Sign in to follow this  
Jegergryte

Gaming over the interwebz

In other games (Pathfinder etc) I have previously experimented with Roll20 and a few other online gaming solutions but I tend to find they can be very labour intensive to set up.  I play EotE online over Skype (with video) as we are unable to play in person due to living too far appart.  I've found Skype prefferable to Hangouts because you get bigger videos of all the players not just a constantly changing large video of whoever is currently talking and tiny videos of everyone else. 

We also have a group folder in Google Drive and for the times in EotE when I feel I need to use maps and minis I have found the easiest way to do this is make a new Google Drawing.  You can drag and drop a suitable image in to use as your map, and then drag and drop smaller images in to use as your characters.  All the players can see it live and interact with it simultaneously.  You can move stuff around, resize it and write all over the page to your heart's content.  No prior prep is required, I have a folder of useful pogs (I find 30px is ideal), but when you need somehting on the fly it's pretty east to do a quick google for something suitable and drop it in. 

It doesn't have any fancy features but it is super flexible and easy to get everyone using.  My most commonly used map, the party's ship, looks like this:

GoogleDrawingsEotE.JPG

Roll20 ftw

With the correct api loaded for ur game it gives you everything you need to play. And the maps and handouts aren't too difficult to use at all. I combined it with a token program from another publisher and I can make tokens out of anything.

Edited by Melil13

I'm not very experienced with online solutions for table-top rpgs over the interwebz, I've used skype and roll20 once (recently), but this Virtual Table Top-thing looks interesting and useful.

This is the second such solution I’ve seen in this space.

While it looks good for what it is, my concern would be that it would get you back into exactly the same kind of tactical mindset that you’d have if you were using real miniatures.

Well, at best it would get you back into that same mindset.

While there are some games that need that kind of thing, personally I don’t think that FFG SWRPG is one of them. IMO, that kind of tactical mindset is exactly the sort of box we need to be thinking outside of.

That said, I would be very interested to hear what the experiences of others are, when it comes to these sorts of things and how well they do (or do not) work with FFG SWRPG.

I like roll20 over google hangouts. there is a EotE dice app for hangouts and roll 20 does the maps well. Yes the maps take a pit of set up. But that is going to be true for any virtual tabletop.

This is how me and my primary group play. It's a lot of fun, especially since my GM has such diverse tile sets and has dynamic lighting.

I'm not very experienced with online solutions for table-top rpgs over the interwebz, I've used skype and roll20 once (recently), but this Virtual Table Top-thing looks interesting and useful.

This is the second such solution I’ve seen in this space.

While it looks good for what it is, my concern would be that it would get you back into exactly the same kind of tactical mindset that you’d have if you were using real miniatures.

Well, at best it would get you back into that same mindset.

While there are some games that need that kind of thing, personally I don’t think that FFG SWRPG is one of them. IMO, that kind of tactical mindset is exactly the sort of box we need to be thinking outside of.

That said, I would be very interested to hear what the experiences of others are, when it comes to these sorts of things and how well they do (or do not) work with FFG SWRPG.

I would not look down on being tactical. I would even say not taking into account tactical realities is poor role play in many cases. 

Well, I'd probably only use a program like this to make maps and images to show my PCs on a screen or printed out. Like that one dude who made some really sweet maps in Unity a while back.

I've tried Skype and roll20 once. I'm not against it, but it does take some getting used to disembodied voices, funky maps and so on. I did enjoy it a lot though, but I think that in spite of the tech solution rather than because of it, it was the GM, the group and the story that made the skype gam worth it. Not sure that's a go-to technology for playing with my old uni friends.

Well, I'd probably only use a program like this to make maps and images to show my PCs on a screen or printed out. Like that one dude who made some really sweet maps in Unity a while back.

I've tried Skype and roll20 once. I'm not against it, but it does take some getting used to disembodied voices, funky maps and so on. I did enjoy it a lot though, but I think that in spite of the tech solution rather than because of it, it was the GM, the group and the story that made the skype gam worth it. Not sure that's a go-to technology for playing with my old uni friends.

try it with hangouts instead... works better in my experience

I played roll20 a few sessions but came to the conclusion that online RPG's just aren't for me... I like the personal contact, the friends-at-the-table-beers-and-chips at hand feel, the laughter the shooting the **** type of session that online just doesn't provide.

I agree... but I have no luck finding local star wars GMs

I played roll20 a few sessions but came to the conclusion that online RPG's just aren't for me... I like the personal contact, the friends-at-the-table-beers-and-chips at hand feel, the laughter the shooting the **** type of session that online just doesn't provide.

