Sign in to follow this  
Orgapurius0907

The Hound's Tooth

@Teh HOBO:

...without delving in too deep about religion or Christianity, 666 ought to have no particular significance to literate Christians. In context it's code for "Emperor Nero", who's been dead long enough for people to stop being afraid of him.

I... what? Lol at "literate christians".

"Literate Christians" is possibly the wrong way to put it; I mean Christians who understand that the Bible, whatever additional value you place on it, is a collection of literary works.

Rev 13:18 "This calls for wisdom. Let the person who has insight calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man. That number is 666." It's not Nero friend. "Man" refers to mankind.

There are lots of places where "man" stands in for "mankind" in English translations of the Bible, and it's not impossible here. The Greek word "anthropou", however--except where it appears as part of the construction Son of Man--typically means "of a man" or "of the man". Accordingly, it's unlikely that the author of Revelations meant "mankind", here. He's probably talking about a specific person.

6 is a symbolically imperfect number in the bible, it's repeated three times to underscore significance(another number used often in the bible).

Modern-day Biblical numerology is... let's say, not a widely respected field.

@ryanabt:

Also a Christian here and it doesn't bother me at all. Also, "Literate Christians" would not recognize 666 as referring to Nero. Those who study Hebrew number symbolism don't agree on the meaning & in general can make the numbers mean almost anything.

Yes, but the literary context strongly implies that the author is alluding to a particular secular/legal authority, and the historical context implies that the authority in question is Roman. And since when Revelations was written Nero was either in power or had been dead for only about thirty years (with his name continuing as a stand-in for persecution and other abuses of power), the identification of Nero Caesar as the (first) beast of Revelations is on pretty solid ground.

Below is what the 666 on the wrist and head POSSIBLY means...

The number on the head and wrist is a reference to God's commandments being on the minds and deeds, hearts and soul of the People of God (Deuteronomy 6:8 & 11:18). Hence, if 666 is the beasts number and it is saying that those who follow him will have evil in their hearts and minds.

Or it's talking about the fact that Roman coinage, which literally bore the mark ("charagma", meaning an engraving or impression) of the beast (remember, coinage minted under Nero is still in circulation when Revelations is composed), was a constant and omnipresent reminder of the state's persecution of 1st-century Christians.

The two possibilities aren't mutually exclusive, of course, and--since Revelations is a literary work--it's likely the author is alluding both to contemporary events and to the essential conflict (as early Christians saw it) between the requirements of religion (the "mark" of God on His followers) and the secular political authority (the mark of the beast).

Way too much religion this thread...

Agreed, and I'm done. Anyone who's interested in continuing the conversation can PM me.

Edited by Vorpal Sword

Some say, it's as ugly as sin; some say, truly irresistably Awesome. What's your take on this one?

Also, Not delving in too deep about religion or Christianity here but, Does anyone get uncomfortable with this ship's model name? I mean, you guys know what those numbers represent. Could the maker of Starwars had actually intentionally did that in purpose? Your thoughts, do post about it.

I do want to address to 666 serial

not because it's sacrilegious or anything, but because it made me roll my eyes

it's just...******* lame. It's like an amateur trying to make the already sinister figure of bossk even "sinsisterer"

Basically, it's an Order 66 moment. Could you imagine if it had been called Order 666? It's positive proof that the prequels could have been worse

"Hound's Tooth" is arguably strange (I thought Boosk was a dino-man :P) but it's a crapton more original and captures the scummy, savage side of the character far better than the ship's technical designation. There is far more character in that title than any attempt to turn 666 into anything other than a lazy reference, imo.

Edited by ficklegreendice

Some say, it's as ugly as sin; some say, truly irresistably Awesome. What's your take on this one?

Also, Not delving in too deep about religion or Christianity here but, Does anyone get uncomfortable with this ship's model name? I mean, you guys know what those numbers represent. Could the maker of Starwars had actually intentionally did that in purpose? Your thoughts, do post about it.

I do want to address to 666 serial

not because it's sacrilegious or anything, but because it made me roll my eyes

it's just...******* lame. It's like an amateur trying to make the already sinister figure of bossk even "sinsisterer"

Basically, it's an Order 66 moment. Could you imagine if it had been called Order 666? It's positive proof that the prequels could have been worse

Eh. One mans subtlety is another man's marching band. It's not bad writing. Just not to your taste.

But Order 666 doesn't roll off the tongue well.

I figure something needed the numerical distinction. Might as well be Bossk's ship.

Remember about 150 years of cultural shift(relative to the time before Star Wars) has gone on since Star Wars came out.

Way too much religion this thread.  The ship has been called a YV-666 since the 1990s.  Any complaints about the name should directed towards Kathy Tyers, author of the short story about Bossk in Tales of the Bounty Hunters, that's the first appearance.  FWIW, she's a Christian science fiction author, so I think everybody can take a deep breath.

