Sign in to follow this  
RebelX

How does everybody feel about Saruman's Treason quests?

yes, this one. I guess I can proxy it...

Still, just for the sake of it, I contacted FFG customer support and asked for help. I would be impressed if they shipped one little card over the ocean, though :)

Believe me, I am sure they will. They shipped Arkenstone (the treasure card from Hobbit box of course, not the real one =P) over the ocean for me. And you are no different. :)

Edited by Eldainorn

yes, this one. I guess I can proxy it...

Still, just for the sake of it, I contacted FFG customer support and asked for help. I would be impressed if they shipped one little card over the ocean, though :)

Believe me, I am sure they will. They shipped Arkenstone (the treasure card from Hobbit box of course, not the real one =P) over the ocean for me. And you are no different. :)

Wow, they actually did. Just got a shipping confirmation. That is quality customer service on FFG's part, I am impressed.

Just played the first scenario a number of times.

For starters I had to try Gimili and Legolas heroes with Aragorn. No big surprise, they did not do so well.

I did learn a lot about the quest, and it seemed quite difficult, and strong questing was going to be important to catch up to the orcs. Very nice pursuit mechanic. Also, having to deal with some pretty tough enemies early on was a challenge, toughness keyword is making these guy harder to finsh off.

So I put together a deck I was much happier with and still fit the theme of the scenario somewhat.

I used the new spirit Theoden along with Theodred. Really like the new Theoden. Seems like he's going to open up a lot of new rohan possibilites.

Have not gotten to the next 2 scenarios yet, but I'm happy that I'll be able to reserect Gandalf. The designers did a great job with that surprise. Very cool to see the story reflected so well in the game here, well other than the 3 hunter heroes not really being playable for the scenario, but oh well.

At the end of TRD I had Sam and Pippen(Sp) in one hand and Aragorn (Lo), Merry (T) and Boromir (T) in the other.  Merry and Pippen were taken captive.

So for Chasing the Uruk-Hai I decided to go back to one handed since I assumed I would want Sam on the next leg.  This left me with Boromir and a free hero to replace Aragorn.  As many have already found out, the Three Hunters can't quest their way out of a paper bag.  So I replaced Aragorn with Eowyn and it became easy.  For Helm's Deep I added Théoden and while it was hard, I have beaten the quest.  I haven't had time to play Isengard yet.

Actually now that I think about it, I had Sam/Theoden on one side (not Eowyn) because Sam was in my group at the end of Breaking.  Was sort of disappointed that I didn't get to switch him out for free, but I kicked him out as soon as I got to Helm's Deep so it's all good.  Go catch up to Mr. Frodo, Sam!

At the end of TRD I had Sam and Pippen(Sp) in one hand and Aragorn (Lo), Merry (T) and Boromir (T) in the other.  Merry and Pippen were taken captive.

Oo, did you sacrifice Gandalf and then just leave him out for Breaking?  So only 2 heroes on one end of the table?

Yes.  It worked really well because Sam and Spippen turned into a really good secrecy/support deck. And it wasn't that hard to get Sentinal on Boromir to defend them.  Spippen could always send the enemy back to staging too, but in practice that was never needed.

You use Spirit Pippin?  I salute you, sir!

Seems I am to dumb to defeat the first quest. How on earth can I keep that cursed track below 30? It always takes me 6-7 turns before I can finish stage 1, so that's at least 22-24 points. Then there are some enemies, treacheries and when revealed effects, travel effects and stuff... :(

And even when I have that done in time, I get always stomped by Ugluk. I'm playing spirit Theoden and Thedored plus Erkenbrand as the prisoner, not in campaign mode.

ETA: Just won a game, but basically it was because I got all the good cards when I needed them most.

Edited by leptokurt

I managed to beat 

Seems I am to dumb to defeat the first quest. How on earth can I keep that cursed track below 30? It always takes me 6-7 turns before I can finish stage 1, so that's at least 22-24 points. Then there are some enemies, treacheries and when revealed effects, travel effects and stuff... :(

And even when I have that done in time, I get always stomped by Ugluk. I'm playing spirit Theoden and Thedored plus Erkenbrand as the prisoner, not in campaign mode.

ETA: Just won a game, but basically it was because I got all the good cards when I needed them most.

I was just able to beat it with Boromir and Eowyn, lot of questing alies and only tactics cards were to get boromir boosted.  Song of Travel turn 1 was a must for early 2 cost allies.

Would be interested in other's solo decks, anyone post one?

