Sign in to follow this  
RookieOne

Slightly off topic, need to buy a 'gaming' table

Hi guys,

Just started playing Armada with my friend recently as we have one core set but we're looking to get another to get a base set of fleets going. Trouble is, my table is only 3x3. I could feasibly get a second table but it would need to be fold-able as I live in a flat and don't really have space for a 6x3 all the time. 

My question is, do any of you have the same problem and if you do, are there any specific tables you could recommend. Easy to fold, doesn't move around too much that sort of thing. Something you'd use at a car boot sale (I'm not sure if that's a thing in America, I wouldn't know what the equivalent was) to display your wares?

I know it's a bit of a random question but any help would be greatly appreciated!

I built my own years ago.  I bought a cheap table from Home Depot along with a 4x8 sheet of plywood.  I screwed the table to the bottom of the plywood.

I curved the corners and then covered the plywood with some kind of felt material from Wal-mart.  Cost me about $80 when it was all said and done.  Bam a 4x8 folding game table. 

I did the same as Kage13 did and made my own.

It doesn't cost a lot, but may require that you have access to a tablesaw, at the least you'll need some power tools like drills and the like.

What I'd recommend for someone without a lot of space is a table topper. Something you can put on top of a table and play on, then store in a closet or behind a couch when you're not using it.

For that what you'd need is a 6x3 sheet of hardboard, but better if it's 6x4 so you have room for cards and such. Then glue some sort of black felt to the top. Lastly some sort of 3x3 frame that would fit over your current table. That way you could put it on top the table, and you'd have a box that fits around the edges of the table. That should keep it nicely stable while playing.

If you want to go the folding table option, I searched high and low and could not find any single tables big enough. I ended up getting a pair of these 6' folding tables. The length is great, and while the combined width is a wee bit more than I would have liked, it leaves plenty of room for ship cards and such while still leaving the center of the play area within easy reach.

Something you'd use at a car boot sale (I'm not sure if that's a thing in America, I wouldn't know what the equivalent was) to display your wares?

Sorry it doesn't answer your question, but I like learning cross cultural things like this (especially between the US and UK, where things are so similar yet different).  I have never heard of a car boot sale.  I'm not sure we have exactly the same thing in the US, but it sounds similar to what we call a garage sale.  You put up signs around the neighborhood and invite people over to your garage where you've set up tables full of all the crap you'd like to get rid of, and try to sell it to them for dirt cheap.

I picked up a folding table at CostCo, then tossed two 4x4 pieces of plywood on it side by side

Something you'd use at a car boot sale (I'm not sure if that's a thing in America, I wouldn't know what the equivalent was) to display your wares?

Sorry it doesn't answer your question, but I like learning cross cultural things like this (especially between the US and UK, where things are so similar yet different).  I have never heard of a car boot sale.  I'm not sure we have exactly the same thing in the US, but it sounds similar to what we call a garage sale.  You put up signs around the neighborhood and invite people over to your garage where you've set up tables full of all the crap you'd like to get rid of, and try to sell it to them for dirt cheap.

It is more like an american style flea market in some ways.

Edit : Here ya go :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_boot_sale 

Edited by JustinKase

The "do it yourself" store option is a good one.

Here in the US, the standard size for plywood sheet is 4' X 8'.  Lowes and Home Depot will cut that down to make it manageable to get it home.  We typically use a thinner stock -- which is a lot lighter.  this can be reinforced with 1" lath banding, screwed underneath the edges.

I already had all the tools -- saw, cordless drill, countersink bits, etc.  But I got two 4' X 8' sheets, the lath, 2X4's and saw horse brackets.  Enough to make two 4X8 tables, all for less than $80.

Granted, the saw horse tables are in my basement game room :)  For your flat, one of these can fold up and be hidden behind the sofa.

Depending on how much you are willing to shell out for one 20.00 to 800.00...My Executive secretary got me a 72 " bumper pool table ; came with a hard cover top and I gutted out the bumpers to use inside for 3x3...There are butterfly leaf tables ; so you can expand to use for gaming or dining...These are really nice at least the heavy ones are...

Gravis,

It's sort of the same, but you put all of your junk into the trunk of your car (or boot as we call them over here) drive to a field with lots of other people who have done the same, chuck a blanket or trestle table out with all your stuff on and sell it. sort of like a group garage sale!

Hi guys,

Just started playing Armada with my friend recently as we have one core set but we're looking to get another to get a base set of fleets going. Trouble is, my table is only 3x3. I could feasibly get a second table but it would need to be fold-able as I live in a flat and don't really have space for a 6x3 all the time. 

My question is, do any of you have the same problem and if you do, are there any specific tables you could recommend. Easy to fold, doesn't move around too much that sort of thing. Something you'd use at a car boot sale (I'm not sure if that's a thing in America, I wouldn't know what the equivalent was) to display your wares?

I know it's a bit of a random question but any help would be greatly appreciated!

RookieOne,

Whereabouts in the UK are you? If you're in the Midlands somewhere i'm happy to help you out with the use of my tablesaw, garage space etc to get something put together?

D

I prefer using the Sultan for my gaming needs

But a folding plastic table (check camping supplies) and an MDF board on top can work in a pinch.

One of the things i did was to glue two 1/2 inch thick "runners" on the edges and chiseled out an inch diameter hold to the "middle" board.   Next i used a long bold with inch wide washers, and a wingnut and used a piece of plywood to affix the MDF board to the Table. takes me about 5 minutes to take on or off the "GAMING BOARD" and with a full sheet of MDF i was able to comfortably get 12+ people around the table for a party game.

