Sign in to follow this  
Kingsguard

Is the K-Wing price acurrate?

I assume it's also partly due to the extra large cardboard tokens.

Even if the price is justified (larger ship therefore larger pack), I don't like this price creep. Are we going to see less of the traditional (small) small-based fighters being priced at £11.99 RRP? The Starviper contained mandatory upgrades for Interceptors and that had a higher price point of £16.99 RRP, and now the super bombers likewise have ordnance fixes at higher retail value.

The cost probably reflects increased shipping costs in addition to the bigger model and extra items over a standard blister. You fit fewer medium size blisters in a shipping container, so it costs more to have them transported, per unit.

In any case, we pay a little more and we get a little more; I don't see a problem there. If the price of the standard blisters went up, I could understand complaints.

Edited by Babaganoosh

The cozy probably reflects increased shipping costs in addition to the bigger model and extra items over a standard blister. You fit fewer medium size blisters in a shipping container, so it costs more to have them transported, per unit.

In any case, we pay a little more and we get a little more; I don't see a problem there. If the price of the standard blisters went up, I could understand complaints.

According to the info there is the same number of them in a box as the usual ships. I understand it's slightly bigger than many small base ships but it's no Lambda Shuttle....

As ever, there is a simple solution if you aren't happy with the price: don't buy it.

Or if you absolutely MUST have it, then shop around for discounts. I paid 25% off RRP for my Wave 6. As it goes, I don't think I have paid RRP for more than two of my ships altogether.

Or, you know, you could just sit and moan about it forever. :)

As ever, there is a simple solution if you aren't happy with the price: don't buy it.

Or if you absolutely MUST have it, then shop around for discounts. I paid 25% off RRP for my Wave 6. As it goes, I don't think I have paid RRP for more than two of my ships altogether.

See, perhaps I'm wrong but I don't see it this way.

Many players, including myself, have invested a substantial amount of money in this game already. If these players wish to continue to play competitively (or, in the case of interceptors and ordnance, receive fixes for things that got broken or never worked in the first place) then they have to continue to buy products. We're not complaining about buying more products to receive fixes, but I think it's valid to shown concern that the small-based ship prices are averaging higher than previous waves now.

Even if the price is justified (larger ship therefore larger pack), I don't like this price creep. Are we going to see less of the traditional (small) small-based fighters being priced at £11.99 RRP? The Starviper contained mandatory upgrades for Interceptors and that had a higher price point of £16.99 RRP, and now the super bombers likewise have ordnance fixes at higher retail value.

The StarViper came with an upgrade that's very nice for ships with boost, and it's been enthusiastically adopted by people who like Interceptors. It did not come with anything "mandatory", as you can tell by looking at the list that won Nationals.

The K-wing and Interdictor Punisher also don't come with anything mandatory. They also don't come packaged with an ordnance fix. In fact, if you're planning on buying either ship solely for an "ordnance fix", I'd suggest skipping them instead (because I think it's silly to buy any ship solely for an upgrade card).

The new heavy Bombers do come with a card that makes stacking multiple pieces of ordnance on heavy bombers cheaper. Unfortunately, they're also both big miniatures, so they require a bigger box with a slightly higher price point. There is no "price creep", and I seriously doubt there's any intent to gouge players by forcing them to spend an extra $5 (or £5, and I sympathize with how that works against you).

The StarViper came with an upgrade that's very nice for ships with boost, and it's been enthusiastically adopted by people who like Interceptors. It did not come with anything "mandatory", as you can tell by looking at the list that won Nationals.

The K-wing and Interdictor Punisher also don't come with anything mandatory. They also don't come packaged with an ordnance fix. In fact, if you're planning on buying either ship solely for an "ordnance fix", I'd suggest skipping them instead (because I think it's silly to buy any ship solely for an upgrade card).

The new heavy Bombers do come with a card that makes stacking multiple pieces of ordnance on heavy bombers cheaper. Unfortunately, they're also both big miniatures, so they require a bigger box with a slightly higher price point. There is no "price creep", and I seriously doubt there's any intent to gouge players by forcing them to spend an extra $5 (or £5, and I sympathize with how that works against you).

