Sign in to follow this  
Orgapurius0907

The Hound's Tooth

Some say, it's as ugly as sin; some say, truly irresistably Awesome. What's your take on this one?

Also, Not delving in too deep about religion or Christianity here but, Does anyone get uncomfortable with this ship's model name? I mean, you guys know what those numbers represent. Could the maker of Starwars had actually intentionally did that in purpose? Your thoughts, do post about it.

Some say, it's as ugly as sin; some say, truly irresistably Awesome. What's your take on this one?

Also, Not delving in too deep about religion or Christianity here but, Does anyone get uncomfortable with this ship's model name? I mean, you guys know what those numbers represent. Could the maker of Starwars had actually intentionally did that in purpose? Your thoughts, do post about it.

Two points.

First, without delving in too deep about religion or Christianity, 666 ought to have no particular significance to literate Christians. In context it's code for "Emperor Nero", who's been dead long enough for people to stop being afraid of him.

Second, anyone who's uncomfortable with the Hound's Tooth ought to stop and consider that Anakin's massacre of the children at the Jedi Temple doesn't even make it into the top three war crimes committed on-screen in the two film trilogies. If you can get past the fact that the game glorifies violence and is chock full of mass murderers and war criminals, then the fact that a ship is designated YV-666 shouldn't really be a hurdle for you.

I think my initial reaction to it was that it looked ugly (I had no knowledge of the ship prior to hearing the rumour it was coming for X Wing, then I looked it up) but like every ship that FFG it has grown on me and now I can't wait to get hold of one.  Much like the IG in that respect - utterly hated it when it was announced and then when I got to know more about it, fell in love.

I had a similar experience with the Mon Cal ships for Wave 2 of Armada yesterday.  Basically I think I need to stop reading the FFG articles if I ever want to stand a chance of not spending all my cash on X Wing and Armada :P

Two points.

First, without delving in too deep about religion or Christianity, 666 ought to have no particular significance to literate Christians. In context it's code for "Emperor Nero", who's been dead long enough for people to stop being afraid of him.

Second, anyone who's uncomfortable with the Hound's Tooth ought to stop and consider that Anakin's massacre of the children at the Jedi Temple doesn't even make it into the top three war crimes committed on-screen in the two film trilogies. If you can get past the fact that the game glorifies violence and is chock full of mass murderers and war criminals, then the fact that a ship is designated YV-666 shouldn't really be a hurdle for you.

I... what? Lol at "literate christians". Rev 13:18 "This calls for wisdom. Let the person who has insight calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man. That number is 666." It's not Nero friend. "Man" refers to mankind. 6 is a symbolically imperfect number in the bible, it's repeated three times to underscore significance(another number used often in the bible). So, biblically, YV-666 would be "significantly imperfect", which may be relevant when the dial is revealed...

On topic, it looks like what it's supposed to be, a space freighter. I just want dekotora to be a thing with YV repaints.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dekotora for the uninitiated.

Number of the Bossk: Calculation, HLC, Recon Spec, K4, Hounds Tooth, Engine and possibly outlaw tech if the dial has lotsa red. 4-5 hits almost guaranteed every shot.

Edited by Teh HOBO

I hoped for this ship the moment they announced wave 6 and it topped my list of predictions prior to wave 7's announcement. When it got revealed at Celebration Anahiem I whooped pretty loudly and when I saw the model at the FFG booth on the exhibitors floor? Well lets just say I think they may still be cleaning my fingerprints off the glass display case. Now how to make it work with Boba?

1) I first saw the Hound's Tooth as a child in the SW:CCG days. Back then, I wasn't old enough to form my own opinions or think critically about aesthetics and just thought everything from Star Wars was cool. So to me, I still maintain my first impression that this ship looks awesome. Plus, Bossk was my favorite character back then, so I was even more predisposed to love this ship. Like the post above, I was pretty excited to see it at SWCVII and had to keep coming back to the FFG booth to look at it in its display case (but I kept my fingerprints to myself  ^_^ ).