I am more concerned about how turrible the Hound's Tooth dial is going to be.  The essential guides say the Hound's Tooth was maneuverable for a light freighter, but with all the possible upgrades and the 180 firing arc, I feel like there has to be some drawback to the ship.

This is what im worried about as well. Based on the stats and pts cost we can see, Bossk seems like a really really powerful ship/pilot. The dial should be similar to the YT-2400 at the very least.

However, with a good dial, the ship is gonna be a beast, so I doubt it will be that great.

I concur. I think it will have an abysmal dial, and the Maneuvering Fins mod will exist solely for the purpose of alleviating that problem (at the opportunity cost of locking you out of Engine Upgrade or other mods).

My guess would be something like,

1-straight, 2-straight (green)

1-bank, 3-straight (white)

2-bank, 3-hard (red)

Or maybe even no hard turns at all!

The 180 degree arc and the YV-666-only Maneuvering Fins mod have me convinced that the stock freighter is probably going to move like a stoned Bantha.

I concur. I think it will have an abysmal dial, and the Maneuvering Fins mod will exist solely for the purpose of alleviating that problem (at the opportunity cost of locking you out of Engine Upgrade or other mods).

2-bank, 3-hard (red)

The 180 degree arc and the YV-666-only Maneuvering Fins mod have me convinced that the stock freighter is probably going to move like a stoned Bantha.

That's entirely plausible, and yet another reason I think Expert Handling is going to be a pretty useful go-to EPT for Bossk (especially if you use a Cannon).

Edit: the spoiler shot of the YV expansion shows the YV dial on a white 2-Bank. So, dial probably isn't all that bad.

Edited by Tsiegtiez

Hell, I'd take it even with the shuttle dial

again: S.o.t & outlaw tech :P

then again, just having the 180 "arc" would make it usable even with the shuttle dial, imo

Meh I don't see this being particularly useful. He can't shed stress like Farlander, so he won't be using SOT every turn.

Gunner and Tactician (180 degree stress zone, yes plz) seem like strong choices for the crew slots, regardless of the rest of the build. I think you're going to see a lot of Bossk variations if he's the only way to get an EPT slot on the 'Tooth. Hopefully the other pilots' abilities are amazing to make up for the lack of EPT.

Lightning Reflexes might also be a strong choice if the dial lacks a K-turn (I hope it comes with one though). Assuming this Scum Only EPT rotates your ship 180 degrees and adds a stress after executing the manoeuvre, then this will allow him to turn around. Lightning Reflexes, Inertial Dampeners, Maneuvering Fins, etc. could make the ship very flexible in its movement, even without the usual suspects of Expert Handling/Engine Upgrade.

Edited by Immaterium Press

Looking at the Kihraxz preview, it appears to be Scum Only but not Small Ship only.

The partially viewable text seems to suggest after executing (or possibly revealing, but I doubt it) a white or green manoeuvre, you may discard the EPT to rotate your ship 180 degrees then take a stress token after the check stress step.

So it's one use only, which helps to keep it under control.

The precise interactions of Maneuvering Fins, Inertial Dampeners, Lightning Reflexes etc. will be interesting, but I think they will make the S&V ships very slippery.

Since these none of these moves are red, you can do these funky abilities while stressed... but they won't trigger Outlaw Tech (which never really seems like that good of an upgrade IMO).

The precise interactions of Maneuvering Fins, Inertial Dampeners, Lightning Reflexes etc. will be interesting, but I think they will make the S&V ships very slippery.

Since these none of these moves are red, you can do these funky abilities while stressed... but they won't trigger Outlaw Tech (which never really seems like that good of an upgrade IMO).

Outlaw Tech is an incredible insurance policy. Even Firesprays would rather K-Turn occasionally, and the Tech has your back. Depends on the rest of the kit; Scum Kath with Stay on Target is a pretty straightforward way to actually use red maneuvers, and it gets to keep things in the rear arc for that extra die, and you get dice mitigation with that Focus. 

He's got his uses for sure, although he's much more niche-use than say the K4.

This is what im worried about as well. Based on the stats and pts cost we can see, Bossk seems like a really really powerful ship/pilot. The dial should be similar to the YT-2400 at the very least.  However, with a good dial, the ship is gonna be a beast, so I doubt it will be that great.

The YT-2400 has one of if not the best dial in the game, certainly the best large base ship dial, so saying the Hound's Tooth should be similar to the YT-2400 at least is a bit much.

I'd expect a Decimator-like dial, but with some red thrown in on the faster maneuvers.

Actually, the Aggressor has a significantly better dial as far as large ships go. 

Plus I would expect the dial to be slightly better (or at least equal) than ships with turrets, as being able to maneuver will matter much more without the ability to fire 360o.

This is what im worried about as well. Based on the stats and pts cost we can see, Bossk seems like a really really powerful ship/pilot. The dial should be similar to the YT-2400 at the very least.  However, with a good dial, the ship is gonna be a beast, so I doubt it will be that great.

The YT-2400 has one of if not the best dial in the game, certainly the best large base ship dial, so saying the Hound's Tooth should be similar to the YT-2400 at least is a bit much.

