Sign in to follow this  
Baaa

Debris Field Rules

Hi folks,

I'm looking for an answer on how Debris Fields work. 

Debris clouds are obstacles as described in the core rulebook with the following exceptions;

I move a ship and the maneuver template overlaps a debris field, do I - 

1. Complete movement as normal.

2. Carry out perform action.

3. Apply stress token.

4. Roll for damage.

5. Combat

or 

6. Complete movement as normal.

7. Miss out perform action (as debris field is an obstacle as described in the core rulebook).

8. Apply stress token.

9. Roll for damage.

10. Combat.

Cheers

Baaa

This question really only applies to Tycho, since the wording is that the stress comes on right after the check pilot stress step, which is before perform action, and Tycho is the only one who can do actions while stressed.

Alternatively someone near Yorr could benefit, I suppose.

It looks like numbered list the FAQ entry on debris fields is meant to replace the numbered list in the core rules, which is where the skip perform action step is pointed out, so I'd say debris fields don't have that effect.

Most of the time they do that anyways.

Neither of those options. You

1. Complete maneuver as normal

2. Check pilot stress (add a stress for a red maneuver, remove one for a green)

3. Roll damage and apply a stress token for the debris

4. Take your perform action step (unless you are Tycho or were able to get rid of the stress from the debris, you can't actually perform an action, but the step still happens)

Then finish the activation phase for any remaining ships

Then combat.

Edited by Forgottenlore

i believe forgottenlore is incorrect, you will skip your perform action step for passing/overlapping a debris field as the rules state "debris clouds are obstacles as described in the core rulebook with the following exceptions" it goes on to state the 2 specific difference and that you may still attack while overlapping them, it does not say that rule about skipping the action step no longer applies, so Tycho or someone effected by Yorr cannot take an action after passing/overlapping a debris cloud.

I would say the section "Moving into and through debri clouds" is intended to replace everythng you do when "Moving into and through" asteroids. If it is just an addition as you sugest, you wuld roll for damage acording to the asteroid rules and then roll again acording to the added debri rules.

hmm i see your point, having reread all the sections i believe you are right it is a replacement. it's easy to be fooled by the line i quoted, i know others who have thought the same. the rule book does state other obstacles may be introduced which makes sense that the debris field rules fully replace the asteroid ones printed in the book.

The damage roll is one of the exceptions to the general obstacle rule.  Being an exception means that something happens that wouldn't normally happen or something wouldn't happen that normally would.  So you follow the order of hitting a normal asteroid, but make changes at the points where the debris field rules apply.

1. Make movement, overlap debris field.

2. Check pilot stress (red, green, or white maneuver)

3. Assign stress token from debris field (meaning you could gain 2 in 1 turn if you did a red maneuver)

4. Skip perform action (there is no exception in debris field so this still applies)

5. Roll one attack die and take damage only on a crit (2nd exception to original obstacle rules)

6. Declare your target and roll attack dice.

You follow the basic rules except for when the obstacle rules overrule them.  You follow the obstacle rules except where the debris field rules overrule them.  If it isn't mentioned in the debris field, you default to the obstacles, if it isn't mentioned in the obstacles, play as normal.

Edited by flyboymb

You follow the basic rules except for when the obstacle rules overrule them.  You follow the obstacle rules except where the debris field rules overrule them.

I'm going to throw my hat onto the side that thinks the "rules for flying over/onto debris" section replaces the "rules for flying over/onto obstacles" section en masse, rather than being piecewise changes/additions. Edited by Quarrel

If it doesn't replace the asteroid rules for "flying over/onto", then how do we even know what parts of it are replaceing something and what parts are additions? It makes no such distinction on each point.

What it does say is "Follow these steps", so I would think we do exactly that, no more, no less.

You know what?  I think you're right.  I suppose that the only real exception is what happens when you move into a debris field.  Placement, shooting through, and spacing are still all the same.  They should really reword that line to read exception instead of the plural as you are only replacing one part of the rules and the line as currently read could be applied on a line by line basis (as many of us have in this thread) because there's no other blue texted subject fields affected.

If they replaced 'exceptions' with 'replacement', there would be no room for interpretation as to whether the rules merely add to or replace the current obstacle rules.

I guess we need to wait until the Supreme Court rules whether something should be defined by the technical wording or by the spirit under which it was written.