Well, thankfully I found Tracker1's "protector deck" https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/177561-aragorn-protector-of-helms-deep-solo-deck/ which is pretty cool. Unfortunatly I am not in these attachement driven decks (and I have only one core set plus I try to keep the theme by not including Steward of Gondor)). However, it reminded me that I totally forgot to include Blood of Numenor which is a big help in the fight against Ugluk. I'm still loosing like 80 percent of may games, but it helps to know that it is at least possible to win.

Today I ran Boromir Sam Balin leadership deck with a lot of allies, visionary leadership(think it is 95% one of Tracker1s, I have since added Galadriel and Gimli who rule in this deck) and absolutely housed Helms Deep solo.  Stayed on Stage 2A for the entire quest until I made it to stage 5A.  Had a decent draw from encounter deck, with no nasty treacheries poppping out, but was able to travel strategically and let the deck make a little progress if it suited the situation.  This quest certainly seems easier for solo players(for once) but it honestly might be my favorite.

I dont understand when people build up a power decks(what they should do eventually if they come to certain level) and play standard and proud to win. I dont even bother myself to play TOS until nightmare come. I know I will win most of the time from first attempt. So if you know the game mightmare is your level. Couse only nightmare give you a real expirience of middle earth journey!

Fully agree with Glaurung! To get a decent and challenging solo play experience these days, you either have to play Nightmare mode or build decks without Boromir, Gandalf, Glorfindel and Elrond (did I forget anyone?). Helm's Deep is certainly a great quest but it's also so much more fun if you can beat without any power cards.

Edit: I guess I should add Hama and Galadriel to the list. They can make a quest so boring...

Edited by tricil

Fully agree with Glaurung! To get a decent and challenging solo play experience these days, you either have to play Nightmare mode or build decks without Boromir, Gandalf, Glorfindel and Elrond (did I forget anyone?). Helm's Deep is certainly a great quest but it's also so much more fun if you can beat without any power cards.

Edit: I guess I should add Hama and Galadriel to the list. They can make a quest so boring...

Dain/Dwarves and Hirluin/Outlands should also be on that list for sure.

Brandon will kill you for hurting on Boromir. :lol:

While I use Gandalf because he's fun to play, I always avoid including Elrond and Eagles/Gildor in my Gandalf decks, even in Nightmare. Vilya is a cheap and boring card.

I found that the current power of Rohan decks are well suited to the Treason of Sauman. Rohan decks are not quite at the same level as the broken power decks, and still leave a good and thematic challenge. I was playing campaign mode and had Theoden fall in helms deep. Theodred stepped up and took his place in the Road to Isengard to wreck vengeance upon Saruman for his fallen father. It was quite fun.  

Report on 4-player: 

Quest 1 is fun, but relatively easy if you don't play a thematic deck. Any of the standard "power" heroes combinations should win this scenario. I'd put the difficulty at maybe 4 out of 10. 

Quest 2 is more difficult but still quite beatable. We never even sniffed quest stage 4, we managed to win from 3B. However, 3 of 4 players were running full or partial Spirit decks. Between the 4 of us we easily canceled 7 or more treacheries, so some of the really nasty stuff we avoided. The other card that makes this quest much easier is Thror's key for those culvert/sewer locations that bring out more enemies. This quest really just demands having a balance of all the usual abilities---sentinel + ranged, and a sizable dose of healing. 

One other thing---I don't know if we did it right or not, but there are a couple of 2 progress locations that you can get rid of using Asfaloth during the refresh phase action window that doesn't trigger the nasty effect. I'd rate the difficulty at about 6 out of 10. We were never really comfortable the entire game, but we were never really in danger of losing either. 

One other thing---I don't know if we did it right or not, but there are a couple of 2 progress locations that you can get rid of using Asfaloth during the refresh phase action window that doesn't trigger the nasty effect. I'd rate the difficulty at about 6 out of 10. We were never really comfortable the entire game, but we were never really in danger of losing either. 

There's one location with a wizardry effect that makes you exhaust characters.  Is that what you're thinking of?  If you used Asfaloth during the Refresh phase, it would have to be *after* characters were readied, as there is no action window in the Refresh phase before that.  So any characters exhausted by the wizardry effect would remain exhausted through the following round.

There's one location with a wizardry effect that makes you exhaust characters.  Is that what you're thinking of?  If you used Asfaloth during the Refresh phase, it would have to be *after* characters were readied, as there is no action window in the Refresh phase before that.  So any characters exhausted by the wizardry effect would remain exhausted through the following round.

I think he's talking about Helm's Deep (specifically Postern Door). Helm's Gate is also good to use Asfaloth on, although it's 2 quest points.

Edited by Ecthelion III

Definitely add Sprifindel to that list.  I think he is probs the most powerful hero in the game with light.  ;)