Sign in to follow this  
metacritic

Extremely Basic Rules Question

Can someone point me to a quote from the official rules that indicate if players can move through locations with open gates during the Movement Phase or does moving on a gate end one's movement so it can be encountered in the Encounters Phase? 

I'm not too familiar with the board, but I suspect that the gates are on dead-end paths which means my question may be irrelevant because one would not move there and back again.  But if this isn't true, I would like to know the official word because I can't seem to find it in the manual.

Thanks in advance!

Movement allows you to move spaces = your movement points. Failing an Evade with a monster will remove all the remaining movement points, other wise it's free game. Finn with 11 movement points (hey, that actually happened gran_risa.gif ), could do Indepence Square-Downtown-IS-Downtown quite a few times if no monsters were at either location. Makes no difference is IS has an open gate or not. Gates only affect investigators in the Arkham Encounters phase (as far as sucking in goes).

A gate doesn't stop movement, only entering combat, player consent or special game effects do. On the Arkham and Dunwich boards the gates only appear on dead end locations and gates don't open on Kingsport.

Innsmouth has this fun location where you can rent a boat and move to any aquatic location (Arkham and Kingsport has them too). I don't remember now if that location's special text says you have to stop on your target location, though.. But there is Silas the Sailor! But then again a gate replaces a location, and there are no "aquatic gates". (R'lyeh would count, but we're talking about gates lengua.gif)

It seems that the question is irrelevant, but what if one designs a custom board where unstable locations are linked in a chain (Kind of like the stable locations in Kingsport, Kingsport Head neighbourhood)? Well, it seems that a gate doesn't stop movement, it just replaces a location, and becomes a gate-space instead of location-space.

QUICK-EDIT : Curse these slow fingers! lengua.gif