Fixed your naming conflict.  ;)

A price increase is inevitable. Now, I don't think the new "medium" sized packaging is a sign of this, but it also shows that they aren't quite willing to cut into their margins anymore than they have to. 

Many players, including myself, have invested a substantial amount of money in this game already. If these players wish to continue to play competitively (or, in the case of interceptors and ordnance, receive fixes for things that got broken or never worked in the first place) then they have to continue to buy products. We're not complaining about buying more products to receive fixes, but I think it's valid to shown concern that the small-based ship prices are averaging higher than previous waves now.

So as I say, shop around for a discount.  It isn't hard.  Like I say, I have a large collection (to the point where I genuinely can't think of anything else to buy for the game until Wave 7 hits) and I have paid RRP on only about 2 ships.  

So as I say, shop around for a discount.  It isn't hard.  Like I say, I have a large collection (to the point where I genuinely can't think of anything else to buy for the game until Wave 7 hits) and I have paid RRP on only about 2 ships.  

Oh don't worry, I do shop around for discounts. Chaos Cards UK is a great online retailer for this product, currently offering the StarViper for £9.95 (down from £16.99) for example. This isn't about the price I can get a product for, it's about the RRP.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the pricing of these products specifically because I appreciate that they are good value compared with other products. I just have a concern that these 'medium' small-based ships may potentially increase in frequency in future waves to drive profits.

\tin foil hat

Having said that, I would debase myself publicly for a Skipray Blastboat or Missile Boat release.... :)

Autothrusters isn't mandatory. It's questionable if it's even worth the two points and mod slot against a turretless squadron.

The K-wing and Punisher are in the larger packs because 1: they wanted to include more ordnance upgrades and 2: they weren't an easy fit into the smaller packaging when you take into account that these are on display so it's also a case of positioning them in an attractive manner). They're not about to stick Scyks in jumbo blisters.

honestly, though, talk about "price creep" is a load of ****

This wave has big bulky bastards coming our way. Everything but the fighter is jumbo-sized respective to their bases

but the normal sized fighter is still charging normal prices for a small ship. If there were indeed price creep, that little bastard would also be tearing $20 out of your wallet (retail)

it's a packaging issue made in order to preserve the scaling of the game, unless you'd all rather be playing with teeny, tiny child-friendly vipers/ks/punishers that do more to look adorable than combat-capable  :P

Edited by ficklegreendice

Really?  You think autothrusters isn't an auto-include on interceptors?  Flipping that blank to an evade has saved me a ton of times on range 3 shots.  It's so nice.  Sometimes, surviving that initial long-range shot means getting a great set-up the next turn.

Aye - but there is a difference between mandatory to play the game at all vs a personal decision include a card in your list to make a ship more competitive 

Edited by nathankc

Really?  You think autothrusters isn't an auto-include on interceptors?  Flipping that blank to an evade has saved me a ton of times on range 3 shots.  It's so nice.  Sometimes, surviving that initial long-range shot means getting a great set-up the next turn.

Aye - but there is a difference between mandatory to play the game at all vs a personal decision include a card in your list to make a ship more competitive 

to be fair, 2 thrusters per viper is definitely FFG's way of saying "sorry"

a far cry different from the "oh, PTL's amazing on interceptors? Guess you gotta buy our A-wings, eh?" days

I do wish they had alt-art thrusters as part of the tournie prize kit, but the alt art PTL is also very badass ^_^

Edited by ficklegreendice

If you don't want it, don't buy it. The idea that you need to purchase the newest thing to be successful is false. I just went 5-0 in a tournament with a list that has 0 components from Wave 6. If there was power creep in this game, it stopped at Wave 5. 

And the idea that small ships are getting a universal price increase to $20 is disproven by the Kihrax's $15 price tag in the same wave. 

I will admit, now that I know both the K-Wing and the Punisher will be $20, I will probably just be getting 2 K-Wings instead of 2 of both, at least initially. Whether I buy 2 Punishers or a second Firespray will depend on how much better Cluster Mines over Prox Mines.