2) I am a Christian and I am not uncomfortable with the freighter name of YV-666. I see it as a nod to the Bible as a way to describe how evil Bossk is and how unpleasant the Hound's Tooth is, but I think its literary usage stops there.

Edited by Budgernaut

I think the Hound's Tooth is going to have the worst dial in the game yet, worse than the Shuttle.  No 0 maneuver, pretty much the same dial otherwise, with more red, likely at the 3-straight, maybe even the 2-banks.  A big lumbering ship.  That said, I still think it'll be quite formidable with its firing arc and three crew upgrade slots.  There's too many possibilities for customizing the ship into a real heavy hitter; the dial has to provide some limitations.

Also a Christian here and it doesn't bother me at all. Also, "Literate Christians" would not recognize 666 as referring to Nero. Those who study Hebrew number symbolism don't agree on the meaning & in general can make the numbers mean almost anything.

Below is what the 666 on the wrist and head POSSIBLY means...

The number on the head and wrist is a reference to God's commandments being on the minds and deeds, hearts and soul of the People of God (Deuteronomy 6:8 & 11:18). Hence, if 666 is the beasts number and it is saying that those who follow him will have evil in their hearts and minds.

Edited by ryanabt

Way too much religion this thread.  The ship has been called a YV-666 since the 1990s.  Any complaints about the name should directed towards Kathy Tyers, author of the short story about Bossk in Tales of the Bounty Hunters, that's the first appearance.  FWIW, she's a Christian science fiction author, so I think everybody can take a deep breath.

I am more concerned about how turrible the Hound's Tooth dial is going to be.  The essential guides say the Hound's Tooth was maneuverable for a light freighter, but with all the possible upgrades and the 180 firing arc, I feel like there has to be some drawback to the ship.

Edited by Scummy

Way too much religion this thread.  The ship has been called a YV-666 since the 1990s.  Any complaints about the name should directed towards Kathy Tyers, author of the short story about Bossk in Tales of the Bounty Hunters, that's the first appearance.  FWIW, she's a Christian science fiction author, so I think everybody can take a deep breath.

I am more concerned about how turrible the Hound's Tooth dial is going to be.  The essential guides say the Hound's Tooth was maneuverable for a light freighter, but with all the possible upgrades and the 180 firing arc, I feel like there has to be some drawback to the ship.

This is what im worried about as well. Based on the stats and pts cost we can see, Bossk seems like a really really powerful ship/pilot. The dial should be similar to the YT-2400 at the very least.

However, with a good dial, the ship is gonna be a beast, so I doubt it will be that great.

This is what im worried about as well. Based on the stats and pts cost we can see, Bossk seems like a really really powerful ship/pilot. The dial should be similar to the YT-2400 at the very least.  However, with a good dial, the ship is gonna be a beast, so I doubt it will be that great.

The YT-2400 has one of if not the best dial in the game, certainly the best large base ship dial, so saying the Hound's Tooth should be similar to the YT-2400 at least is a bit much.

I'd expect a Decimator-like dial, but with some red thrown in on the faster maneuvers.

My girlfriend says it looks like a flying Choc Ice. I'm inclined to agree.

Good call.  Henceforth, let this proud vessel be known as the YV-VerticalChocIce

Edited by FTS Gecko

I see the dial being like the decimator, good but no K-turns or 1-turns. I can't see this thing K-turning.

I foresee lots of green 1's and not much else. Deci's didn't get green 1-banks thanks to Oink.

I think it will have a decent dial, though I imagine it's very slow in terms of raw speed, I imagine like a Defender it's capable of taking turns quite nicely, though I can actually imagine it only having 1 banks, needing to actually take the manovuring fins to get any better then that.

That being said; considering it isn't a turreted ship I wouldn't want to see it's dial being utterly terrible. Just a ship that can plod along.