I agree... but I have no luck finding local star wars GMs

If given the choice, I would always prefer playing at the table over playing at the virtual table. But for several reasons, that is simply not feasible with the amount of games I would like to play right now. Using Roll20 with Google Hangouts is an adequate alternative; not the same, but better than not playing by far.

And to be fair, playing online has proven to be a nice way of keeping regular contact with friends that are now living all over the place. We still meet a couple of times each year to play the big and old campaigns, but anything smaller can only be done online. Again, it is not quite the same as seeing each other in person, but still a lot better than not gaming together.

I've always played the old fashioned tabletop way, but I am currently considering making a roll20/hangout group since the people I know who want to play FFG star wars are spread out over the country. I have no idea whether I would end up liking it or not, though.

It's a little annoying since most of my local friends are interested in playing something like D&D but have the feeling that FFG star wars is too much hard work, so I'm, having trouble getting a group together :-(

Edited by Chimpy

Mind you, I am not advocating against online play... I am in fact pretty bummed about the fact that it isnt my cup of tea.

Well given the choice between no gaming and gaming via Roll20. I game via Roll20. I do like the in person gaming. It is better. i like having maps and terrain etc. Which i can't do as well online. But some gaming is better than no gaming. And i really have absolutely no interest in D&D. Which seems to be the only game most people play.

Interesting.  I find no great value to having an online tabletop for EotE.

I've played games that pretty much demanded miniature use, but the cinematic feel of EotE really doesn't demand it.

I do a little research before adventures and gather up some links to various photos or art online that give the feel for the environment they are in, and let the cinematic juices flow after that.

I find miniature use for this game just slows down the flow and depletes the creativity.

I find miniature use for this game just slows down the flow and depletes the creativity.

Yeah I agree. The only difficulty I have is with distances with multiple entities. E.g. players ask "if I'm a short range with X and Y, and medium with Z, and I move up close to X, am I now medium to Y and Z? Or Is Z at long range now, even though that enemy is off to the side?". I get that kind of thing all the time.

Yeah I agree. The only difficulty I have is with distances with multiple entities. E.g. players ask "if I'm a short range with X and Y, and medium with Z, and I move up close to X, am I now medium to Y and Z? Or Is Z at long range now, even though that enemy is off to the side?". I get that kind of thing all the time.

The times we’ve done combat, we’ve never needed more than a simple sketch map on paper with dots representing certain individuals and maybe X’s or other letters representing others. Or a board with wet or dry-erase markers where a map was quickly sketched out, and then different color/size dice (and dice facings) to represent different groups.

I went out and bought a fair amount of old plastic WotC Star Wars figures and we used them in a couple of cases, but frankly we didn’t get that much use out of them, and we didn’t really do anything with them that we couldn’t have easily done with dice or other simpler representations.

I don’t even carry the WotC miniatures around anymore. I have them somewhere here in the house, but I’m not exactly sure where they are or even what bag they’re in.

I agree. Also seeing the tactical situation helps players make better decisions.  I also find often times seeing where people are relative to each other allows one to make more creative choices.  Oh the wookiee is over there fighting some minions... Well if I use move on the nemesis and use them as a blunt instrument on the minions if he is still up the wookiee will be in prime position to pull their arms out of their sockets like they deserve....

I don't need squares or to count them. sometimes we will use a string to keep things consistent. 

If you ever do set up an online group let me know...

Edited by Daeglan

I'd say use of miniatures or pogs on maps or whatever is conditional.  In EotE I find it rarely necessary, it's primarily a narrative game.  But sometimes big combats happen and it gets confusing.  I played a game where my party was ambushed in a street.  One end had a spaceport and the other is where they were coming from.  Very simple, so I didn't bother with any kind of map or miniatures or whatever.  We had to stop the session halfway through the combat and before the next session started I decided to draw a simple map to remind everyone where everything was.  Turns out every single player had a different idea about where everything was and that had been causing them to come up with some bizarre tactics and causing general confusion.  I've learnt my lesson.  Now anything more protracted than a couple of turns requires at least a sketch map and some representation of positioning.  Using specific squares is of course totally unnecessary in EotE but I have found using miniatures/pogs/maps/whatever gets everyone on the same page and considerably simplifies and speeds up combat. 

And of course it's a great way to use Star Wars Lego...

eote1.jpg

I'd recommend Fantasy Grounds but you gotta fork out cash to GM. The cheaper option is to use their subscription model. There's also a very good Star Wars ruleset that is continually developed by the community.

Otherwise, Roll20 will probably be your best bet if your not willing to spend money on a VTT program.