I'd expect a Decimator-like dial, but with some red thrown in on the faster maneuvers.

Actually, the Aggressor has a significantly better dial as far as large ships go. 

Plus I would expect the dial to be slightly better (or at least equal) than ships with turrets, as being able to maneuver will matter much more without the ability to fire 360o.

eh...the Aggressor dial is about the same unless you're counting increased green maneuvers

as for the somethingsomething-666, I highly doubt it's going to have a better dial than turret ships as the whole "arced ships need a better dial than turret ships" is not really an established rule (re: the shuttle and the firespray) even though it makes complete sense <_<

Hell, in most cases it's the flipping opposite (on the large base) which is more than a little bit baffling imo. Interestingly enough, though, I can definitely see the gameplay case for the YT-2400 (garbage primary weapon for cost, arc-locked cannon, or expensive title + HLC deadzone...admittedly mangler ***** it up a bit)

The bargain prices on the somethingsomething-666 (naked Bossk runs you as much as a naked Mandalorian) lead me to believe the dial isn't going to be the bee's knees.

The S.o.T and outlaw tech combo might even be a hint hint the the dial is pretty limiting (as in "we're sorry this dial sucks, so have a way to circumvent it with no extra charge ~FFG")

2-bank, 3-hard (red)

That's entirely plausible, and yet another reason I think Expert Handling is going to be a pretty useful go-to EPT for Bossk (especially if you use a Cannon).

Edit: the spoiler shot of the YV expansion shows the YV dial on a white 2-Bank. So, dial probably isn't all that bad.

Good spot. I still think it might throw a curveball like "no hard turns" though.

The bargain prices on the somethingsomething-666 (naked Bossk runs you as much as a naked Mandalorian) lead me to believe the dial isn't going to be the bee's knees.

That's what I'm thinking too.

All the 3-dice turrets pay a price for that ability, even if some people think they're still overly powerful/too cheap. They tend to come in at around 40 points, bare-bones (the absolute cheapest would be a Fringer w/Mangler, Outrider, and no crew at 39).

Since Bossk is 35 and we can observe two other named pilots in the card spread, we have to assume that the generic YV-666 will cost no more than 32 points.

If it's that cheap and has a decent dial then I'd be worried about triple YV's becoming a problem. That's a lot of HP, with decent attack dice and the big arcs.

So there almost has to be some drawback we've not seen yet. Hence, an awful dial.

Maybe they'll go the ORS route and give the generic YV's a 2-dice attack, but that could lead to some weirdness too... they'd have to be priced at around 22-25 points to reflect the margin between the ORS and the named YT-1300s, and that seems way too low. You could do triples with Manglers and still have plenty of points to spare.

2-bank, 3-hard (red)

Good spot. I still think it might throw a curveball like "no hard turns" though.

All the 3-dice turrets pay a price for that ability, even if some people think they're still overly powerful/too cheap. They tend to come in at around 40 points, bare-bones (the absolute cheapest would be a Fringer w/Mangler, Outrider, and no crew at 39).

Since Bossk is 35 and we can observe two other named pilots in the card spread, we have to assume that the generic YV-666 will cost no more than 32 points.

If it's that cheap and has a decent dial then I'd be worried about triple YV's becoming a problem. That's a lot of HP, with decent attack dice and the big arcs.

So there almost has to be some drawback we've not seen yet. Hence, an awful dial.

Maybe they'll go the ORS route and give the generic YV's a 2-dice attack, but that could lead to some weirdness too... they'd have to be priced at around 22-25 points to reflect the margin between the ORS and the named YT-1300s, and that seems way too low. You could do triples with Manglers and still have plenty of points to spare.

Well, again, the preview shot shows a 3 ATK on all pilots. The three crew are a definite boon, but much like the Firespray I feel the auxiliary arc(s) are not weighted the same as a full-on turret primary. Dial is the obvious holdback here, but then again Bossk is the only pilot with an EPT so the other pilots might have a discount there. Hmm. Interesting! FFG might have weighted the dial, HT Title, and Maneuvering Fins to accommodate those expected add-ons.

2-bank, 3-hard (red)

I would guess average dial.

The stat difference between the 666 and a Shuttle isn't huge. The alt-arc makes up for some of it. But not all.

If it has a firespray dial or a little worse the ship will be just fine.

It's not like Triple firesprays is all that bad.

Edited by Aminar

Good points all around.

I rarely get to see the Shuttle on the table, and I suck at using Firesprays (to the point that it's making me distinctly value the 180 arc above the rear arc).

Both ships are rare because they're difficult to fly (both normally and because the named imperials are kinda weaksauce :P though maybe Mangler Kath has promise). Firesprays are making a bit of a resurgence with the cool new scum pilots ^_^

still, large base turrets are stupid easy to use in comparison to any other large ship because the advantage just spits on  the choices large ships sometimes have to make between running/dodging and shooting, so you'll probably see them pop up in the majority of lists