Sign in to follow this  
talismanisland

The Harbinger is coming - New expansion announced!

Like it!!

Interesting new design direction.

Having the Harbringer deck makes it constantly relevant to the game without fear of deck dilution.

Obviously including the Harbringer NPC will have a major impact compared to the werewolf and Reaper.

This looks awesome!  I'm especially glad that there will be more terrain cards, as I really like that mechanic.  Also looks like on balance this will be more "risk" than "reward" which is great because a number of previous expansions (particularly City and to a lesser extent Woodland) have added far more on the reward side than the risk side.  Can't wait!!!

Witch Cat is certainly cursed - could be considered a ..... ***** cat! Who would risk a re-roll with that?!

Flail of Blood only slightly cursed, meaning better to have it than not. If the only curse is to lose the battle then worth the risk I would say.

FANTASTIC! Imangine The Harbringer, Reaper and the Werwolf in play WTF!!

Love the Omen idea might be once you get to 6 or 7 BOOM NO ONE WINS!! means players need to get their grove on. Great idea if so.

The Harbinger contains:

• One Harbinger figure, sheet, and accompanying Harbinger deck
  • Three more characters seek the Crown of Command
  • Four Omen decks each unleash a unique scenario of doom
  • Terrain cards transform the landscape of the realm
  • Two apocalypse-themed alternate endings

So this is interesting 4 Omen decks but when the 7th hits its Doom! and the 4th starts the with Terrian cards being added to spaces. So the Omen deck must be like differnt doom types?

Expected for second quarter? We're already in the 2nd quarter! This means we have not more than 2 months of waiting and speculating ahead of us. :)

Judging from past experience, I would expect it to ship sometime in early July.

The figures look fantastic, like Artaterxes said!  Whoa.

REally a game changer, to me (aren't they all, why we love this game).

Obviously could speed up a game. Also, seems to tie into themes from other expansions, notably Blood Moon.

I am dribbling and twiching in sweet antipication!

Brilliant! I love these smaller 'deck' expansions and with a new NPC to play with, my group will be very excited! (God I wonder what the number of the dice will be to move the Harbinger, we are running out! :lol:)

Bring it on! I will be watching TalismanIsland closely for previews to get my juices well and truely flowing ;)

I wonder if it could be a different mechanic that moves the Harbinger. WE have a precedent of 'events' moving/causing certain dynamics and this expansion seems to have a tie in with events, so perhaps events or certain events trigger Harbinger's movement.

I would be okay with that. On the other hand, 1 more NPC who moves when a character rolls '1', will reinforce all movements Reaper, Werewolf and Harbinger. (maybe do them in alphabetical order?).

There just seems to be so much here - I'm flabbergasted that after Blood Moon, Woodlands and Firelands - all games with lots of new mechanics and inspirations - that they could come up with this. I'm truly pleased with what I see!

Man oh man, I probably shouldn't get this the second it comes out, but...all those shiny new mechanics...I'm a sucker for new NPCs, and whoever dreamt up the Harbinger deck and Omen cards (probably John Goodenough, I suppose) deserves the biggest raise ever

I wonder if it could be a different mechanic that moves the Harbinger. WE have a precedent of 'events' moving/causing certain dynamics and this expansion seems to have a tie in with events, so perhaps events or certain events trigger Harbinger's movement.

I would be okay with that. On the other hand, 1 more NPC who moves when a character rolls '1', will reinforce all movements Reaper, Werewolf and Harbinger. (maybe do them in alphabetical order?).

Copy/pasted from the article:

"When you draw an Event, the Harbinger moves into your space, but has no ill effects upon you." 

Of course, they're mum as to whether this new mechanic replaces the old one or is an addition to it.

Man oh man, I probably shouldn't get this the second it comes out, but...all those shiny new mechanics...I'm a sucker for new NPCs, and whoever dreamt up the Harbinger deck and Omen cards (probably John Goodenough, I suppose) deserves the biggest raise ever

Samuel Bailey has been the designer of Firelands, Woodland, and Harbinger. Check the credits of the rules to see!

Gotta clear that up, since you suggested a raise, haha.

Man oh man, I probably shouldn't get this the second it comes out, but...all those shiny new mechanics...I'm a sucker for new NPCs, and whoever dreamt up the Harbinger deck and Omen cards (probably Samuel Bailey, I suppose) deserves the biggest raise ever

I need to forward this to my boss ;-p

Samuel Bailey has been the designer of Firelands, Woodland, and Harbinger. Check the credits of the rules to see!

I'll second the idea that Samuel Bailey deserves a raise, a BIG one!  Firelands was a fantastic expansion and the Woodland was far and away the best of the corner expansions.  I have a feeling Harbinger is really going to be something . . . ;)  

That just shows how badly I need to update my collection, I guess. The most recent expansion I have is The Blood Moon. :P

On further consideration, I particularly like how we get four different scenarios instead of a single "blanket" apocalypse. I'm also eager to see exactly how the new characters' stats interact. (I'm not the only one, either--some of my fellow players/little siblings have been begging me to pre-order this one. I'll probably wind up doing it, but I feel like I should at least make a pretense of trying to save money.)

Man oh man, I probably shouldn't get this the second it comes out, but...all those shiny new mechanics...I'm a sucker for new NPCs, and whoever dreamt up the Harbinger deck and Omen cards (probably Samuel Bailey, I suppose) deserves the biggest raise ever

I need to forward this to my boss ;-p

Glad to help, man. ;P

EDIT: Egad, I'm so excited I'm using emoticons. That doesn't happen often.

Edited by Dark Stranger