Sign in to follow this  
KineticOperator

TIE Punisher gets a Canon Upgrade

It is, however, the one ship the forum has yet to give a Rogue Squadron Stackpole-style nickname. The TIE fighter, TIE bomber, TIE interceptor, TIE advanced, TIE defender and TIE phantom have "eyeball", "dupe", "squint", "bright", "trip" and "blink." What's this? I don't think "pent" really does it justice.

TIE Stare

TIE four eyes

I don't like the name because it doesn't match the naming scheme for movie TIEs. They all had descriptive names: fighter, interceptor, bomber, advanced. The empire reserves poetic names for super weapons: death star, etc. I'd rather it was called TIE heavy bomber, TIE assault bomber, TIE bomber advanced, something like that.

Like the TIE Phantom?

I don't like the name because it doesn't match the naming scheme for movie TIEs. They all had descriptive names: fighter, interceptor, bomber, advanced. The empire reserves poetic names for super weapons: death star, etc. I'd rather it was called TIE heavy bomber, TIE assault bomber, TIE bomber advanced, something like that.

Like the TIE Phantom?

Phantom was a special case, the phantom fleet was considered to be a superweapon. A fleet of cloaking starfighters... yeah.

Defender was also a special case, considered the pinnacle of Starfighter design.

Edited by DariusAPB

Like the TIE Phantom?

Phantom was a special case, the phantom fleet was considered to be a superweapon. A fleet of cloaking starfighters... yeah.

Defender was also a special case, considered the pinnacle of Starfighter design.

So we have a super interceptor with a special name. And a Super Advanced with a special name. So shoupdn't the Super Bomber have a special name?

This said, I'm not a fan of the eggbox design. maybe a 2 pod 1 cockpit alternate, but a full 4 pods 1 cockpit looks silly.

Especially considering it can only really carry ONE MORE BOMB in all those pods over the (single-bomb) TIE Bomber.

I get the symmetry, I even understand that it was a "real" thing, but I think the twin-pod bomber would have been a better choice, given that it has NO WHERE NEAR 4x the capacity...

This said, I'm not a fan of the eggbox design. maybe a 2 pod 1 cockpit alternate, but a full 4 pods 1 cockpit looks silly.

Especially considering it can only really carry ONE MORE BOMB in all those pods over the (single-bomb) TIE Bomber.

I get the symmetry, I even understand that it was a "real" thing, but I think the twin-pod bomber would have been a better choice, given that it has NO WHERE NEAR 4x the capacity...

Yes, because in game ordnance capacity is indicitave of in universe capacity.

They filled the thing with as many ordnance slots as they could. That one bomb slot represents like 4 times the bomb capacity.

Especially considering functionally it can carry 4 bombs now.(althought the bomber can carry two.)

Your argument is based on a false premise and while I don't think you were being disingenuous it suggests you didn't put a lot of though into the game design side of things.

The Punisher offers more than just more bomb space. It has shields. It has specific lore. And frankly, it looks cooler than some overwide tie bomber. Heck it's probably a sturdier model for this design choice too.

1) There is no longer an Interdictor of either kind. So complaining about the name belonging to one or the other is pointless.

2) In the real world an Interdictor is a fighter that interdicts:

An interdictor is a type of attack aircraft that operates far behind enemy lines, with the express intent of interdicting the enemy's military targets, most notably those involved in logistics. The interdiction prevents or delays enemy forces and supplies from reaching the battlefront. The term has generally fallen from use. The strike fighter is a closely related concept, but puts more emphasis on air-to-air combat capabilities (fighter part).

In the post-war era, the RAF introduced Interdictor variants of their English Electric Canberra jet bomber, the aircraft being available as the strategic bombing role had been taken over by the new V bombers. An early interdictor was the F-111, an aircraft able to operate at long distances from its base. The Panavia Tornado was built for a similar purpose, although operating over shorter ranges in the European theatre. The Soviet Sukhoi Su-24/Sukhoi Su-34, Chinese Xian JH-7 and the aborted British TSR-2 are similar interdictor designs.

Interdictors

Now stop wasting forum space for Pete's sake. Edited by gabe69velasquez

I had no idea it is limited...

And who said that the purpose of the TIE Interdictor wasn't to interdict.

A) no one said the space is limited but people's attention spans and time are.

B) You seem to think someone did, why don't you tell us?

I said real world fighters, did you miss the quote?

Probleme aufgepasst? Ich frage mich warum.  ;)
Edited by gabe69velasquez

The problem here is not with the Punisher.  It having 6 ordnance slots makes sense.

The problem here is that the Bomber had way too many slots to begin with.  It carries 5 times the ordnance of a Y-Wing, and that's ridiculous.  It's standard loadout is 8 Torpedoes(same as the Y-Wing), and 16 Missiles(only 4 more than the A-Wing), yet it has twice the torpedo and missile slots of both those ships combined for some reason.

The TIE Bomber should have had one just one slot each of Torpedoes, Missiles and Bombs.

Edited by DarthEnderX

I've always thought the Bomber should have had a lot more capacity than limited munitions that WEG gave it. Unfortunately those numbers carried over to TIE Fighter and soon became 'canon'. I could totally understand if the Bomber could carry 16 missiles, 12 Toros and proton bombs at the same time. That ordenance pod is pretty big.

Also I will be (slightly) disappointed if the Punisher didn't have at least one pilot that allowed a volley of munitions to be fired in one round, perhaps at lower range of red dice. Or perhaps using up 2 or more missile/torp upgrade cards/tokens to make one big attack with one extra red die per extra missile. Yeah, I have would love to unload a 7 or 8 die missile, even if I couldn't attack next round and it costs as much as whole other ship.

1) There is no longer an Interdictor of either kind. So complaining about the name belonging to one or the other is pointless.

Now stop wasting forum space for Pete's sake.

Not true, there are at least two interdictor heavy cruiser designs (Detainer CC-2200 and Immobilizer 418, collectively called Interdictors) in the current canon, both mentioned by name and used in the Tarkin novel.

And yes, they're used both to prevent ships from escaping into hyperspace and to violently pull ships out of hyperspace.

Edited by Koshinn

Galactic Battlegrounds came out in 2001. 14 years of habit isn't going to die overnight.

Well, it was just called the TIE Advanced Bomber in that game, so that argument ain't gonna fly. (Unless you can show me a screencap of it being called anything else.)

It was first identified as the Interdictor in FFG's Star Wars RPG book, "Stay on Target," in 2014.

EDIT: Huh. I managed to miss that there were 3 more pages of discussion.

Edited by Ixidor