Sign in to follow this  
DWRR

DWRR's Shipyard

Those look really nice. If I may ask, the bases of the ships look really great. What did you do there?

I spray painted the plastics black and then used a nice thick black marker pen to colour in the sides of the cardboard. It was that bit that tied everything together for me, finished off the look.

Thanks for sharing man. Appreciate the questions answered as well. I am going to use your suggestions on painting the base and the marker on the cards thing. It really makes the model appear more crisp.

That gladiator and frigate look awesome! Great work. I'm considering repainting my gladiator, as I am disappointed with the ffg-look. I am quite a beginner though, and wondering the steps you took to get that awesome result. As you notice from the other reactions, if you made any youtube tutorials, you would get a lot of views ;)

That gladiator and frigate look awesome! Great work. I'm considering repainting my gladiator, as I am disappointed with the ffg-look. I am quite a beginner though, and wondering the steps you took to get that awesome result. As you notice from the other reactions, if you made any youtube tutorials, you would get a lot of views ;)

For mine. it's a total repaint meaning that I replace the colour. Basically similar steps to when I'm doing my tank and ship models.

1. No need to remove paint. Just air brush Mr Finishing Surfacer 1500 Black onto the model. Of course you must thin it with the corresponding thinner in the the 1 black primer : 1 thinner ratio
  2. Select your colour scheme. For me I look into history for my colour schemes.
  3. I wash mine with Nulin Oil from Citadel.

All my star destroyers are painted the same way.

1. White primer

2. Full base coat of (very) pale grey

3. Use a watered down darker blue grey and paint it into the lower areas and recesses.

A1723C70-185E-4342-8848-B4FB237A1483_zps 

4. Nuln Oil wash, neat without watering it down - This creates the main colour hue for the hull.

CC3461DA-73A5-4098-BAA0-874F00620145_zps

5. The final stage is to line highlight ALL THE EDGES! I use the same pale grey I base coated the ship with.

I'm still not sold on the idea of highlighting the edges. At the moment I settle for washed look.

Speaking of which... I might need to pick up the panel lines for mine even more

Edited by cruiser2710

Had some time today for some finishing touches.

I was never happy with the thin spindly ID markings on my second VSD so went back and went bold.

87D84774-C738-441C-A376-3C546DA486F3_zps

I took the ivory colour highlights to a pure white on both and added a red stripe to one of the Nebs. Looking at the pic I reckon I'm going to add some shading to the red.

C601533C-854F-4DC7-A1E0-87781A78091F_zps

I also repainted Tycho's A-Wing and touched up some of the other fighter, adding engine glow to the Y-Wings and details to the B-wings.

D2C1A83F-904B-407C-90E8-3B6EE9762B3B_zps

Edited by DWRR

Your stuff looks great! I actually kind of like the mismatched look of your rebel ships with the original ivory colors mixed in. I'm glad I saw this because I was considering using something like bonewhite as a base for my Nebs but I might go with gray. The rebel color seems tricky to replicate - like light gray with a tad of ochre.

Also, I like the idea of pre-shading areas to accent a wash. I'll have to try that. I've also found out the hard way that Nuln (and most acrylic washes) also act like a filter. I've been experimenting with Mig Ammo oil washes because you can use a brush moistened with thinner to "clean up" your wash after it sits a few minutes. If you sealed the acryil paint with something before washing with Nuln, you might be able to remove some from the flat areas with a brush dipped in alcohol.