Sign in to follow this  
Martin Brody

To Buy 2 Armada Starter Sets or To Not

Hello All,

So I bought the Armada Starter when it came out and have played a few games with it, but didn’t want to buy a second because I am planning on buying all of the ships once wave 1 comes out because of the additional cards.  I see that CoolStuffInc has the starter on a one day sale today for cheap and I was wondering do you think, because I am planning on buying all of wave 1 anyway, that a second box would be a waste?  I was going to pick up an additional range ruler and more dice, but if I get a starter I won’t need to so some additional savings there.  For people who have played more games or larger point games do you see a point when you would run 3 Victory Star Destroyers or 3 of either of the Rebel ships at 300 points? 

Thanks for any help you can provide,

So obviously my advice is a little late, but basically this morning I was in the same boat as you. I wasn't originally planning on buying a second core set, but I was going to get an extra maneuver tool and dice pack. Then I heard about Cool Stuff's sale.

After some debating and calculating, I figured that since I was already going to be getting the extra dice and maneuver tool, the cost of the rest of the components would come to roughly US$40. And I asked myself, would I be willing to pay $40 for an extra Victory SD, Nebulon B, CR90, and a bunch of X-wing and TIE fighter squadrons? Why yes, yes I would.

I don't know that my third Victory SD (I've got Wave 1 pre-ordered) will see much action, but I'm sure the rebel ships will see plenty of use.

Too late and wrong country to benefit from the Cool Stuff sale (I've already been stung on import taxes this year) but I would say wholeheartedly yes.  I've been wavering on this one for a few weeks and like you I intend to buy at least one of everything in Wave 1, but a second Core is still well worth having, from the standpoint of the extra ships and cards, to say nothing of the spare manouever tol (the only weak spot of the core set) the extra dice and counters etc.

Too late and wrong country to benefit from the Cool Stuff sale (I've already been stung on import taxes this year) but I would say wholeheartedly yes.  I've been wavering on this one for a few weeks and like you I intend to buy at least one of everything in Wave 1, but a second Core is still well worth having, from the standpoint of the extra ships and cards, to say nothing of the spare manouever tol (the only weak spot of the core set) the extra dice and counters etc.

Does yours click well? I must have failed with mine on assembly, mine clicks great at speeds 3 and 4 but not so much on the smaller speeds. I'm also extremely worried that it will completely break at some point. I am also considering a second Core set, but I couldn't take advantage of the CSI sale since I'm not in the US.

Does yours click well? I must have failed with mine on assembly, mine clicks great at speeds 3 and 4 but not so much on the smaller speeds. I'm also extremely worried that it will completely break at some point. I am also considering a second Core set, but I couldn't take advantage of the CSI sale since I'm not in the US.

No. I don't think, talking to others who have bought it, that it ever clicks well.  It seems to be quite poorly made to be honest, which is a shock given FFG's general levels of quality in their components.  Over time, the 'nubs' that manage the clicking will wear out (and I imagine this will happen fairly quickly tbh).  I suspect that the fact it is referred to as the 'proprietary movement tool' points to this being part of the learning experience that they have had with X Wing, and that the idea was partly to stop third party templates flooding the market.  I can appreciate the idea, but the execution isn't brilliant.

The other issue I noted when playing my first game is that it is almost impossible to keep the darned thing absolutely straight if one is looking to move their ship straight forwards.  I suspect it is going to be difficult to keep things strictly accurate at Tourney level, and I wonder how that will affect the popularity of it as a tourney game as compared to X Wing.

No. I don't think, talking to others who have bought it, that it ever clicks well.  It seems to be quite poorly made to be honest, which is a shock given FFG's general levels of quality in their components.  Over time, the 'nubs' that manage the clicking will wear out (and I imagine this will happen fairly quickly tbh).  I suspect that the fact it is referred to as the 'proprietary movement tool' points to this being part of the learning experience that they have had with X Wing, and that the idea was partly to stop third party templates flooding the market.  I can appreciate the idea, but the execution isn't brilliant.

The other issue I noted when playing my first game is that it is almost impossible to keep the darned thing absolutely straight if one is looking to move their ship straight forwards.  I suspect it is going to be difficult to keep things strictly accurate at Tourney level, and I wonder how that will affect the popularity of it as a tourney game as compared to X Wing.