So I have a roughly 54"x54" dining room table in my condo, and I have been thinking that my best option (since I search for folding tables, as others have mentioned, and just couldn't find anything the right size in and of itself).  I was looking at just making something that I can lay over my table, and then slide under a bed or something when not in use.  Are there any suggestions on what material to use from those more familiar?  I would probably take a 4'x8' piece and have it cut to 4'x6', so that there was still room on the long edged for cards and the like.  Is MDF good, or plywood better?  Maybe there is another material I am not considering?  And what thickness should I be looking at?  With the size of my table, there won't be much overhang (9" on either long side, and none on the short sides), so maybe something thin will be good enough to save on weight?

Is MDF good, or plywood better?  Maybe there is another material I am not considering?  And what thickness should I be looking at?

Here's what I'd do. I say this based on a table topper I built.

First off get 1/8 in thick 4x8ft MDF this is a link to Homedepot but any big lumber store will have it. It's $7.50 for that sheet.

Then get some black felt or something from Walmart, you can pick up 2 yards of it for like $3. My table is 6x4 foot and 2 yards was enough to cover it with just a little overhang. Also get something to put on the bottom of the table, something so you won't scratch your dining room table up.

Cut it to 4x6 foot and you are good to go. On mine I put a white line 6 inches from each of the long edges to mark out a 3x6 area.

Edited by VanorDM

Is MDF good, or plywood better?  Maybe there is another material I am not considering?  And what thickness should I be looking at?

Here's what I'd do. I say this based on a table topper I built.First off get 1/8 in thick 4x8ft MDF this is a link to Homedepot but any big lumber store will have it. It's $7.50 for that sheet.Then get some black felt or something from Walmart, you can pick up 2 yards of it for like $3. My table is 6x4 foot and 2 yards was enough to cover it with just a little overhang. Also get something to put on the bottom of the table, something so you won't scratch your dining room table up.Cut it to 4x6 foot and you are good to go. On mine I put a white line 6 inches from each of the long edges to mark out a 3x6 area.

This material is great, but flexible. It will need to be reinforced if it is overhanging what it is being placed on.

Here's what I'd do. I say this based on a table topper I built.First off get 1/8 in thick 4x8ft MDF this is a link to Homedepot but any big lumber store will have it. It's $7.50 for that sheet.Then get some black felt or something from Walmart, you can pick up 2 yards of it for like $3. My table is 6x4 foot and 2 yards was enough to cover it with just a little overhang. Also get something to put on the bottom of the table, something so you won't scratch your dining room table up.Cut it to 4x6 foot and you are good to go. On mine I put a white line 6 inches from each of the long edges to mark out a 3x6 area.

This material is great, but flexible. It will need to be reinforced if it is overhanging what it is being placed on.

That was one of the things I was wondering about.  I mean, my table is 54x54, so a 48x72 board will only overhang by 9" on either long side, so maybe flexion at the ends will be negligible?  I could also just double the thickness, but this would pretty much double the weight, which I think I want to keep down.  That's one reason why I was asking about material types and thickness, and seeing what others had used.

It will need to be reinforced if it is overhanging what it is being placed on.

It should only need reinforcement if it's overlapping by a lot. 9" shouldn't be enough to cause any issues. If it does it's fairly easy to fix with a couple 1x4's making a frame that will rest on the table. Just need to make sure and pad the frame so it doesn't damage the table.

It will need to be reinforced if it is overhanging what it is being placed on.

It should only need reinforcement if it's overlapping by a lot. 9" shouldn't be enough to cause any issues. If it does it's fairly easy to fix with a couple 1x4's making a frame that will rest on the table. Just need to make sure and pad the frame so it doesn't damage the table.

I used this for my table topper. This type of board is very easy to bend. Leaving it in one large piece will help, but any bumps or leans on the part that overhangs will cause the board to flex and rise in the center.

I cut mine into sections and framed it out with 2x2s. Just make sure you use straight pieces for your frame. The tempered hardboard will follow the bends on the frame.

Hi guys,

RookieOne,

Whereabouts in the UK are you? If you're in the Midlands somewhere i'm happy to help you out with the use of my tablesaw, garage space etc to get something put together?

D

That would be amazing, but alas I'm based down in the South East in Surrey, although I'm sure to our overseas friends that distance is minute! I do have two further questions now, would I need to put something across a folding picnic like table if it was the right size and have you ever found that having your cards on the actual gaming board affect gameplay too much?

All of the advice has been greatly appreciated and very useful so thanks so far!

This thread go me thinking, I built my table for this game using three pieces of 6x1200x600mm MDF and glued on a 3x900x600mm board with felt glued to it. Now, if I turn that over and glue some green felt to that I can protect my dining table and play a land based miniatures game on the reverse side which would end up being 1200x1800mm.

I would go for a folding billiards / pool table if you have the cash.  you can get them in 7'x3'6", and more rarely in 8'x4'.  My friends and I used to do miniatures and RPG gaming on my parents 8'x4' table years ago when I was still living at home and trust me, they are great for gaming!  The bumpers around the edge of the table really help reduce stray dice and miniatures taking the "plunge of death" off the table onto the floor!  Plus unlike a lot of tables, they are high enough to stand comfortably around with less bending over, perfect to help prevent a sore back from marathon 8 hour gaming sessions.