just under 10 GBP. 

The advanced is really nice.  Its slightly different in shape to the FFG mini, wider and more pancake shaped (if that makes sense) at the back.  But the X is really detailed and looks amazing. 

Other than the fact that I have no space to put these when made, I am looking forward to getting them put together.

The only thing I dont like is the wriggly sperm proton torpedos... They are slightly comical and made me chuckle.

They have just done a TIE fighter, so that will be on my shopping list next trip over and if they have a Y Wing I will be adding one of those as well.

Here's to a long line of Bandai Star Wars releases :) .

Edited by phocion
Conandoodle likes this