I imagine they will cave and allow third-party movement tools. This was my fear from the reveal at GenCon, it seemed to be flimsy all along. Honestly I'm not extremely happy about the dice either. They seem to be lower quality than the X-wing dice, and many of those I have imploded faces (not many are visible, since the symbols are quite large). Build quality is superb for the squadron and ship stands on the other hand.

I imagine they will cave and allow third-party movement tools. This was my fear from the reveal at GenCon, it seemed to be flimsy all along. Honestly I'm not extremely happy about the dice either. They seem to be lower quality than the X-wing dice, and many of those I have imploded faces (not many are visible, since the symbols are quite large). Build quality is superb for the squadron and ship stands on the other hand.

Hmmm - I actually felt that the dice were nicer than X wing ones tbh.  To each their own I guess.

I think that they actually have a TM on the Movement Tool so I will be surprised frankly if they do allow third party ones, but we shall see.

And yes, the squadron stuff is excellent.  The standout for me (oddly) was the speed dials for the capital ships - they are much easier to put together and work much more smoothly than X Wing dials. 

Hmmm - I actually felt that the dice were nicer than X wing ones tbh.  To each their own I guess.

I think that they actually have a TM on the Movement Tool so I will be surprised frankly if they do allow third party ones, but we shall see.

And yes, the squadron stuff is excellent.  The standout for me (oddly) was the speed dials for the capital ships - they are much easier to put together and work much more smoothly than X Wing dials. 

I also dislike the sharp corners of these dice. As you said, in this case it's a matter of preference.

The dials do run pretty smooth. X-wing dials have gotten better over time, but I also developed a "trick" to make them fit easier. I taper the hole on the inside of the upper part of the dial with a knife (1-2mm). I noticed that dials tend to warp when you push in the top part on the second part, so making this process easier makes the final product turn smoothly.

I am waiting for Wave 1, as I want the cards. I also plan on being pretty casual about it, and want to be able to play either side (not optimized, but at least be able to play) to make it easier to get games on.

I had this same problem with one of my joints- while putting it together I tweaked one of the nuns inside resulting in a loose joint. I contacted FFG's customer care about it on Friday. Yesterday a replacement piece showed up at my doorstep, free of charge.

FFG's customer care rocks. :)

This discussion is not helping my wallet.

I want to get a few more ships sooner rather than later but am struggleing with the cost. What to do?

Cool Stuff sells the Core Set for significantly cheaper than MSRP, and they have free shipping for orders of $100 or more.

This discussion is not helping my wallet.

I want to get a few more ships sooner rather than later but am struggleing with the cost. What to do?

Cool Stuff sells the Core Set for significantly cheaper than MSRP, and they have free shipping for orders of $100 or more.

Didn't see an option for U.S. orders there but Amazon had some good deals too. Thanks for helping me spend more money. :)

I've got 1 core set, I'm not planning on getting two.  Yes the extra ships now would be great but since they already announced wave 2 I doubt they get much play once that's released.  Wave 1 should be here anytime and I plan on getting that so an additional core would be a waste even at that price in my opinion.

Thanks for your comments. I went ahead an bought it becuase like was mentioned above 40 bucks for those ships seems like a good enough deal, even if I don't use the 3rd Victory Star Destroyer a lot.

I'd *personally* say Nay unless you're getting a really good deal.

Two cores means getting duplicates of not only ships, but cards too. Notably, the unique named cards.

For example, two cores will get you two VSDs ... but only one of them will have a name. Whereas one core plus the VSD expansion will get you two VSDs, and a selection of three names to choose from. And new upgrade cards. And new commanders.

That being said, the cost on a per ship basis will be lessened with two cores than one core plus all expansion. Plus a second core means more dice which are sorely needed.

I'd *personally* say Nay unless you're getting a really good deal.

Two cores means getting duplicates of not only ships, but cards too. Notably, the unique named cards.

For example, two cores will get you two VSDs ... but only one of them will have a name. Whereas one core plus the VSD expansion will get you two VSDs, and a selection of three names to choose from. And new upgrade cards. And new commanders.

That being said, the cost on a per ship basis will be lessened with two cores than one core plus all expansion. Plus a second core means more dice which are sorely needed.

But if you buy two cores and then buy the expansion anyway, you have the possibility of using three titles :)